R41 -v- R41

So, it comes with a bit of a rep, does the R41. Most people know it was updated around 2011 to make it a little easier to tame.

I'm lucky enough to have a few R41s, two originals and one of the "tamer" newer models. They all shave exceptionally well. Really, really well. Love them. All of them.

The only change I can see is that the cap on the later models is extended to present less blade. The comb seems unchanged.

But, for those who are unsure of what was changed, here are some comparison shots.

20230122_182047.jpg20230122_182038.jpg20230122_181907.jpg20230122_181957.jpg

Hope that might be of use and illustrate the difference...

Nice post, I thought the update was in 2013 and the 2011 was the beast.
I think it changed sometime after 2011, but it’s hard to be sure as I am certain stock of both versions would have overlapped. Be interesting to hear if there is a definitive answer...

Last edited:
A change in the cap like this changes also the angle of the blade and exposure, ever so slightly - the blade is more bent and kept closer to the baseplate a tad more.
It is really interesting to see such a comparison, thanks!

So, it comes with a bit of a rep, does the R41. Most people know it was updated around 2011 to make it a little easier to tame.

I'm lucky enough to have a few R41s, two originals and one of the "tamer" newer models. They all shave exceptionally well. Really, really well. Love them. All of them.

The only change I can see is that the cap on the later models is extended to present less blade. The comb seems unchanged.

But, for those who are unsure of what was changed, here are some comparison shots.

View attachment 99328View attachment 99329View attachment 99331View attachment 99330

Hope that might be of use and illustrate the difference...
Which ones which? Lol

In use is there a noticeable change in the blade chatter between the two? I'm thinking with the previous version having so much blade exposure it would be more prone to blade chatter?

Nice post, I thought the update was in 2013 and the 2011 was the beast.
I've been digging a bit and you are correct. The change in the two above was made in 2013.

I've also discovered that there were some previous, totally different, heads with I think Muhle bought in rather than manufactured....

In the beginning (2009, V1), It was Fatip. My fav. (pic)
Then (2011, V2) It's born the "shark" version. Stupidly aggressive.
The last one actually on the market (2013, V3) It's in the middle.

Here more details.
https://nassrasieren.wordpress.com/der-rasierhobel-eine-einleitung/muhle-r41/
p6290003.jpg

Last edited:
As a on off user of the R41 ...
Back in the days, I've played a lot with geometry and balance.
My best was a frankenrazor I called UFO8941:
• Topcap Muhle R89
• Base Muhle R41 V1 (Fatip)
• Handle Ufo Goliath 85mm
On the heavy side, but a smooth shaver.
source

EDIT
BTW, today there is the Fatip Nobile.
Wich is actually almost the same, with less weigh and better balance.

Back in the days, I've played a lot with geometry and balance.
My best was a frankenrazor I called UFO8941:
• Topcap Muhle R89
• Base Muhle R41 V1 (Fatip)
• Handle Ufo Goliath 85mm
On the heavy side, but a smooth shaver.
source

EDIT
BTW, today there is the Fatip Nobile.
Wich is actually almost the same, with less weigh and better balance.
Thanks, I will look into that. :)

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom