Pure Sandalwood

OK, after some research and experimentation I am ready to launch my hand-made, home-produced pure Sandalwood (edt/cologne/aftershave).

Ingredients: alcohol, water, pure sandalwood essential oil (santalum album).

The oil is best quality and therefore very expensive (£56 per 10ml from Culpeper) so I am still working out a price but I would expect it to be £10 per 100ml.

I will supply it in clear plastic bottles with a spray top but you can decant to a dark glass atomiser for optimum longevity.

This is just to gauge interest; if I get a feel for how many takers there's likely to be I'll know how much to make.

It would, of course, make a great Christmas present as it is artisan and bespoke and you could personalise a label for dad, brother, etc.

Reply on this thread and I'll know what the level of interest is.

Cheers

Ollie

Still finalising that. The other two ingredients (water and alcohol) are done in ml whereas the oil is done in drops, so conversions and equivalents are a bit tricky.

I had in mind 5% but that works out as both a very strong fragrance and very expensive (if the E.O. costs five pounds per ml then 100ml of edt @ 5% EO = 5ml EO = £25, which is a lot of money).

I think I can source some good quality EO at about £15 per 10ml, making 1ml = £1.50 and therefore 5ml £7.50, but I'd need to buy some of that oil and see if it's as strong and as good (there are other plants sold as sandalwood that aren't santalum album and smell similar but not the same; they are often a lot cheaper -- e.g. £2 per 10ml -- but they aren't, imho, real sandalwood and I can tell.)

So . . . the answer is I don't yet know. It depends on price / quality and "curing" (= the smell increases over the first two weeks, so no results are possible until it matures.)

I'd aim to basically do a little bit better than break even by using some small economy of scale and therefore have a narrow margin but still make it for TSR members cheaper than they could make it themselves unless they were making a litre! (And if anyone wants to make a litre I'd be happy to buy some at 20% over cost . . . .)

No plans to cut it, so others could make it either astringent or a balm (or whatever) as preferred.

Costings look like being about £80-90 per litre at 5% EO, so I'd sell at £10 per 100ml (or multiples thereof) to cover extra costs (inc. experimentation, postage etc.)

I'm just waiting for some to mature, so I'll know what 5% comes out like; however that is the very expensive oil (£50 per 10ml) and I would need to make the bulk stuff with the £15 oil, which seems to be identical but I've not yet tried it. Even if it's not quite as good I'd hope it was not proportionally worse and therefore better value.

A litre will, of course, make 10 x 100ml.

HTH

Ollie

Sandalwood (Shoe Wouldn't)

or

Sandalwood - Pure Socks Appeal

Anyway . . . stop taking the edt and tell me how many of you would be up for a 100ml?

OK, my nouveau parfum ("l'eau d'ollie") is looking good. Early results are promising. Costs are more than I'd hoped - about £8 per 50ml but quality is excellent.

Ingredients: alcohol, demineralised water, sandalwood essential oil.

Anyone else interested?

Back
Top Bottom