Pipe Smokers

A reasonable but probably wrong answer - this is the first pipe from a new packet :). (Of the same tobacco from the same vendor.) I'm certainly no closer to the holy grail of enjoying it in a relaxed manner and not having to relight at all - but is that even a realistic hope?

Actually, this is where I should be asking for advice, so let me so do: given that I smoke no more than once a week at present (comfortably less, in fact), would you still recommend moving the tobacco to a jar to air? It's Kentucky Nougat, if that makes any difference. Pretty sure the tobacconist had it in a jar, actually.

Re: RE: Pipe Smokers

Dr Rick said:
A reasonable but probably wrong answer - this is the first pipe from a new packet :). (Of the same tobacco from the same vendor.) I'm certainly no closer to the holy grail of enjoying it in a relaxed manner and not having to relight at all - but is that even a realistic hope?

Actually, this is where I should be asking for advice, so let me so do: given that I smoke no more than once a week at present (comfortably less, in fact), would you still recommend moving the tobacco to a jar to air? It's Kentucky Nougat, if that makes any difference. Pretty sure the tobacconist had it in a jar, actually.

Definitely. You can find cheap yet good glass jars with silicone sealing keeping your baccy with the right moisture and aroma. Sealing your tobacco air-tight is a must when smoking aromatics.

I don't have any samples but what a cracking idea.

I'm seeing my man Glyn tomorrow at Gauntleys in Nottingham. The tiny shop is always rammed on a Saturday but I'll try to tap him up for some of the latest blend he's working on and then dish some out. Fair dues, what he gives me might need some refining but any feedback could help him make it better.

Who knows, if I get a bit longer with him I might even raise the question of a one-off TSR blend?

Anyway, if you have a look at some of his Youtube videos you'll see he really seems to know his stuff, he's enthusiastic and very approachable. There's a 'Goth' looking bloke who they keep locked in the basement at Gauntleys, he REALLY knows his malts.

They have a 'walk-in' humidor too.

Oh, and did I mention they also sell Vulfix creams, some TOBS stuff, Dovo straights and Merkur DEs?

If I still worked in town I wouldn't have a bean to my name.

Professor Blighty said:
What a very good idea.

I can offer some chocolate flake (rubbed out now), and some Brown Study, which is a nice vanilla aromatic.

I'd love to give those a try! Will go through my stash on the weekend, I've got some Peterson's aromatics, Navy Flake (Mac Baren), University Flake and some Dutch blend (not the special one though :icon_razz:) if you're interested. My fav has been W.O. Larsen Signature but that's almost gone now :(

P.S. have you tried rolling the flake instead? Gives me an hour and a half of smoke that way. Which is too much usually though, as it's quite strong.

Back
Top Bottom