Problem Area

Guys, I come seeking your help once again

Every time I shave (and I mean every time), I always cut myself in one particular area, sometimes giving myself as many as 4 or 5 nicks. I've been DE shaving since March, so I would have expected an improvement in that area by now. But I seem to be totally static on preventing nicks in that area.

I've not got a problem anywhere else on the face or neck, so it can't be my products. I don't think my angles or pressure are issues - I have tried varying these but without success. My skin isn't especially sensitive, so it can't be thin or temperamental skin I don't think. I was wondering if anyone here had any advice as to what to try.

As a guide, the problem area is circled in red on the picture below:
[attachment=0]

As you can see, it is right on the jawline, and it also extends slightly above the jawline too.

Anyway, I look forward to your suggestions guys, if you have any. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• phpI0gfRbPM.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 197
People always look different to the way you imagine them!

Anyway, my advice would be to pull the skin up from your cheek so that the problem area is flattened out when you shave it. You'll need to give it a few days to settle down. Perhaps forego shaving until the nicks have healed. I use this technique on my Adam's Apple, as if I try to shave there it's so lumpy that I will always cut myself. Hopefully once you settle in to a routine you'll have no problems with this area any more. :D

Do you shave against the grain, if so stop.

Then everything PC mentioned above, can be a little fiddly but try to get that section of skin above the jaw line.

Good luck :shave

I would suggest leave the area for a bit.

When you get back to it, stretch the skin behind the razor. So your pulling the skin in the opposite direction to the razor movement. This stops the skin pushing forward and bunching up which can led to cuts.

RB73 said:
Do you shave against the grain, if so stop.

Sorry, I forgot to say that. I do a WTG, then a ATG. It is normally that ATG that causes the problems, although I do get the odd nick going WTG.

Pig Cat said:
People always look different to the way you imagine them!

Anyway, my advice would be to pull the skin up from your cheek so that the problem area is flattened out when you shave it. You'll need to give it a few days to settle down. Perhaps forego shaving until the nicks have healed. I use this technique on my Adam's Apple, as if I try to shave there it's so lumpy that I will always cut myself. Hopefully once you settle in to a routine you'll have no problems with this area any more. :D

Cheers for that. I'll go WTG only in that area until the weekend (got to shave for work). I'll then leave it over the weekend altogether and give it time to recover, before trying to flatten the area out a lot more. I'll just pull it flat in different directions until I find something that works for me.

Thanks for the input from all three of you. I'll let you know how I get on. Many thanks guys.

Sorry I'm a bit late, but I just wanted to say thanks for your advice. I have been pulling and stretching the skin a lot more, and the irritation and the nicks have reduced considerably. Still not 100%, but it's at least 75% better than before. Just giving it more time and care will probably see me sort it out altogether.

Once again, cheers guys

It could be that you're applying too much pressure to the razor.The jaw line has very little flesh under the skin so it as suggested best to pull the skin but often when you touch up its easy to forget to do this and nick yourself along the jaw specially when theres little/no lather.
It took me a while to trust the weight of the razor to do the work and even now I sometimes get a bit heavy handed.

Trying a different direction, and possibly using less pressure may do it.

The gentleman in the picture seems to have got things bady wrong, as his shave appears to have removed his head from his body.

Ian

Is your lather too foamy? You could try a texture like clotted cream which requires little brush work. If you brush too much you end up with foam, not cream. A foamy texture does not support the razor as much, and the shave could be a bit rough because it is too easy for the blade to cut through. My razor is an EJ Chatsworth Barley which is quite heavy and works best with a clotted cream like texture - thickish and sticky enough to support the weight.

Back
Top Bottom