Progress of a Newbie.

This is a posting for two reasons. The first to tell everyone who's helped me how I am doing. The second is to help encourage anyone out there who's looking in to DE shaving. Some may have other ideas and opinions this is just my view of my experience.

I have been wet shaving with cartridges for years, some times with canned goo, and with soap and a brush. Which leads me first to soap. I had never used a mug or scuttle, I had just lathered up the soap on to a brush and away I went. I have watched all the videos of lather making and can now whip up, using a scuttle what I feel is a good lather. This does make a big difference, so take the time to watch them, especially the mantic's ones. Now I have opened my eyes to a world of soaps and creams and how to use them properly. But I have had to find myself saying STOP buying as I have quite enough already !!!! BUT can you every have enough ?

I recently "invested" in a new brush, after looking around I went for a Simpsons Milk Churn, a mid range priced brush, but I think next up will be one of Fido's New Forest Brushes. But I also have a Wilkinson Sword cheapo from Boots, which has served me well enough.

The Mach 3's have been put away, but are there should I go travelling, or should one morning it be too late to DE. It does take a while longer to shave now. In use now is a Gillette Tech Ball end. To which I should add, the feel of something that is of a simple but sturdy construction in your hand is very nice. These things were made well, and there's not a lot of things made today that will be still fully functional in 50 + years. I have tried a few blades now, I am getting in to the swing of things. But the blade for me at the moment is the Yellow 7 o'clock. This morning it was a Bolzano Superinox, I'm a sucker for something that looks a bit different, nice blade, for me. I have found that you need to give a blade a good go, no use on the first pass thinking "No". The one blade I didn't like was the Gillette Super Thin, it dragged a bit, perhaps technique, I don't know ! I tried it for three days but just couldn't get on with it. But the point is if you are new don't be put off if at first it doesn't work for you, keep going and change things if you need to, but don't do it too often as you need to learn your face, and too much change can mess things up.

After shaving, I have some Trumpers Skin Food which is very nice, but I also have some Boots Freshwood. It's as cheap as chips but does a great job, so never disregard the cheaper items. You don't need to spend a fortune. Palmolive stick and Arko I have found to be very good and again cheap enough.

Buying stuff, I have used some of the vendors listed on here and they are all great. Blighty's service is excellent and his soap is great quality at a VERY reasonable price. I have had sample packs from Trumpers and Czech & Speake so anyone new try them, they are fairly cheap, but the Czech & Speake gives you a taste for the slightly more expensive.

As for the forum, one word, BRILLIANT.

Most of all and why we are here THE SHAVE, I am getting the best shaves ever and actually enjoying shaving which I did use to hate. I think its the prep and shaving with a "real" razor !! Combined with the results.

So GO FOR IT !!!!!!

NEARLY FORGOT. Nicks and cuts, very very few. You take it easy and think about what you are doing and they stay to a minimum.

What an excellent dissertation on being a neophyte wet shaver - I look forward to reading more!.
Look upon this as page one of your wet shaving journal.

Back
Top Bottom