Poor mans Nickel plating

So I saw some tutorials about Nickel plating. Some used store bought Nickel Acetate but I found one which shows how to make a Nickel Electrolyte from household items. I don't want to get into this in a serious way, just a bit of fun, so I didn't want to spend much. Tight's my middle name. Skint is another. Anyway a while back I posted pics of a Gillette Tech I has tried to strip the Nickel plate off just leaving the bare brass razor. Another tight arse project using Harpic toilet cleaner. Here's how it came out...

3663bb98-0403-4fa0-b558-bc4e3fe09621_zpsp3bo51h1.jpg

So after a few hours last night in the kitchen I put the Nickel back on. Here's the same razor now...

076c1b00-fd4b-4210-9b93-c2965641edad_zpsfovwiv7c.jpg

It's not perfect and I wouldn't be too happy is I paid for the finish but for a first attempt I thiink it well fairly well. The tutorial is very clear but there's still a learning process obviously. I didn't go mad regarding prep as I don't have the power tools which would be great for buffing the razor prior to plating. Most surface marks prior to plating will still be visable after plating. All I did was polish and clean by hand.

10055345-ea9a-4960-89b5-1a1e2ecc775f_zpstgitnyvf.jpg

The camera shows areas of thin plating most of which can't be seen unless in bright daylight. Lesson there was don't do this in the kitchen at night.

e9200df5-d166-418b-98ba-380d584208b1_zpsc9lywxyq.jpg

Another pic showing the need for good prep, although the base plate is actually much better than the pic suggests....

5d4b97cb-a840-494c-a0b7-8e99ffd0bb61_zpshfsacj0v.jpg

That's it. Here's the link I followed....http://www.instructables.com/id/High-Quality-and-safe-Nickel-Plating/?ALLSTEPS There's many more but most use either commercial Nickel electrolyte or use some nasty chemicals to make it. I used vinegar. I bought the Nickel here..http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262348697413?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT Before anyone jumps into this I have no idea if the finish is durable in the long term or if my first attempt can be improved upon. It might not be the way to go. Maybe the Nickel source isn't the best who knows. Just sharing my fun project for tight arses is all. The whole thing cost around £30. Next I'll try copper plating.

2bb5148a-e845-4616-9a92-22038e16dcc7_zpssn5ferqz.jpg

I plated each piece then polished it, cleaned it and plated again. The cap and plate are good but the handle just isn't quite right somehow. I polished an plated that maybe 3 times. I polished with some gusto because it shouldn't come off if it's done right. My thinking is I didn't have my elecrolite right from the start. I reckon it was depleted by the time I got to the handle. Dunno. As I say there's a learning process.

The biggest variation to my set up and the author is the size of the nickel anodes. He's using pretty big pieces and mine from the supplied link are maybe an inch square and half an inch thick. I reckon I should have taken more time 'charging' the vinegar.

Another thought, maybe wrongly, is I used Harpic bog cleaner to de plate the razor in the first place. The active ingredient is Hydrochloric acid. Maybe that had an effect on the handle I don't know. Reverse electrolysis sounds like a good idea as a final stage of prep.

I think there's a lot of variables at play here. For example my crocodile clips didn't fit on the handle so I attached a wire loop to handle and clip. Next I'll get adequate sized clips for a better connection. A lot of these tutorials show them plating coins but razors and coins are a different ball game in this kinda poor mans set up.

Disclaimer...
Everything I just wrote might be crap.

Billy the copper plating's a bit of a gamble. I've only seen coins being done so no evidence of the longevity or toughness of the finish. I'll gi the Tech a coat as copper needs a Nickel base anyway.

Threw caution to the wind tonight and Nickel plated a Pocket Edition OLD. It was a bit of a gamble as well because it was silver plated, albeit with a fair bit of brassing. I couldn't find any info on plating Nickel over silver so I just went for it. It's turned out stonkin. I'm well pleased with the result. Mind you I ignored my own advice and done it after dark so daylight might bring a disappointment. It's looking pretty awesome though. Pics to follow tomorrow.

I was right about that Tech handle. Tried to plate it again tonight and it's just not taking any more plate for some reason, yet the OLD handle sucked up Nickel like an alky during happy hour.

Yeah I sold ya a USA pre war in brass Paul. The easy way using nasty chemicals is hydrochloric acid. It's sold as such on ebay. Also called Muriatic acid, Brick acid and patio cleaner. 5 litres can be had for around £12. I had mixed results with Harpic which contains low Hydrochloric acid content. Around 8% IIRC. I had to do a bit of work on the nickel with sandpaper first to weaken it. The Harpic project took weeks and wasn't great. I thought there was a reverse electrolysis method of plate removal but it seems not.

