Really tough stubble

I think I've got my basic technique down now, and am refining aspects of my shave to get it how I want.

However, there are a couple of patches on my face that, so far, will not take an ATG pass. Using a sharp blade, I've soaked my face in hot water for several minutes, tried a variety of pre-shaves and of course made WTG and XTG passes first. Also I'm not putting any pressure on my face, just resting my razor on the lather cushion and moving it.

In these problem areas, when I move the blade upwards it seems bristles get stuck against the blade and will not be cut. Forcing the razor seems to pull out rather than cur the stubble, leaving a blood spot or ingrowing hair. My only choice is to slowly move the razor backwards to disengage it.

Of course this means some parts of my face end up smoother than others. Any suggestions on how to cut these tough bristles?

I have been using:
EJ DE89 Razor
Merkur Platinum Blades
Derby Stainless Blades
Feather Blades

I'm not adverse to the idea of trying different blades or a more/less aggressive razor if needed. Thanks.

I'm surprised that Feathers have been unable to cope with it. I have tough hair, and I find my Merkur 34c with a Treet Platinum seems to go through quite easily after decent prep. Maybe an open-comb design might help, or a slant-bar?

OK well those blades are all marmite blade IMO. For me Feathers are sharp but I get irritation, merkurs I like but most don't and derbys are not sharp enough for me.

I'd keep trying blades (get a sampler pack from connaught, IMHO Gillette Superthins are a must try) but I suspect that blade angle/technique is a factor as well, either that or your whiskers are made from copper wire!

Sounds like a blunt blade maybe change more regularly. Try the above if not open up the blade gap a bit by loosening the handle just a touch for those hard to do areas.

Although I'm a fan of the R89 head it is a fairly mild mannered beast imo. If anyone can lend you an open comb you may well find a difference. Only prob could be that since you get a satisfactory from the "normal" areas of the old physog you may finish up with 2 razors for different stubble strengths on the same face.

Two razors for just one user .................. what was I thinkiing of ! As if any of us would actually have 2 razors.

JohnnyO. \:blush:

JohnnyO said:
Although I'm a fan of the R89 head it is a fairly mild mannered beast imo. If anyone can lend you an open comb you may well find a difference. Only prob could be that since you get a satisfactory from the "normal" areas of the old physog you may finish up with 2 razors for different stubble strengths on the same face.

Two razors for just one user .................. what was I thinkiing of ! As if any of us would actually have 2 razors.

Now who was it used 3 razors. ???? :angel::angel::angel:

Suggest you attack the problem area diagonally, ie. something between XTG and ATG, and maybe incorporate a slight slicing action. Go easy with that though. Not knowing your razor I can't say much about it, but an open comb combined with a good sharp blade (7 o'clock yellow maybe) is pretty effective.

I have a reasonably tough beard. Tough enough to give up on three separate attempts to master shaving with a straight. In addition to that, I cannot use the less sharp DE blades either. So for me, in order of sharpness (low to high), it's Shark Super Chrome, Gillette Swede, Iridium and Feather.

When I started shaving with a DE, I couldn't shave ATG. Like you, the razor would just stop on an ATG stroke. Now, some 3 years on, I can regularly achieve a complete ATG pass with very little trouble.

I can only put this down to practice and improvement in technique, but not just in the shave itself, but in other aspects.

My face is wet for at least 5 minutes before I apply lather, whether I've showered or not.

My lather making and application has improved.

My shaving technique is better, and I now have more knowledge of how my beard is mapped.

I cannot imagine a Feather blade having any trouble cutting any beard, but if the angle is incorrect, or the lather isn't too good, or your face hasn't been wet enough for long enough, then it would not help.

I'm pretty sure that, given more time, you'll get there. I did, but it's taken a while!

Ian

man of leisure said:
JohnnyO said:

Now who was it used 3 razors. ???? :angel::angel::angel:

• ... and the man (of leisure) wins himself a spoon - congratulations!

Drroly said:
In these problem areas, when I move the blade upwards it seems bristles get stuck against the blade and will not be cut. Forcing the razor seems to pull out rather than cur the stubble, leaving a blood spot or ingrowing hair. My only choice is to slowly move the razor backwards to disengage it.

I have been using:
EJ DE89 Razor
Merkur Platinum Blades
Derby Stainless Blades
Feather Blades

I'm not adverse to the idea of trying different blades or a more/less aggressive razor if needed. Thanks.

Hi there,

Man, reading about the razor stopping suddenly on your face sorta gave me the creeps. Yeah, that's never a good thing, having done exactly that in the past.

You know, this goofy 'hobby' has some wrinkles that are tough to figure out. Your're (that is for Tony) problem could be caused by any number of things like blade, technique, razor, lather........good stuff like that.

I didn't see how many DE shaves you've had, but if it's only 15-20 then don't worry about it. There's usually a few spots that'll take longer to tame, but eventually they come around. Keep in mind it'll take about a month of trial and error before your shaves are consistantly good (but not great).

You need to pick one blade type and stay with it for a few weeks. Heh, the problem is that you have three that may not be the best to start with. That Feather will really screw you up and make things tougher to figure out your technique. The blade can be too much for me in most razors, but it's magical in a very few. It's not a normal blade, and there's lots better ones to learn on.

Heh, the Merkur blade is the one I started with. I would save you some pain and tell you to pass on those. As the saying goes, some people like em but most don't. Derbys have their fans I guess, but I don't believe they're all that popular anymore.

I'd recommend ordering a small blade sampler, or maybe asking in the forum for a couple blades to try. I think that the right blade will be just the ticket after using one of those others for a while. You may find that'll solve your problem, especially since your technique will be good by then,

Well, it's one possible answer.........

Martin

I'd do 2 things:
1: Change blade, it's all personal but I'd suggest trying a Gillette 7 o'clock yellow. If you want to try a couple of boxes before buying any yourself, PM me an address and I'll send you some.
2: Stop shaving against the grain and approch it from the sides instead. So 1 pass with the grain and then another across it. Maybe even 1 more pass across the grain from the other side. Certainly don't do against the grain every day.

Few people can shave against the grain at all, let alone in all areas of their face every day. Don't beat your face up over it, it'll come together as you experiment. Just stay reasonably close and presentable but above all, comfortable. Super smooth will probably come later.

Sounds familiar :) And the solution is.. Everything described above. A new blade to begin with, and yes - check out the Gillettes, and if you're able to - Sputniks. Also, patches like that simply require an extra WTG or even two. Reducing is the key ;)

Drroly said:
However, there are a couple of patches on my face that, so far, will not take an ATG pass.

In these problem areas, when I move the blade upwards it seems bristles get stuck against the blade and will not be cut. Forcing the razor seems to pull out rather than cur the stubble, leaving a blood spot or ingrowing hair.

Then you're not ready for ATG shaving on some areas. Your blade angle could be off/inconsistent, lather will need work, technique needs refining, and/or you're trying to get the ultimate shave before learning how, and which tools work best for you.

Back
Top Bottom