Prof. Blighty's Formula 31 soft shaving soap

Right, this is my first review so hope I cover all bases. I am going to try to cover the performance of it mostly, but will end with a brief opinion on the scent I have it in.

Received my package from Martin earlier this morning, just in time for my morning shave. Instantly the tub is a plus as soon as you get it out of the well packaged shipping box. It is large enough to be able to whirl your average size brush in with ease, which I personally find a great advantage. It builds up a lather like nothing else I have used. Using my EJ black badger it took a less than a minute to produce enough lather for 6 passes, let alone my 3 passes I require. During my shave, I felt the cushion and glide of my razor was again second to none from the soft soaps and creams I have used thus far. The lather also was more than stable in my shaving mug for all three passes, with no need to whirl the brush around before my last pass.

The scent I plunged for, coffee, definitely smells like coffee but with 2 or 3 sugars in. I went for the coffee as I spoke to Martin beforehand as to which soap best suited my ASs I use alot (Tabac and OS) and he recommended this, whilst I also wanted something slightly different from the usual. It was different, but good different, and very pleasant to shave with. The only thing I would, personally, change is a slightly less sweet scent to it (but hey, I'm a a no milk or sugar coffee kind of man and of course everyone is different). I usually finish off the shave with a moisturiser, but today felt it wasn't needed due to my face feeling fine after using this.

All in all I would give performance along with the packaging, compared to the products I have used thus far, 10/10, i.e the best I have used thus far.
I would give the coffee scent a 7/10 - I would just prefer a less sweet scent.

This soap is definitely going to be my go-to shaving product and I feel the Prof. will have a few more orders from me in a couple of weeks time.

Martin, you should be very proud of it and I urge anybody who hasn't tried this range to give it a go, especially given the price and the amount you get (which looks more than 100g).

Hope this helps,

Adam

Professor Blighty said:
That's a great review, thanks Adam. The trouble is I have a sweet tooth, and always put two sugars in my coffee! :lol:

Martin.

Thanks very much Martin,

To be honest I am probably in the minority camp I just prefer bitter, strong things for some strange and twisted reason :?

Just realised, this post is in the wrong place - will move it over to the reviews section if I can.

Adam

EDIT: just realised I can't so if any of the mods can for me then that would be grand. Posting it in the right section now, sorry for this.

I'm another fan, I ordered the Coconut soap and aftershave, which arrived this morning :!:

Will put a review of the coconut scented stuff up ;)

First use of Prof B's Formula 31 which arrived as an unexpected PIF from the Prof. As part of his ongoing "help the aged" programme he's kindly prepared a one off "Brut" scent a like with a special label just for me ! How kool is that. Apart from the personalisation the basic soap is the standard 31 I believe.

The soap is deffo of the soft variety, in fact it looks just like a good quality cream, similar to Castle Forbes, with a silky sheen to it. As the note Martin sent with the package advises, this is a soap which gives of its best with an almost dry brush. I tried working up a lather on my hand, in a scuttle & (as I usually do) on my face. It lathers very easily whichever method is used &, similar to Coates, you don't need as much as you imagine you may.

The copious lather lasted fine for me for my usual two passes & there was still plenty of useable lather left on the brush.

I'm guessing that Martin went easy on the EOs or scents in this particular one off as he'll tailor soaps as needed and he knows my skin can be a wee shade iffy sometimes. The soap had a pleasant faint aroma and really good slippage. In fact it's almost like a top grade glycerine soap to my feel in the way the razor just glides over the face. I would have preferred slightly more body in the lather if I'm hair splitting, however this was my first try of the soap and I'm pretty sure that it's one which gets even better once you get used to its characteristics.

I've saved one of the nicest aspects of the soap to the end, which is that when you finally rinse the face with lukewarm water the shaved area becomes really slick, smooth & feeling lubricated. I've never experienced this before with any product, so I'm finding it difficult to explain. It's not as if a coating or film was left on the face, your skin just gets really slick & smooth. For anyone who doesn't fancy an ASB but likes the idea of a skin soother I'd strongly recommend giving this a try.

So, I'd certainly give a thumbs up to this soft soap and thanks very much agaion Prof B for your time, trouble & thoughtfulness.

JohnnyO. :D /

Back
Top Bottom