Plisson Brushes

Okay, anyone that has or has had experience with Plisson brushes. Which ones, what size, what hair, etc. I've been granted a Christmas wish and I can buy (1) of any brush I want.

How do they compare to the other big name brushes, etc.

I am in the beginning stages of working with Bill (beejay) on one or two brushes but they do not count towards this one purchase.

Have at it.

I have used three Plisson brushes - High Mountain White, European Grey and Pure. You pay a massive premium for the brand name on the handle. Performance wise, the High Mountain White brush is the only one which I found satisfying. I paid nearly £200 for a brush with a 20mm knot. I bought it only because I wanted examples of their brushes for my Shaving Brush Blog. Plisson survive on their image and reputation earned over many years, if people are prepared to pay their prices I say good luck to them. But you will get outstanding performance from the brushes made by several other brands or custom brush makers. So in response to your specific question, I'd say that the Plisson High Mountain White at least matches the performance of the best quality brushes made by several other well known brands but typically at least three times the price for an equivalent size brush, perhaps more.

Fido said:
I have used three Plisson brushes - High Mountain White, European Grey and Pure. You pay a massive premium for the brand name on the handle. Performance wise, the High Mountain White brush is the only one which I found satisfying. I paid nearly £200 for a brush with a 20mm knot. I bought it only because I wanted examples of their brushes for my Shaving Brush Blog. Plisson survive on their image and reputation earned over many years, if people are prepared to pay their prices I say good luck to them. But you will get outstanding performance from the brushes made by several other brands or custom brush makers. So in response to your specific question, I'd say that the Plisson High Mountain White at least matches the performance of the best quality brushes made by several other well known brands but typically at least three times the price for an equivalent size brush, perhaps more.

Fido, thanks for the reply. I just got through reading your blog on the brush comparisons. I do realize that other manufactures like Simpsons makes some extremely high quality brushes, I have a few of them.

You are correct when you say Plisson is selling on their reputation and in some cases I say that's a plus.

Now, I am being gifted the brush of my choice and money does not enter in to it at all. The Plisson that has caught my eye right now is the size 12 Horn High Mountain White Badger. If not that, the faux Ivory with the same hair and size.

To put this in simple terms, everyone on the block owns a MGB except for the guy on the corner and he has a Jag. I want the Jag.

Trouble is Johnny we all know how Jag's are made so the perceived premium is just that.

Of course it's your choice in the end but if it were me on that budget I'd be contacting Shavemac for something truely special and personalised, that will genuinely turn heads for right reasons.

antdad said:
Trouble is Johnny we all know how Jag's are made so the perceived premium is just that.

Of course it's your choice in the end but if it were me on that budget I'd be contacting Shavemac for something truely special and personalised, that will genuinely turn heads for right reasons.

You just had to remind me how Jags are made. :icon_mrgreen: There use to be a joke over here years ago about food going bad in a Lucas refrigerator.

I listen to all advise and will take everything in to consideration. I will do more research on Shavemac (I'm really not that familiar with them).

Thanks all for the input.

Johnny said:
[I listen to all advise and will take everything in to consideration. I will do more research on Shavemac (I'm really not that familiar with them).

Hi fellow Yankophile,

Shavemac has a very good reputation and it's run by a gentleman named Berndt in Germany. I haven't looked on his site for quite a while, but I believe he now offers some unusual knots for his standard or custom made handles.

If you're looking to end up buying a Plisson, I can recommend Phil at Bullgoose Shaving to help you out. Very good reputation (I've dealt with him numerous times), based in California. I just happen to check and he has a HMW size 12 in horn right now...not to enable you or anything. If I'm not mistaken, he may offer a discount through one of the other shaving forums that you can ask about. Really a nice guy.

Noe for reading about those brushes there's a shaving forum member named DrP. See if you can do a google search for his posts. Now that guy has some brush knowledge.

Hope that helps,

Martin

dodgy said:
Johnny said:
[I listen to all advise and will take everything in to consideration. I will do more research on Shavemac (I'm really not that familiar with them).

Hi fellow Yankophile,

Shavemac has a very good reputation and it's run by a gentleman named Berndt in Germany. I haven't looked on his site for quite a while, but I believe he now offers some unusual knots for his standard or custom made handles.

If you're looking to end up buying a Plisson, I can recommend Phil at Bullgoose Shaving to help you out. Very good reputation (I've dealt with him numerous times), based in California. I just happen to check and he has a HMW size 12 in horn right now...not to enable you or anything. If I'm not mistaken, he may offer a discount through one of the other shaving forums that you can ask about. Really a nice guy.

Noe for reading about those brushes there's a shaving forum member named DrP. See if you can do a google search for his posts. Now that guy has some brush knowledge.

Hope that helps,

Martin
Thanks Martin. I have done a lot of business with Phil. He is the one I purchased my Semogue 2011 LE brush. I always try to buy from Phil if he has what I'm looking for.

Go for it. You know you want to! The problem is that you asked for other people's opinions. Not a good idea when you are set on something you really want!

And you could remind Phil of this:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/243430-BullGoose-Shaving-Plisson-Shave-Brush-Sale

Fido said:
Go for it. You know you want to! The problem is that you asked for other people's opinions. Not a good idea when you are set on something you really want!

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/243430-BullGoose-Shaving-Plisson-Shave-Brush-Sale

Well, this yank is not as set in his way as you might think. I just placed my order for one of these.

SIMPSONS

MERRY CHRISTMAS to me. :)

Johnny said:
Fido said:

Well, this yank is not as set in his way as you might think. I just placed my order for one of these.

SIMPSONS

MERRY CHRISTMAS to me. :)

Great choice Johnny, looks absoluety beautiful.

Jamie.

Back
Top Bottom