Rebooting a fountain pen

Couldn't think of a way to phrase this question, hence the daft thread title.

Anyway, I'm wondering what you fountaineers do when you are changing the cartridge on a pen which has not been used for a wee while, and has dried up.
I generally run warm water over the nib (pen held upside down) until I see the water take a bit of colour, then dry the excess with a tissue, then doodle on a pad til the ink comes through properly.

Any alternative methods?

Just bought the Mrs a new pen and the salesman advised soaking the nib parts in water overnight every 8 weeks or so as routine maintenance. Tried the overnight soak with my pen and it is better after although I can't say I'd noticed any problems beforehand.

Totally OT; the title reminds me of I guy I know. The fuse went in the fusebox. He couldn't understand why when he tried 'rebooting it', it still didn't work. I asked him how he did that. He turned everything electric in the house off and then on again.............. Honest to God, I'm not making that up.:huh:

Warm water method works for me too, after I give it a good shake I gently dab a sheet of kitchen roll over the nib to draw out any water that is stuck in there, likewise I try & do the same down where the cartridge sits as water can collect at the bottom too.

Back
Top Bottom