Re-knotting and re-using steamed knot

7109b6b5e9ee64cb31548ac8e7591501.jpg

A while back I bought the Rubberset replica on offer from PAA/Crown King with an additional ferrule for setting my own (TGN Finest) knot. My first attempt at doing this myself. So I did, but it ended up being set too high because I went straight for setting it from the bottom of the ferrule rather than building a shelf first. Having learnt my lesson, here's the ferrule with the shelf still in curing/hardening. I released the knot with steam and will re-set it at a lower loft.

Finding that I never reached for the other brush pictured (a Whipped Dog 22mm Finest/"HMW"), I figured I would try to give that the opposite treatment, lift it a mm or two to increase its flow-through and lathering powers. Steamed it, but it just wouldn't come out. Giving up and letting it stand for a while, I noticed two things:

For one, the steam had an effect on the bristles. Especially the tips seemed somewhat damaged and crackly. That improved with some washing and palm lathering and it is perfectly fine for use.

The second thing I noticed, and this brings me to my question, was that the knot seems to have spread out, bloomed. It now is more open than it used to be. I might have succeeded in my aim, in other words. The effect on the other, TGN knot I am not sure of yet.

Does anyone have similar experiences or know of known effects of steaming knots (that are to be used again)? I did some googling beforehand and found that several have steam-released and reused knots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi Halvor, I have noticed that with one of my brushes, having soaked it a couple of times in very hot water the knot seems to have spread and become less concentrated. Beyond a normal bloom. Like you say it probably loosened the hold via the glue a little. No hair loss though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom