Pre-shave lotions -do they work?

I too don't have much experience but I use the Proraso pre-shave & I've noticed the difference if I don't use it. For me it makes the shave smoother & helps alleviate any tenderness. I would recommend it, but it may well be that as we're all different it works better or worse depending on the individual.

UKRob said:
Another theory (of mine) is that some people benefit more than others purely based on their skin type - I happen to have quite dry skin so maybe this is a factor with me.

I completely agree with that statement. I use proraso every shave and can definitely tell the difference on the odd occasion I forget, but then I also have dry skin that is prone to irritation. The pre-shave moisturisation definitely helps prepare my skin and stops the razor burn I used to experience.

However - if you've got tough or oily skin then it may make no difference at all so definitely a case of YMMV. I wouldn't like to see anyone discouraged from trying it out though - just because it doesn't work for all doesn't preclude it from working for some.

chrisbell said:
I swear by Proraso pre/post - after I give my beard area a thorough wash with glycerine soap, I do a hot flannel prep for a minute or so, then rub the pre-post into my beard. I find that it helps maintain the softness while I make my lather - if I just leave my face damp, the hair seems to harden a bit. It also means that I only need to use the hot flannel for about a minute - I find the full three minutes rather tedious. Bear in mid that I have coarse beard hair, though - even after a near-BBS shave, I still have a faint shadow.

Chris, have you tried applying the pre-shave before the hot towel? On the one occasion that I had the full barbershop treatment, this was the routine they used. I now do this (having added Proraso since my last post) with the result that I'm getting a really comfortable shave generally.

UKRob said:
chrisbell said:
I swear by Proraso pre/post - after I give my beard area a thorough wash with glycerine soap, I do a hot flannel prep for a minute or so, then rub the pre-post into my beard. I find that it helps maintain the softness while I make my lather - if I just leave my face damp, the hair seems to harden a bit. It also means that I only need to use the hot flannel for about a minute - I find the full three minutes rather tedious. Bear in mid that I have coarse beard hair, though - even after a near-BBS shave, I still have a faint shadow.

Chris, have you tried applying the pre-shave before the hot towel? On the one occasion that I had the full barbershop treatment, this was the routine they used. I now do this (having added Proraso since my last post) with the result that I'm getting a really comfortable shave generally.

I did try that a couple of times, but I didn't think it made much difference. I really use the Proraso to keep my beard soft while I prepare lather - I use the glycerine soap and then the hot flannel to do the initial softening, so all the Proraso has to do is keep some moisture in and around my beard and maintain that level of softness.

Proraso for me - I have strong bristles and find it makes a difference. I put it on after washing then leave it whilst making the lather. Hot flannel for about a minute then away we go.

I got some Trumpers skin food which I tried for a while and although it helped it was not a patch on the Proraso.

I have just finished a bottle of T & H pre shave oil. Will I be getting another? Yes I love the stuff and think it does add extra comfort & glide to my (straight) shave.

I think it's also important how you use a pre shave.
My routine is, wash with a face scrub or plain hot water. Thoroughly dry face then apply pre shave oil. Weekends I add a hot towel at this point.
Next I lather up in a bowl and paint the lather on.
If I am face lathering I don't do pre shave oil.

The aroma that wafts under a hot towel from the T & H pre shave oil is to die for!

Bit of an old thread to dig up so apologies. I have recently started using T&H Ultimate comfort preshave oil and I feel it makes a difference to my shave. It makes the shave feel nicer and smoother, and my skin feels less irritated after I've finished.

I have oily skin so the "dry-skin theory" doesn't apply in my case.

It might also be that I'm getting better at shaving of course. Maybe I should try without the oil again but anytime in the past I have noticed a difference in my shaving experience.

Wooster

Hi, everyone. This is my first post and I have to say I love the pre shave oil in bought on amazon. It makes a big difference to my shaving results especially in terms of neck irritation if I'm doing several passes.

Back
Top Bottom