Quartz Watches

For the life of me I just cannot get excited about automatic watches. I understand the appeal to some for the elegant workmanship, style, etc. That's only human. However, you have to spend a boatload of cash to get one that's even reasonably accurate as opposed to a quartz watch. I refuse to own an inaccurate watch. Just a personal idiosyncrasy I guess.

With that said, I have had unusual luck with Swatch quartz watches being extremely accurate. I only have one now as an older one died even after I got a local Rolex repairman to fix it once. He reluctantly told me to never ask again I might add. :) That old one and the current one I now have had since Aug. 2014 was/are superb. I check the atomic clock on the Internet every two weeks like clockwork (pun intended ;) ) and this current Swatch is gaining only one second!!! Theoretically, that's 24 secs. a year which is phenomenal!! To get more accuracy I'd need a HEQ watch that cost an arm & a leg.

I would buy a G-Shock Atomic watch, but to me they feel like wearing a spare tire on your wrist. As well, I cannot find anyone that makes an analog day/date atomic watch either.

Anyone else prefer quartz accuracy?

I'm a dyed in the wool supporter of mechanical watches. I've never warmed to quartz watches notwithstanding their purported accuracy. I have yet to own a mechanical watch that doesn't keep good time. At the moment I own 4 automatic watches and 2 manual: my automatics are a Patek Philippe Calatrava, an Omega Constellation, an Omega Seamaster Professional Co-Axial and a Heuer 1982 Carrera re-issue; my manual watches are a Vacheron Constantin and a Vostok. My wife owns 2 watches both of which are quartz: and Omega Constellation and a Citizen. Basically, I'm satisfied with the accuracy I get from my 5 Swiss watches, which are certified chronometers. As a side note, we own 3 cars, 2 of which have manual transmissions (both mine), which I prefer over my wife's car with an automatic transmissions. You should also note that I don't own a mobile phone (I'm retired), but my wife has 2. In conclusion, I find quartz watches soulless, akin to the way I view synthetic shaving brushes.

I take your point Bogey. My own daily is what you would probably describe as a small, black rubber brick with a transparent window which should continue functioning at well below the depth of water where I would permanently malfunction. I do have two Omegas and a Chris Ward which are mechanical and will have the advantage, should I climb everest, of not having the batteries fail whilst I am miles from the corner shop.

JohnnyO. o/

G-Shocks are extremely popular for sure. As well, they can be "trimmed" if they run fast or slow. I just wish they made a plain one that was analog atomic w/o sixty gauges, doo hickeys, gadgets & gizmos and didn't look like a Michelin on your wrist. :rolleyes: They are however tougher than a $2 steak. ;)

Due to the high cost of servicing automatics I switched to quartz some years ago and never looked back. Besides, the accuracy was never that good, even on a 'certified chronometer' (yes, a Rolex...) I now switch between an Omega Seamaster Pro, an Aqua Terra, and a no-name beater, all quartz.

When you say the accuracy was never that good,or refuse to own an inaccurate watch consider the accuracy of a chronometer,they are tested for 15 days and nights,in 5 different positions,and 3 different temperatures,and they must keep within a mean rate of less than -4+6 seconds per day,there are 86400 seconds in a day,this amounts to a 99.99 degree of precision,which for a micro mechanical machine is incredible,yes there not cheap but they something special

...yes there not cheap but they something special

Therein lies the problem. I paid only $75 for the Swatch when new.

Another solution would be if you knew a good watch repairman (harder to find nowadays) who would "trim" the quartz watch for you to be more accurate.

Each to there own,there is nothing in life that i do or anyone else does that needs a more accurate watch that is a only 6 out,keep the art of real watch's alive,mechanical watch every time

I have one big issue with battery powered quartz watches; when the battery runs out, the watch is suddenly dead. Some watches have a low battery warning, but many don't.

I have one big issue with battery powered quartz watches; when the battery runs out, the watch is suddenly dead. Some watches have a low battery warning, but many don't.

Just like you should be doing with smoke alarm batteries in your home, you should do as well with a watch but based on whatever length your watch battery is built for. Most are two yrs. max.

The biggest slayer of the watch industry has been cell phones IMO.

Back
Top Bottom