Popped my R41 Cherry

Had my first shave with a R41 tonight, using the Derby blade that came with it. I prepared in my usual way, and used T&H soap and an Omega brush.

So, who won?

Well, the R41 shows a huge amount of blade. It looks a bit naughty. When you shave with it you sense it has a dark side; it does get stuck in and on with the job. I had a two pass shave, one WTG and one ATG. No cuts, no blood, no issues. Keeping a shallow angle meant a very close and pretty smooth shave.

I went straight in with AS afterwards and there was a little more sting than usual around my neck, but nothing too bad.

A keeper for sure!

Sounds like you've enjoyed it, it's a real marmite razor with maybe half really positive and half running screaming for the hills, there never seems to be anyone saying "hmm, it's alright".

It does show a huge piece of blade beyond the comb... I found that really quite frightening when I first saw how much sticks out... it's what gives it that "danger" feel I think. You soon forget it, then now and again you spot it once again, and you say "f*ck".

I can imagine. For some reason the best way I can describe it is to compare it to driving a MKV Cortina I had in the 80s in the rain. Pretty quick and comfy when I concentrated, but happy to show me where I had just been if I went quick without thinking about it....

Oh God yes you have to concentrate, my R41 has only drawn blood once and it was minor... went a tiny bit quick and got a single blood spot. But in general I think it's something that really concentrates you anyway, the gap, exposure and reputation just say "switch on sunshine" and you do somehow.

I couldn't shave with this daily pre-work, I'm too groggy then. I need some time and some relaxation, I couldn't rush a quick swipe with one of these, it can and will bite a proper chunk.

For some reason I need a good amount of stubble too. Don't like showing it a cleanish 24 hour face as I worry it'll get too greedy and bite more off... stupid, I know.

Three days in now, and the R41 has been used three time in about 40 hours. It's now due for a blade change, but all I can say is wow! I don't think my face has ever been this smooth after two-pass shaves.

Fantastic razor!

Orangesport your R41 experience sounds very similar to mine, I have now used it exclusively for nearly a month and I love the way it shaves and leaves my face so smooth.

OrangeSport said:
It does seem dangerously close to making other razors redundant!

It is the only razor I have bought which has made me consider selling others, not done it yet, but still as they say 'it is the thought that counts'.

OrangeSport said:
Shave the night before. It's greedy enough to be smooth in the morning...

A night time shave is fine, but I only really look presentable until about midday before the stubble is becoming really noticeable, even with the R41.

I really need to shave in the morning if I want to look clean shaven all day, and then if going out in the evening another shave is required.

Back
Top Bottom