Pomade

Even the oil based ones like Dax red?
Yes especially oil based, the old school proper pomade, you can always rework it with a little bit of water.
Water based pomades are like gel, dries the style and if you disturb the style its hard to rework it, but with oil based pomade it wont dry-style the hair, it feels like its always wet and flexible so to speak.

Layrite super hold gets my vote, that or Suavecito.

Water based pomade is fantastic, holds better, washes out a million times better and actually improves the condition of my hair.

I occasionally use oil based, and instantly regret it. Horrible stuff. I remember as a kid my nan used to follow my gramps round with a small towel to put on the headrests of chairs....oil based pomade. That's why.

Pomade... You Brits are so Retro[emoji33]

Ha! Not Brit here, and using pomade!!!:D

And be aware, dear sir, that we are living in a New Golden Age of pomades!

As many before me, I went from hair gel to pomade and the logical step was a waterbased one. Another cheap hobby, if you ask...:rolleyes:

So, I ordered The Daimon Barber #1, my first ever pomade. Nice, classy and all that. Then, I tried Amercian Crew (not bad, but...) , Reuzel Red (good, but too much hold, difficult to style) and Prospectors Gold Rush:p. Excellent, even in the summer in sunny Spain!

Now the temperature is going down, I'm using TDB #2, oil based. Very nice flexibility and pliability and all that, the appearance it gives is awesome, but my hair is a bit sticky and it'll take a while to get rid of it (though the olive oil method will help, for sure).

Waiting are Sweet Georgia Brown (red), traditional pomade from the 1930s and really cheap, and Reuzel Green. Shall see.

Enjoy, gentlemen!

I use products from a small US company called peteandpedro. Their stuff is awesome. For the first time ever I can recreate the same style/look at home as the day I got my hair cut/styled at the hairdressers.

Im amazed no one has mentioned Brylcreem - or would that be considered a bit old hat? Not worn it myself for years, a lack of hair renders this no longer necessary.
Instead I now apply Cherry Blossom boot black.

I've recently gotten into pomades, started with Layrite original, really happy with how it holds and it smells lovely.
After reading/watching reviews I've ordered some Daimon Barber No 1. Reputed to be one of the best water based pomades around.

This. Word for word.

Loved the stuff when I was a teenager and still had hair. Great Eau de Cologne smell and just enough hold.
Sorry if this had been asked or mentioned before. Is the old Brylcreem from 50's or 60's same formula as the new ones?? What about the American Brylcreem? that is different to the British Brylcreem as well. Both the smell and density.
I like the product but both British and American versions are too light hold for my hair. Yes you can keep your hair in that slick back with or without pomp if you have a naturally straight and thin hair, however if you have a vawey hair then Brylcreem would be too light for a good hold.

Sorry if this had been asked or mentioned before. Is the old Brylcreem from 50's or 60's same formula as the new ones?? What about the American Brylcreem? that is different to the British Brylcreem as well. Both the smell and density.
I like the product but both British and American versions are too light hold for my hair. Yes you can keep your hair in that slick back with or without pomp if you have a naturally straight and thin hair, however if you have a vawey hair then Brylcreem would be too light for a good hold.
Not sure on the formula differences, but it sounds like you'd suit a product like Layrite. Good hold, nice vanilla scent and washes out easily like Brylcreem.

Back
Top Bottom