My final thought is to get a gold Tech cap. The gold polishes off easy.

Fine! I've got brick acid ... concrete remover.

The difficulty with the '40s British Tech is the twin slot. There's loads of gold American, but they're long slot. I have to strip a British cap from the period.

Right! Brick acid it is ...

So attempt number two. The Gillette pocket edition OLD type with thin cap. Made in Canada. I've shaved with a fair few OLD's and this is the smoothest of the lot by far so I wanted to replate it. Here it is beforehand with the original but tatty silver plating....

792b44be-9478-44a2-b94d-ef919ac8b2d6_zpsc1y2exqk.jpg

And here it is now...

96aa5b3c-b698-4c43-ac5a-9f6f7c3e5613_zpspd4mxzcs.jpg

I'm delighted with the outcome. I missed one spot on the base plate where the handle meets. These bits are tricky and require tilting and turning the object while plating to get the angles covered. Flat surfaces are easier.

91951259-a249-482a-abcb-a5e4ecbcdf69_zpsz8rfrgq0.jpg

Some pitting still visible on the top cap. Not much I can do about that...

e31ec8c3-734d-48d2-8c8d-5fd742b07eaa_zpsoqn3dle7.jpg

Obviously flaws are magnified on camera. In the hand the razor looks pretty damn good. Unlike the Tech I wouldn't be too disappointed had I paid for this, apart from the handle recess on the base plate. Thing to remember for anyone thinking of having a go is to have realistic expectations. If ya plate a beat up old razor you'll still have a beat up old razor, with better plating.

fdf6c47a-ef07-493b-a6f4-df7b2aec83ce_zpsvpbnbzf8.jpg

59b8f35d-dc10-46d6-94f6-c1f6f711b5ab_zpsfhp06rvg.jpg

Safe to conclude then that the poor mans plating kit made from vinegar and salt actually works. I'm well chuffed.
It's also worth noting that Nickel can be plated over silver. I couldn't find anything definitive about that on T'interweb.

Dave, that looks pretty good. I think the point to make is about preparation - if you spend some time rubbing down any obvious scratches (with wet and dry, steel wool, micro-cloths etc.) the end result will look that much better. This is probably more important on the parts that are most on view including the top cap.

You're absolutely right about prep Rob. Anyone wanting to do this in large numbers would be advised to get some power tools. Also nickel comes out the bath dull so it needs polished in the final stage and between coats. All in all it can become quite labour intensive, hence the need for proper tools.

So attempt number two. The Gillette pocket edition OLD type with thin cap. Made in Canada. I've shaved with a fair few OLD's and this is the smoothest of the lot by far so I wanted to replate it. Here it is beforehand with the original but tatty silver plating....

792b44be-9478-44a2-b94d-ef919ac8b2d6_zpsc1y2exqk.jpg

And here it is now...

96aa5b3c-b698-4c43-ac5a-9f6f7c3e5613_zpspd4mxzcs.jpg

I'm delighted with the outcome. I missed one spot on the base plate where the handle meets. These bits are tricky and require tilting and turning the object while plating to get the angles covered. Flat surfaces are easier.

91951259-a249-482a-abcb-a5e4ecbcdf69_zpsz8rfrgq0.jpg

Some pitting still visible on the top cap. Not much I can do about that...

e31ec8c3-734d-48d2-8c8d-5fd742b07eaa_zpsoqn3dle7.jpg

Obviously flaws are magnified on camera. In the hand the razor looks pretty damn good. Unlike the Tech I wouldn't be too disappointed had I paid for this, apart from the handle recess on the base plate. Thing to remember for anyone thinking of having a go is to have realistic expectations. If ya plate a beat up old razor you'll still have a beat up old razor, with better plating.

fdf6c47a-ef07-493b-a6f4-df7b2aec83ce_zpsvpbnbzf8.jpg

59b8f35d-dc10-46d6-94f6-c1f6f711b5ab_zpsfhp06rvg.jpg

Safe to conclude then that the poor mans plating kit made from vinegar and salt actually works. I'm well chuffed.
It's also worth noting that Nickel can be plated over silver. I couldn't find anything definitive about that on T'interweb.
Wow..That looks Stunning..I am Surprized that there isn't more Interest around here on this..Then again a lot of them cant lather a Soap never mind Plate a Razor..Wait a Minute..It might be the Hard Water that effects your Replating Job..:D

Billy

Looks very nice, congrats. On the subject of power tools, seem to remember Dr Terror posting that he'd bought a bench polisher/grinder for £20 from ?Sainsburys. For that sort of money, it would pay for itself after a couple of razors.

Back
Top Bottom