Prolonged brush soaking etc

I've read a few things on a number of different sites about ways in which to break in a new brush and there appears to be a number of differing ideas about what should or shouldn't be done ranging from test lathering a few times before use, to leaving lather on the brush overnight and then rinsing as normal etc.

Advice on some sites indicates that a soaking in a weak detergent, borax or vinegar solution can also help get rid of a badger smell which affects some knots whilst another source indicates that all soaking is unnecessary and will potentially cause damage to both the knot epoxy resin used in brush construction.

I am, therefore, curious as to what the advice of the brushmakers and experienced brush users on the forum would be in terms of breaking a brush in and whether, in their opinion, prolonged soaking (i.e. 2 or 3+ hours) in either plain water or a weak detergent, borax or vinegar solution would cause any damage to a brush?

It's accepted these days that you just get on and use a badger brush, it's good to go straight from the box. It might not stop you doing a test lather or two (because as you know, us boys have to play with our new toys) but there's nothing stopping you going from box > 2 min soak in water > actual shave. I've done it only this week. No badger smell, no test lather, just straight into it.

I gather from the experts that the new brush may actually improve further still over the first week or two, but there is no need to "break in" as such.

Pretty much all knots from established makes are thoroughly steam cleaned anyway, brushes smell benign from new these days. Or at least mine have... are you finding that any of your new brushes pong a bit?

For me it depends on where the brush came from; what it's made of and if it's new. A 5$ horse from Turkey, I use a Borax soak for about an hour and then a wash with hair shampoo. Do the same for a boar and a used brush. Badger, if new, just a wash with hair shampoo.

Canuck said:
Pretty much all knots from established makes are thoroughly steam cleaned anyway, brushes smell benign from new these days. Or at least mine have... are you finding that any of your new brushes pong a bit?

I got a new Rooney (in Best) this week and it smells absolutely horrible. :icon_sad:

The smell is still there after some test lathers and three shaves, although it is starting to decrease a bit.

None of the other 12 or so brushes I've bought since I joined here have ever suffered from this problem before - I don't know if it's a Rooney thing or just the luck of the draw.

Well funnily enough, my new brush this week was also a Rooney in best.

Can't say I thought it particularly stinky, it smelled resonably benign new, if anything there was a slight suggestion of something earthy, organic even. Then after my first shave it smelled very faintly of soap, now 3 shaves later it just smells of lavender.

Maybe I just have a bad sense of smell and perhaps yours is more finely honed.

Hi Andy,

My routine is just to give it a few test lathers purely to see how it lathers, picks up soap and how it looks bloomed rather than a break in as such.

What I would do is use a strong scented soap, something like tabac and give it a lather and rinse.

The funk normally fades away after 4-5 lathers.

I've read over on B&B that people let their brushes soak in water or lather over night. I can't see how having lather dry on your brush would do it any good at all. If anything, it would just make the brush scummy and may cause the hair to break prematurely.

Hope that helps a bit!

I recommend a hand lather or two to help get rid of any odour and dust etc that may be in the brush from the handling at source.
A new brush shouldn't need any prolonged soaking or cleaning etc.
regards, beejay

Back
Top Bottom