razor recommendations

The TSD store is run by Queen of Blades (Joanna) all profits from that store go towards paying for the servers and web coding services. I've seen negative reviews of TSD products, and those have been allowed to remain.

I've rarely seen threads get deleted, and when I have it was because the thread had turned into a flame war, or because it was a Spam thread. I know for a fact that one of the mods posted his personal opinion, forgetting that since he was also a mod, that opinion could be taken as a very public "moderator smackdown." I was told that the administration of TSD did not condone that kind of behavior and the mod in question quickly resigned.

Discussion of other vendors and products and links to the same are encouraged. One of the mods makes her own soaps, and the mods never/seldom 'push' TSD products over other products. If they do, it's because they personally like that particular product.

It's a pretty relaxed place, all things considered. I've been an active member there for almost six years.

The TSD store is run by Queen of Blades (Joanna) all profits from that store go towards paying for the servers and web coding services. I've seen negative reviews of TSD products, and those have been allowed to remain.

I've rarely seen threads get deleted, and when I have it was because the thread had turned into a flame war, or because it was a Spam thread. I know for a fact that one of the mods posted his personal opinion, forgetting that since he was also a mod, that opinion could be taken as a very public "moderator smackdown." I was told that the administration of TSD did not condone that kind of behavior and the mod in question quickly resigned.

Discussion of other vendors and products and links to the same are encouraged. One of the mods makes her own soaps, and the mods never/seldom 'push' TSD products over other products. If they do, it's because they personally like that particular product.

It's a pretty relaxed place, all things considered. I've been an active member there for almost six years.

I've seen one thread completely deleted there in my short time of lurking (was a thread about AOS possibly rereleasing the Tech), because one member, the OP, disagreed with a mod who spoke for the "consensus" of the community. I do believe that member was also unfortunately banned.

A very interesting thread on DFS really gives some interesting insight into the politics and money behind the shaving industry and forums, and is mainly anti TSN, B&B, TSD... Although some of it is surely sour grapes:

http://damnfineshave.com/thread-why-do-people-get-banned-at-shaving-sites

Hi Len o/ , not too sure at all that TSR is " figureable outable " myself. Far as I can see it's just intended to be a forum for grown ups who can, hopefully, behave like that. Sure, things can get slightly heated on occasion, however since no one has any axe to grind when we calm down again we realise that sometimes enthusiasts do bump heads unintentionally and just say sorry. Our vendirs make it clear that they are vendors and mainly offer special deals, discounts and advance products to fellow TSRs. So, mostly, we just have fun and learn whilst doing it. As for the mods, well, they know where we live ...

JohnnyO. o/

How's about this thread getting back on topic, whatever that was/is? This is TSR, independently owned and operated, and a safe haven from other forums. Please leave their problems where they belong and don't bring them here.

Oh! and please don't batter the egos of our Mods, we're a sensitive bunch just trying to stay in the background.

How's about this thread getting back on topic, whatever that was/is? This is TSR, independently owned and operated, and a safe haven from other forums. Please leave their problems where they belong and don't bring them here.

Oh! and please don't batter the egos of our Mods, we're a sensitive bunch just trying to stay in the background.
Not shrinking Violets I hope:)

It's simple. Stay where you like and don't whine about where you don't like. Have fun! It works for me.

Not sure anyone's 'whining', but it is interesting to observe how different places work, and why different products (razors, etc.) are recommended. Gives perspective, and helps one understand the bigger picture.

I am only a recent convert to "proper" shaving and went into a buying frenzy. Got a few nice razors and lots that I am not so fond of :) I agree with Martin and others that a Tech is the ideal starter, and maybe the only razor you will ever need or want. Others I like are Schick type J, the 1912 and my very favourite the Rocket HD. Start with the tech then try cheapies, you maybe suprised that expensive doesn't always mean best.

I'll second the HD as a favorite razor.

Not sure anyone's 'whining', but it is interesting to observe how different places work, and why different products (razors, etc.) are recommended. Gives perspective, and helps one understand the bigger picture.

I read your link to another forum. It looked like a lot of whining to me. In fact it kind of turned me off to that forum when i first saw it there. Why complain about another forum in one you like? I don't get it.

I may have missed it, but have you used an EJ89 or Merkur?

I've used both and would recommend either as a starter. The 34C was my first razor (based on shave forums) and later I picked up a DE89. I find the 89 less aggresive than the 34. Both great razors IMV and only 2 of 4 modern razors that I still use. All my other razors and the bulk of my rotation (10) are vintage.

I read your link to another forum. It looked like a lot of whining to me. In fact it kind of turned me off to that forum when i first saw it there. Why complain about another forum in one you like? I don't get it.

Oh, that... Yeah, there was a whole lot of whining there. :p

Didn't really pay attention to the hurt feelings, rather looked past them in order to better understand what was going on at certain places I didn't previously have a full understanding of.

Now, I can read certain things at certain places with a larger pinch of salt.

The perspective is needed to figure out ways to increase the membership of those who use a real razor. When you get down to the bullshit shoved down most shaving sites, the "informational" websites that are just shill explanatory sites run by online vendors and I believe certain razor restoration company, you see that there is a lot against the average person getting into shaving with a real razor.

I've used both and would recommend either as a starter. The 34C was my first razor (based on shave forums) and later I picked up a DE89. I find the 89 less aggresive than the 34. Both great razors IMV and only 2 of 4 modern razors that I still use. All my other razors and the bulk of my rotation (10) are vintage.
Yup, 34C was my first proper DE (after that god-awful placcy Wilkinson). My resistance to vintage lasted about 4 months. Hey-ho.

Back
Top Bottom