Pre shave oil, daft question

As part of a bundle of goodies for a new DE shaver, I received a bottle of Bluebeard's revenge pre shave oil. I've tried shaving with and without and can't say I've noticed a massive difference either way. Still experimenting though so I'd like to try it for a while longer for a considered view.

My dumb question of the day is this:

For those that use it, do you just apply it pre lather for the first pass, or do you re-apply any for subsequent passes?

I think it's intended to soften whiskers so there doesn't seem to be much point in applying after the first pass. Ideally, you should apply after washing your face and allow some time for it to soak in while making your lather etc. I use a hot towel after applying pre shave as this seems to encourage it to soak into the skin.

I use pre-shave oils and notice a huge difference, mainly because of a cup of coffee between shower and shave. Out of the shower and while my stubble is still full of water I put on the pre-shave - this way I get a good shave. If I let my stubble dry out then the shave is not comfortable at all.

There are some 'slickers' you can put on between passes but I find myself wanting to press down to get a close shave - with the slicker the razor seems to glide over the stubble instead of cutting it. I've probably got one buried on a shelf - not used it after the first few tests.

When I use pre shave oil I apply the oil to dry skin, massage in apply a hot towel/flannel then lather over the top (not over the towel:D)
I use mainly T & H pre shave oil, that reminds me...I've run out!

It's supposed to be a lubricant as opposed to an out and out softener so the theory is that you put it on damp stubble just before your first lather and it's supposed to help with slip.

Really it's not needed if your lather is good, everything that you need slipwise and softening wise is right there in that soapy goodness, but you know what? I'm with Jaycey, I like to spread a bit of T+H oil into a damp face now and then when I'm doing the full on pamper, longer weekend shave on heavy stubble. I just like the experience, so it's an option sometimes.
Yep, dat's an option.

I don't reapply for a second pass, I've had the whole lemony pleasure thing by then and good lather is more than a match for short second pass stubble, as you're finding.

Canuck said:
It's supposed to be a lubricant as opposed to an out and out softener so the theory is that you put it on damp stubble just before your first lather and it's supposed to help with slip.

Really it's not needed if your lather is good, everything that you need slipwise and softening wise is right there in that soapy goodness, but you know what? I'm with Jaycey, I like to spread a bit of T+H oil into a damp face now and then when I'm doing the full on pamper, longer weekend shave on heavy stubble. I just like the experience, so it's an option sometimes.
Yep, dat's an option.

I don't reapply for a second pass, I've had the whole lemony pleasure thing by then and good lather is more than a match for short second pass stubble, as you're finding.

Nice comprehensive answer which makes sense to me. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom