Razor Head Dragging

Hi all,

I've got a bit of a problem at the moment with pretty much all of my razors. They regularly start to 'drag' as the head passes over my face. This can cause a bit of a skipping sensation, which is not clever - the blade might be fine, but the irregular movement caused by the head gripping is not helpful.

I (believe I) keep the razor properly clean, but obviously not as it gets grippy again almost immediately (often in the middle of the first shave after cleaning.)

So - anyone else encountered this? What do people use to clean their razors? I'm nervous of damaging the plating so have basically stuck to a baby toothbrush and ordinary hand soap.

Any pointers gratefully received!

Stu

I've experienced this, it was down to poor, weak lather. On the second pass, the brush had little lather left and the razor skipped on the skin.

It was the rubbish Wilkinson blue bowl, which found its way into the bin.

Lots of great soaps out there.

Thanks all

In which case, I'll have another go on the lathering. I have recently switched to the DR Harris Arlington cream so it's entirely possible that I haven't got the balance right. I would assume too little water than too much.

With regards to prep, I am confident enough with that - always use proraso pre shave and then thoroughly wet my face between passes.

But... I would say that after the shave has finished the razor head continues to be 'grippy' when I run my thumb over it, so there is some sort of residue left on it.

Are you in a particularly hard water area? I've found that I get a build up on the head which causes drag.

Some soaps are less susceptible to this.

Cella or some glyc based soaps may help.

It's certainly a lather problem. Far too weak or watery can cause a bit of jumping, but super thick, dry lather will do it even more so. Luckily the bit in between is quite a big area so you just need to adjust product vs: water.

it's entirely possible that I haven't got the balance right. I would assume too little water than too much.

I'm leaning towards that, just mix for another 30 seconds with a few drops more water and see what it's like. Ideally it should feel silky rather than thick and soapy.
It's a perfectly good cream so no quality issues there.

Canuck said:
It's certainly a lather problem. Far too weak or watery can cause a bit of jumping, but super thick, dry lather will do it even more so. Luckily the bit in between is quite a big area so you just need to adjust product vs: water.

it's entirely possible that I haven't got the balance right. I would assume too little water than too much.

I'm leaning towards that, just mix for another 30 seconds with a few drops more water and see what it's like. Ideally it should feel silky rather than thick and soapy.
It's a perfectly good cream so no quality issues there.

Strangely, I've found the thin, watery stuff worse for juddering than the excessively dry lather - strange how YMMV applies even to aspects of traditional shaving where you'd think there was no way it could.

I'd look at all three aspects, Chopper - lather too thin and/or too dry and what I call sticky water - which is lather killing water - hardness perhaps, pre-shave oil residue. A few drops of bath bubble or wash your face with soap and rinse - soften the water. Lather and soap bubbles should stay on the surface, not disappear into scum around the edges.

Bechet45 said:
I'd look at all three aspects, Chopper - lather too thin and/or too dry and what I call sticky water - which is lather killing water - hardness perhaps, pre-shave oil residue. A few drops of bath bubble or wash your face with soap and rinse - soften the water. Lather and soap bubbles should stay on the surface, not disappear into scum around the edges.

Therein lies the beauty of using a good, softening glycerine soap to was your face before using hot flannels/pre-shave products - it softens the water in the basin and makes it slightly soapy, so, when you add it to the lather, it helps lubricate it.

chrisbell said:
Bechet45 said:

Therein lies the beauty of using a good, softening glycerine soap to was your face before using hot flannels/pre-shave products - it softens the water in the basin and makes it slightly soapy, so, when you add it to the lather, it helps lubricate it.

If only a good, softening, glycerine soap made any difference compared to any old hand soap I'd be content at having forked out for a cake of Mr Glo!

Bechet45 said:
chrisbell said:
Bechet45 said:

If only a good, softening, glycerine soap made any difference compared to any old hand soap I'd be content at having forked out for a cake of Mr Glo!

No need to spend a fortune on MR GLO - I use this and it's great. Lovely scent, so slippery on the face you could probably shave with it after rubbing it in by hand, and it doesn't burn my face off like the MR GLO does.

chrisbell said:
Bechet45 said:
chrisbell said:
Bechet45 said:

No need to spend a fortune on MR GLO - I use this and it's great. Lovely scent, so slippery on the face you could probably shave with it after rubbing it in by hand, and it doesn't burn my face off like the MR GLO does.

I was on my way there as soon as the rain stops, anyway!

Ive had this happen when using Musgo Real cream no matter what consistency the mix was.

To add to what has been mentioned above with regards to lather consistency, if i don't get the ratio right with Harris Almond Soap it results in the razor skipping over my face and that's not knocking the soap as i rate it very highly.

Thanks all! Great selection of replies. I do indeed have very hard water (you should see the limescale on our taps) and I think that is a likely candidate. The dissipation of lather into scum immediately is exactly what happens in my sink.

I wasn't aware that glycerine soap could soften water, so I'll have a go at that. It may well also explain why I get variable results with different creams.

ChopperHarris said:
Thanks all! Great selection of replies. I do indeed have very hard water (you should see the limescale on our taps) and I think that is a likely candidate. The dissipation of lather into scum immediately is exactly what happens in my sink.

I wasn't aware that glycerine soap could soften water, so I'll have a go at that. It may well also explain why I get variable results with different creams.

I ought not have said it softens the water, as, technically I suspect it doesn't - what it seems to do is reduce the effect that water hardness has, if you see what I mean. Sorry.:blush:

Back
Top Bottom