Razor date anomaly- one for the experts

Here's one for the razor dating experts. I have a rather nice (Made in England) slim twist, The Knack, with a blue handle. According to official Gillette records, The Knacks were manufactured from 1966 to 1975, but this one is clearly marked with the code Z4 which I believe is the date code for both 1954 and 1979, both dates being outwith the limits of manufacture.I have the US equivalent of the Knack which is a slim twist with a black handle, dated P4 = 1970 which is fine (made from 1966 to 1987). Can anyone shed some light on this coding on the Knack?

Think I've solved it. When Gillette dropped the name Super Slim Twist (GB) and Knack (USA) in 1975 they continued to make the product with blue, black and even green plastic resin handles, in England under G1000 and in Germany G2000 (The G3000 was an adjustable). Mine appears to be a 1979. They are a lovely mild shaving razor, the blue handled one being a little more aggressive. They are head heavy with a long slim handle. A great little razor.

Back
Top Bottom