Re-Purposed Household Items In Your ShaveDen

Folks
People in these blogs tend to be creative and resourceful...So what I'm wondering is what everyday, or not so everyday items do you have in your den that serve a different purpose from what they were intended? For myself, it's using gravy/cream boats for hard soaps. They have a perfect built in brush rest. Also, finding great lathering bowls in shops that don't sell lathering bowls etc.. Lets see what you have...
IMG_2540.jpegIMG_2541.jpegIMG_2543.jpegIMG_2544.jpegIMG_2545.jpeg

Folks
People in these blogs tend to be creative and resourceful...So what I'm wondering is what everyday, or not so everyday items do you have in your den that serve a different purpose from what they were intended? For myself, it's using gravy/cream boats for hard soaps. They have a perfect built in brush rest. Also, finding great lathering bowls in shops that don't sell lathering bowls etc.. Lets see what you have...
View attachment 98957View attachment 98958View attachment 98959View attachment 98960View attachment 98961
Have to say, I think they look better than scuttles, and will bounce when dropped.
You know that the price of gravy boats are going to go through the roof now. :LOL:

Folks
View attachment 98957View attachment 98958View attachment 98959View attachment 98960View attachment 98961
Does anyone know if there is a gravy scented soap? ;)

Good thread

Best thing I got was the stainless steel pack of 4 for like £2 in the kitchen section of morrisons and some places selling identical things as shaving bowls for £10+

also got a casserole dish (think that's what you call it) from Poundland and the stainless steel bowl fits in perfectly to make a scuttle for a massive £3 lol

IMG_20210808_182802.jpg
IMG_20210808_182640.jpg
IMG_20210808_182658.jpg
IMG_20210808_182953.jpgIMG_20210808_182309.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210808_182640.jpg
    IMG_20210808_182640.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1
I think I might buy a couple of gravy boats for the purpose. Never occurred to me so thanks!

The only repurposing I've done is little glass Gu cheesecake ramekins for some smaller shaving soap pucks, and if a handle on a mug develops a crack or comes off completely I use it to store cartridge or injector razors and their blades.

1. Bamboo note block holder drilled to hang 2 brushes
2. Old school ribbed glass jelly mould makes a perfect bowl apart from the breakable factor
3. Lickimat slow feeder dog bowl as indestructible textured shaving bowl
4. Kitchen oil spray bottle for misting alum water
5. Gü ramekins for Hampshire Lanolin soaps
6. Ikea spice rack for brush shelf.

Whilst the items I’ve repurposed are household items, they’re really vintage household items in the main.

I bought an old Crown Derby trinket box (girly porcelain containers for bits and pieces of jewellery and stuff) which is perfect for my HWF #1 and would take a 100g Salter or Harris soap but I think an MWF cake might be too large.

570BF845-629D-4F58-8DF1-8788D497875A.jpeg

I had ordered a Patum Peperium dish from eBay with a depiction of Constable’s Haywain on the lid but the daft bint never packaged it properly and lid was broken in two. This larger Patum pot is absolutely perfect for the HWF 50g soft cakes. One of our chaps has beauty with a Spitfire on the front that I covet enviously. The Haywain pot with lid intact:

23A76B71-3F1D-4C67-8914-9E5E3F06DB72.jpeg

I also have two English-made, blue and white James Kent ‘Old Foley’ cereal bowls which would make decent lather bowls if I wasn’t a dedicated face latherer. They are perfect for sticking a cake of the Salter soap to and also using as photo props for SotD shots.

572C466B-E897-4245-81E9-1E907B711F11.jpeg

I love old bottles too. The older Edwardian, Georgian or perhaps wartime through the 50’s glass poison bottles that are often hexagonal in shape with ‘Not to be Taken’ embossed on the front. I have a blue one in a 4oz size which is around 118ml, a green 8oz one in the same style and a mucklehoosive (proper terminology) amber coloured Timothy White’s Cash Chemist with lovely embossed script meant to be read with the bottle on its side. This last one contains a couple of bottles of Benjamin’s Bay Rum to which I’ve added some glycerin, extra West Indian Bay essential oil and a few drop of peppermint EO for a slight cooling effect. Corks for these bottles can be had from evilbay with a bit of estimation in the measurement. The cork in the big bottle has been in for over a year and still does its job perfectly. The following aren’t my pictures but give you the right idea. @Mike Smart would love a large green one I think as it’d go well with a lot of his kit.

474D9886-1C53-4BBC-A841-06DC89B91C78.jpeg
32710493-57A2-4A3C-88A6-A0D5DBE3E71B.jpeg

My photo of the large TW amber bottle:

5B50E12D-F2BE-48C7-8AED-2323EF2D7164.jpeg

I have the ability to hand carve soap bowls & lids from wood but it’s a labourious process and I’d rather learn to turn them. I have a quality lathe that I inherited form a dear friend but I have to get power out to my shed and set up a proper workbench and fit shed windows. Sheesh, not so easy for this cripple…

And of course, I carve with a knife my own shaving brushes from this wonder material called ‘wooden wood off trees’. Plastic? Resin? Wassallthadabout?!

I really should put TL;DR at the start of my overly wordy posts….:rolleyes:

P.S. damn sedatives haven’t worked so it could be loooong night.

Back
Top Bottom