Progress Advice

Well I like the look of this razor.
I like the weight of this razor
I like the fit and finish of this razor.
I also like the cream plastic knob and don't wish to Mer it.

Is it me or is it overly aggressive.
I've only used it twice on 2 heck it's close.
I think I'm going to have to use it on its start position!
I've got the head aligned ok and the blade looks ok too.
If anyone's got any hints or tips on the sucker then I'm all ears.

It's makes a nice zinging noise too when used!
Mmmm
Yrs
Timslick.

Start at 1 or 1.5 when you have a brand new blade in it.

After a couple of shaves you can open 'er up to 2 or 2.5 and by the time the blade's got half a dozen shaves behind it, you can easily go to 3.5 or more.

I am of the opinion that is what adjustable razors were designed for. Blade dulls / turn up the aggression. After all, the internet is full of positive threads about the sharpness of the razor being inversely proportionate to the aggressiveness of the razor.

That's how I roll anyway.

Don't forget to ensure that the marks indented into one end each of the head & body are in alignment. Merkur don't (or didn't) mention this on the literature which came with the one I had & led to some inconsistent settings.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

I'm a set and forget man.

2 for a nice shave (90% of the time) 2.5 for uber close. 1 for touch up on any bits I've missed that require ATG.

Have you noticed the sound you get from this razor as it cuts your hair? I love the noise.

This razor never fails to give BBS shaves. It's was vintage razor AD killer for me.

Dear all
Ta Luvs for comments. This appears to be my biggest challenge yet!
I'm going to start at the 1 tomorrow and take it from there.
Yes it makes a delicious noise!!
I put the saloon blade (ta DP) in as it's a sharp one but a tad smoother than a yellow.
I need some practice.
If you have any blade preferences let me know.
Kindest
Timslick

For me Mr slick its those saloons, Indian blacks, Permasharps, Bic and one type of shark blade (I didn't know there were 2 and chuck the blade out!!!)

I love my Mergress and I reckon it gives me the best shaves of all of my razors.

I normally do a 3 pass shave with it, first WTG at 3, second WTG at 3.25 and a final XTG at 3.

I have used a variety of blades in it and I reckon that I get my best shaves from a Gillette black Indian followed by a Gillette yellow 7 o'clock.

After shaving with the razor I normally unwind it a good couple of turns so I can give it a good rinse out. One morning I was a bit tired when I had my shave and forgot about having wound it out and I proceeded to shave and boy, oh, boy it was aggressive :eek: After finishing the shave I realised what I had done and I think that I must have had it set on the equivalent of about 12 or 13, doh!

I gave the Progress a year of on and off use and never got on with it. Just too aggressive, even on 1, must be the geometry that didn't agree with me. It's one you just have to try out a while with different setting and blades. A mate I sold it to absolutely loves it.

I like the futur a lot more, even though it will go far more aggressive. I don't go above 2 and let its heft do the grunt work, you could get a double decker in the blade gap on 6. A much smoother razor IME.

Cheers guys. It's interesting how folks either love this or cannot get on with it.
I'm going to play a while with this one!!
Keep an eye on sales corner.....
Ta
Tim

I've had my Progress since Boxing day, and have shaved 5 times with is. The angle is a little bit different to some other razors that I own, but owing to the open-ended construction of the razor, it's pretty easy to see the angle before going to work.

Personally, I'm finding it to be a superb razor.

Ian.

Ah 1.5 and it's a better razor.
Much better in fact.
Good shave today. Still a weeper but this sucker is really heavy in the head so I need to go lighter still in terms of pressure.
I'm learning to shave all over again!
In theory as this is a step less adjustment system I could dial in my perfect gap.
Providing its not lower than 1 of course...
Ta
Blake.

"Tuff up Bucko!" with the New Year it may be time to get back to the basics!: 1. Real 'percolated Coffee' made on a Gas Stove; 2. A Razor with 'Teeth'!; 3. Real Soap, made with 'Tallow and Lye'!; 'Alcohol' in your Aftershave!; and save that 'Alum for the Pickles!' ...and yours will be the Earth and everything that's in it...and-which is more- you'll be a Man my Son!!"
And a Happy New Year to you all!

Back
Top Bottom