Proraso Green Soap

An old thread but here are my 2 cents....

I've got this last week and I used it today for the second time.... I don't think I'm going to like it. I compare everything to Tabac and this Proraso Green, for me, falls short. IIRC. it cost about the same as Cella and for me I'll have Cella any day of the week.
There's still hope for me though :) I used to hate tabac and now is my fav soap :D

I've got this last week and I used it today for the second time.... I don't think I'm going to like it. I compare everything to Tabac and this Proraso Green, for me, falls short. IIRC. it cost about the same as Cella and for me I'll have Cella any day of the week.
There's still hope for me though :) I used to hate tabac and now is my fav soap :D
It Doesn't Even Flush Well on its way Down the Bog..:eek:

Billy

The scent is an acquired taste, or rather not one that you're gonna love & reach for every day. It performs quite well for a non tallow soap. I like the red sandalwood version, nice musky/dirty genuine sandalwood.

Probably my favorite soap. I am always using it when I just want a quick, clean, no fuss, refreshing shave, and it works great. It's not as cushiony or slippery as others, but Proraso green made me wonder if those qualities matter more than something else. I don't know, I'm always getting great shaves out of it.
And I was really wondering how much your psychological state helps with the shave. Proraso green was one of my first soaps. And I never doubted the way the lather was looking, as I didn't have many others to compare it with. Even now, when I have some great soaps, that, through physical qualities, like glide or cushion should outperform Proraso, I'm still getting awesome shaves with it, every single time.

Having been doing this shaving lark for quite a while now and I have a plateau on which Tabac, Speick & Institut Karite sit on. Some come close-ish, are usable and buyable (inc. Proraso, Haslinger etc..), but many more fall short. The point is (imo) if you use Tabac as your benchmark - pretty much everything else will disappoint.

Having been doing this shaving lark for quite a while now and I have a plateau on which Tabac, Speick & Institut Karite sit on. Some come close-ish, are usable and buyable (inc. Proraso, Haslinger etc..), but many more fall short. The point is (imo) if you use Tabac as your benchmark - pretty much everything else will disappoint.
Indeed, tabac it's such brilliant all round soap.
In an effort to widen my horizon on soaps, I've tried a few American artesian soaps since and although some are very good and can cope reasonably well with hard water, tabac is still top.
I haven't used the green proraso for quite a while but I think it's time I gave it another chance.

I have come to the same conclusion after using Proraso Green croap 3 days a week or so for the past month. I initially enjoyed the menthol aspect so overlooked the negatives but as time goes on its shortcomings are difficult to ignore any longer.

For me, the positives are:
  • Inexpensive
  • Pleasant menthol face feel
  • Easy to lather
Now the negatives:
  • Dries my face out
  • Doesn't offer much glide/protection
  • Unpleasant scent
  • Rancid soap scum residue it leaves behind
May have to try some Meissner Tremonia Mint ice menthol next...

Possibly the last warm day of the year, so I dug this out for those cooling menthol qualities.

It lathers a lot better than I remember. The smell is fresh and clean. It shaves okay, fine even. Nothing spectacular, so if I ever got the chance to buy another menthol, I'd try and find one with a bit more cushion and glide. It just seems to be missing that something.

God knows how I am going to use it up though. I got my boar brush and went at it like there was no tomorrow. Round and round I went, hoping to effectively drill away at the soap and catch sight of the dark green plastic bottom.

No such luck. When I withdrew my brush and looked at the soap, I could swear that it was even more full than I started. It's like the friggin "Magic Pudding".

Love the proraso green , I like the suttle menthol in it ! And it performs great not tried the red or white yet but I'd love to give them a go though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom