R41 (2010) Vs Gillette New ?

I recently picked up a Muhle R41 (2010) from B/S/T and have been using it for the last 2 days. My first OC and it's FANTASTIC!
Comparing the R41 '10 to my Merkur 34c, i would say the OC head takes less effort to deliver BBS. The feel of the glide is different with the OC and i found that going steeper {so there's no soap lines} is the technique to use.

Reading the reviews, it seems the R41 '10 is a pretty mild razor and rated somewhere between a Tech and 34c. Is the Gillette New a more agressive razor?

I'm considering the following path for my next purchase, moving up the aggresive scale:
1) Gillette New -> 37c (slant) -> R41 (2011)
2) 37c (slant) -> R41 (2011)
Is it worth buying the Gillette New or shall i got straight to a slant and r41 ?

Depends which New Mike. They are on the aggressive side but some are more so than others.

IMO the slant is in a different category of razors. Shaves totally different to a new. For me, some how it shaves super close but feels very easy on my face.

Basically, what I'm saying is, you'll need both and draw your own conclusions from there.

UKMerk said:
I recently picked up a Muhle R41 (2010) from B/S/T and have been using it for the last 2 days. My first OC and it's FANTASTIC!
Comparing the R41 '10 to my Merkur 34c, i would say the OC head takes less effort to deliver BBS. The feel of the glide is different with the OC and i found that going steeper {so there's no soap lines} is the technique to use.

Reading the reviews, it seems the R41 '10 is a pretty mild razor and rated somewhere between a Tech and 34c. Is the Gillette New a more agressive razor?

I'm considering the following path for my next purchase, moving up the aggresive scale:
Is it worth buying the Gillette New or shall i got straight to a slant and r41 ?

Not sure I understand. Are you saying you get great shaves and perhaps even BBS? If so, why are you looking for something else? IMO it is not about moving up in the aggressive scale but finding what works best for you.

To answer your question: I do not know. I do not have a R41 (10). I only have the 2011 version. Slants do not work for me.

Could not get on with the R41 (11) but love using my slant, completely different shavers, with very different outcomes for me. I much prefer the slant in terms of angle and care to my face it mows down growth like nothing else over tried but with no irritation.

I agree with Dipesh, a slant isn't really on a sliding scale of aggressiveness, it's just a different thing. You should get one, they do feel different and they're amazing at clearing long or tough stubble. I don't feel that they're particularly aggressive although the blade gap is quite big... they're not something to fear, I've never really cut myself with one.
No harm in going straight to the later model R41 if you wanted to, you'll give it a bit of respect and you'll get used to it.

For what it's worth, with purely brand new razors I went Merkur 34 - Merkur 23 - Edwin Jagger 87 - Merkur 37 - Muhle R41 so it was kind of up and down. There's no rule that says you have to work your way up, you can try any razor in any order.

thanks for your answers.
I think i'll go straight to a R41 '11 and get the Slant to try.

Wil said:
Are you saying you get great shaves and perhaps even BBS? If so, why are you looking for something else?

I'm on a collection frenzy. :icon_rolleyes: I've got a huge amount of CC's and a few adjustables. Now i'm looking at OC's and a slant.

The NEW head is more aggressive than the 34C and the razor I'd choose for the most natural progression. The slant as has been mentioned is a different beast entirely, the new R41 is just extremely aggressive for the sake of it.

UKMerk said:
Wil said:
Are you saying you get great shaves and perhaps even BBS? If so, why are you looking for something else?

I'm on a collection frenzy. :icon_rolleyes: I've got a huge amount of CC's and a few adjustables. Now i'm looking at OC's and a slant.

Been there, done that. Now I try to stick to one razor, one brush, one soap and one blade...
The NEW is a great razor, btw.

Wil said:
UKMerk said:
Wil said:

Been there, done that. Now I try to stick to one razor, one brush, one soap and one blade...
The NEW is a great razor, btw.

One blade? Isn't it blunt yet?

UKMerk said:

Hi there,

I'd echo other members when it comes to trying some sort of NEW head as your next choice. Personally, I prefer the long tooth version, since it's a little more comfortable for me to use (little less bite than the shorter one).

Another good option from there on the bite scale would be a razor with an Old Type head. Most are very inexpensive and quite aggressive (more than the NEW), which lots of people like.

The slant's more like a safety bar razor with an attitude. Fun to use, but not like shaving with an OC type.

Martin

dodgy said:
I'd echo other members when it comes to trying some sort of NEW head as your next choice. Personally, I prefer the long tooth version, since it's a little more comfortable for me to use (little less bite than the shorter one).

Snaperooni!

The long comb New head is about my favourite. So much so that I have, erm, quite a few!

I find they give an effortless close shave.

I own both the razors in question. The NEW is more agressive than the 2010 R41, but still a long way short of a 2011 R41. If you want to try a more agressive razor you could use a shim (a blade with the sharp bits cut off) in your 2010 R41, which I do always to get a bit more bite out of my 2010 R41.

Back
Top Bottom