Pure badger brush "shedding"

Hi all,

I have a pure badger brush which is used almost daily, its almost a year old now, and I've noticed over the last couple of weeks, its started losing 2-3 hairs everytime I use it, after its used I rinse it out, shake dry and hang it on a brush holder.

1. Is this normal?
2. Should I be concerned about this?

Probably the most common cause of hair loss is dried soap left at the base of the hairs. It causes them to become very brittle, and then they simply break off.

Always run warm water from the tap into the end of the brush for a little while after fnishing shaving.

Rod

Interesting.
I have the same. I get confused as to brush care. I've heard that getting water in the base can cause hair loss, which is why we hang brushes and avoid standing them.
So I've avoided this by only getting the brush wet, not the base.
But if soap can work it's way up then I need to rinse it out and that means getting the base wet.

Watching thread with interest.

Brushes often shed hairs, and at different times in their life. They can shed for a while then stop. Some will lose one or two on a regular basis, some will shed almost none.
Loosing a few hairs now and again isn't anything to worry about. When you consider that a brush can contain in excess of 14000 hairs there's certain to be loose hairs that will work themeslves out over a period of time.
Try combing out the brush a couple of times with a fine tooth comb and this should get rid of any loose hairs in the brush.
If however lots of hair is regularly coming out especially when the brush is wet then you may a have a problem knot.

Try the above and see how it goes, it may be all that's required to settle the brush.

I care for my brushes by:
Gently squeezing out the excess lather which I use to clean the razor.
Rinse under the cold tap.
Dunk a few times in a glass of cold water.
Gently squeeze and give a few sharp flicks to get rid of any remaining water.
Wipe against a dry towel
Place upright on the shelf (not in a cabinet) to let the air circulate and dry.
regards, beejay

Thanks for all the advice chaps, I soaked the brush today in very weak washinh up liquid/water mix, what appears to be some old soap residue came of the brush, after a good clean it seems to back to "normal" thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom