Portable DAB Radio

I've currently got a "cheapy" from Aldi, very much like (the same?) the John Lewis Spectrum.
Its fine, but its clunky in operation and you need to start from scratch each time you turn it off...
So I'm looking for a nice DAB radio for camping, ~£50.
The Pure One Classic II seems to be the ONE at this price range, but the are SO many to choose from.
Don't need any fancy options, just good DAB/FM reception, decent sound and good battery life.
Any gone got any experience?

I haven't got the Pure One Classic II but I do have a Pure Evoke 2 (in my den), a Pure Contour (internet radio) and a Pure Chronos (beside the bed). Each is excellent for its respective intended purpose. Sound quality on the Evoke 2 is superb, although I would note the Contour and the Chronos are not just in the same league as the Evoke, they are still miles better than the supermarket specials.

Roberts is also a very good make from previous experience but I'm now a Pure convert so haven't had any Roberts in recent years.

I have several.

Pure Evoke One
Pure One Mi
Goodmans GSR75WDAB
Philips AE2012

All very good even if some are a little older. The Philips is good, but battery wise very poor, x6 AAA's only last around six hours of play.

The best of the bunch is the Pure One Mi. I bagged it for something silly, can't recall but think it was under £5, brand new at Tesco a while ago. I did post on here as a heads up and a few people purchased them. Out of the box it only has a mains charger no no battery pack. I purchased a rechargeable which once charged lasts around eight hours.

Also have DAB in the Audi which is superb, never looses signal and always crystal clear.

Thanks folks.
So much choice!
I kinda like the idea of solar but not sure if it will add any listening time. Checking out reviews now!
It does need to be fairly robust I'd say as camping can be a little rough on things.

...course it will add listening time.

IF you go for that there will be a switch somewhere activating the charging circuit (perhaps in batt box), can't be trying to charge standard batts.

Greetings
Pure make (IMHO) excellent DAB radios, I have two 'indoor models,' for camping I have a Sony
XDR-S55DAB and I mention it so you can avoid it, as it is crap and it cost me over fifty quid! It eats batteries on DAB and sounds like a man talking with his head in a bucket.

I have to own up and state I did not understand before I bought this radio that DAB uses several times as much battery life as FM as my PURE radios run off the mains; thus I listen to the Sony on FM as much as possible when I am away in the tent. A friend of mine who is 'into' electronics explained to me why this was but it went over my head!

Regards
Dick.

I have that Roberts solar DAB radio. It replaced a Sony FM radio which would last months on a couple of AAs. From past experience, DAB radios eat batteries, or at least the early models did, so I fancied the solar.

The Roberts has been good, but (a) the sound isn't as good as the Sony was and (b) once in a while I turn it off, and 5 second later it turns back on. With the solar, the batteries last ages. Mine charges in the bathroom through a frosted window, and is always ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom