razor choice

right guys i am after some opinions on d/e/ saftey razors .

i am looking for my first new razor and would like some advice on different tools
i like a nice close clean shave but have only just started useing d/e razors
so i dont know much about open comb or closed or agressive razors please pass you knowlage your opinions of razors on so i can make a choice

I started with a Merkur 38C for some reason. Given my money again, I'd steer clear of this particular razor on account of its size and weight. I got so used to the sheer size and weight of it after a years shaving, that all other razors seemed too light and small.

My (limited) personal experience in comparison to many of the veteran DE users on here suggests that you try as many as you possibly can before buying via the PIF's that are doing the rounds. Each user is totally individual in terms of tastes, although if you read enough posts you'll probably get the gist of which hardware is held in high regard, and the one thing I've learned here is that people are more than happy to share their experiences.

The two razors people seem to start well with are ones with the DE89/R89 head - it was co-designed by Edwin Jagger and Muhle. The second is the Merkur 33c, which is a touch more aggressive. I'd suggest going for the Grande in the Muhle, or a lined EJ.. or if you go Merkur go for the HD or one with more than just the basic handle. Upgrading the handle is possible afterwards though, but not through normal retail channels, you need to find someone like Daz from JEC handles, or UFO handles etc for a handle hand made by an enthusiast.

Alternatively some people say go straight for the high end, for example a Weber DLC. I've tried moire than several Muhle/EJ/Merkur razors as well as vintage razors and the Weber DLC is the next one for me.

Finally some people prefer vintage razors, my advice there would be to get a "user grade" one from someone on these forums rather than a nicely finished one, if it gathers sentimental value you can have it replated, or you can sell it without losing much money.

My vote would be for The Merkur 34C HD, a great razor and for me the perfect balance between mild and aggressive. It was my first razor and I am very happy it was.

I think the 89 personally, but I think either the 34c or the 89 will please most people and give them not just a starting point but a stalwart performing razor that may very well be the finishing point. Of course not everybody, but there's no razor that'll do that and broadly speaking most people seem to agree that it's between these two to please most people.

sit and watch evil-bay then try pickup a gillette tech, if you're lucky you may pickup one for £10. Very mild but its worth getting one to acquire some experience in de shaving. Next maybe a DE89 or 34c, gillette slim or another adjustable.

All of the suggestions by members, go with an Edwin Jagger DE89 this has a FB flat bar SB solid bar (same). Then try a sample DE blade pack can be had from Connaught shaving U.K and also the razor. Very helpful person a mind of knowledge.

Charles U.K

34c or DE89/R89. If you fancy vintage, then a Gillette Tech, Superspeed or even a Rocket would be a good choice. I personally don't like the idea of buying an adjustable as a first DE razor - yet another variable in the mix when the last thing you need is another variable.

I would go with chrisbell with the 34c or Gillette. Both will you give you a nice shave without any drama, both work nice with Astra sp blades (my go to blade now) but if you feel the urge for something a bit more aggressive just stick a feather in.

Daz

Re: RE: razor choice

chrisbell said:
34c or DE89/R89. If you fancy vintage, then a Gillette Tech, Superspeed or even a Rocket would be a good choice. I personally don't like the idea of buying an adjustable as a first DE razor - yet another variable in the mix when the last thing you need is another variable.

I'm with Chrisbell, the 34c or the 89 would be a good place to start.

gentalmangolfer said:
right guys i am after some opinions on d/e/ saftey razors .

i am looking for my first new razor and would like some advice on different tools
i like a nice close clean shave but have only just started useing d/e razors
so i dont know much about open comb or closed or agressive razors please pass you knowlage your opinions of razors on so i can make a choice
I'd go with the Merkur 34c,which by coinciidence I have one for sale :icon_razz: the thread is in the for sale section I'll also throw in 5 Astra sp as well as what is mentioned in the thread
FS Merkur 34c
I Have for sale a Merkur 34c in excellent condition, no more than 5 months old,the price I want is £25 all paypal fees and recorded delivery postage included.This razor has been well looked after and cleaned after each use. I'll also throw a box of 5 derby, 5 Gillette 7 0 clock yellow blades and a couple of Geo F Trumper cream samples in as well.

Dobbo25 said:
I'd go with the Merkur 34c,which by coinciidence I have one for sale :icon_razz: the thread is in the for sale section I'll also throw in 5 Astra sp as well as what is mentioned in the thread
FS Merkur 34c
I Have for sale a Merkur 34c in excellent condition, no more than 5 months old,the price I want is £25 all paypal fees and recorded delivery postage included.This razor has been well looked after and cleaned after each use. I'll also throw a box of 5 derby, 5 Gillette 7 0 clock yellow blades and a couple of Geo F Trumper cream samples in as well.

Show some class, come on!

Small light mild razors are a bad idea for beginners - as a neophyte I tended to "lean" on mine thinking I would get a closer shave - which I did - ouch!
It was not until I acquired a 34c did I learn to "back off" and subsequently get a much better and more comfortable shave.

I did very well with an EJ De89 and the Connaught blade sample pack. After a couple of months I got a Weber Bulldog handle for the 89 head... didn't need to but it satisfied my lust for new gear and makes a very appealing razor with a little more weight.

My short experience with a vintage adjustable was disastrous. I may revisit the concept at some point in the future, but don't really have much appetite for it. I'd advise against until you have more experience

Back
Top Bottom