received my FrenchBlade/Man of Leisure starter pack!

alex98uk said:
Ya, I watched that video, really informative :) What I kinda meant was, the bowl that the Palmolive is in, do I swoosh around the brush in that, or take some of it and lather it up in a separate bowl? If you look at the pic on the first page, the palmolive is in a small bowl.

It is only small but should be fine for loading the brush. What I do is soak my brush before I get in the shower, and if using a harder soap such as Palmolive will run some hot water in to the soap dish too. Then before I use it I pour the water out and it's nicely softened ready for the brush. One little tip is to hold the bowl upside down as you swirl as it helps the soap get right in to the brush. :D

Have a few tries. Palmolive is cheap as chips so it's not like it matters if you waste some while working on the perfect lather.

Ah, excellent, that hard soap guide is really good! The monsavon is soft, so I should lather that up in a separate bowl so as not to ruin it, same with the Nanny's stuff I have. The Palmolive is really hard, so I can soak the brush for 2 mins and leave a teaspoon of water on top of the puck and then lather up on that?

I think i'm correct? I'm just getting ready to shave now and realized I wasn't sure on lathering :p

Right, well first shave done and quite happy :)

I used Nanny's Zinger as it was something I could splodge in the middle of my brush. I noted a few problems to begin with:

1. Not enough lather! Nowhere near as much as I saw in some of the videos or pictures. Not sure whether I used too little soap, not enough water or whether naturally, it doesn't lather up massively.
2. Cut myself! Seems a lot less forgiving than the Fusion. Seems this razor requires you to be careful and really take your time to get the best cut. I did a slightly rushed one this time as I have to go to bed before work tomorrow
3. It burns! Oh lord it burns!?!? Again, probably the lack of lather and the fact I rushed. Got some cooling gel on now which is helping!

Action to be taken:

1. Take shower before shaving. I think this will make a big difference. I didn't because time is not on my side atm
2. Lather more, not sure how, but more!
3. Take more time with the razor!

In terms of actual cut, I would say it is on par with a good cut with my Fusion (however that costs a lot more). I just need to learn and hopefully move forward. What I did love was the increased precision, it was a lot easier to shave the extremities of my face, including my small mole :)

alex98uk said:
I used Nanny's Zinger as it was something I could splodge in the middle of my brush. I noted a few problems to begin with:

1. Not enough lather! Nowhere near as much as I saw in some of the videos or pictures. Not sure whether I used too little soap, not enough water or whether naturally, it doesn't lather up massively. I've found that unless you are using a genuine cream it isn't a good idea to put a blob of a soft soap like Nannys in to the brush. I do the hot water on the soap routine with this one, then I swirl. You need to do this until you can see the brush really starting to fill with the first stages of lather. If you don't have enough just do it again for the next pass.
2. Cut myself! Seems a lot less forgiving than the Fusion. Seems this razor requires you to be careful and really take your time to get the best cut. I did a slightly rushed one this time as I have to go to bed before work tomorrow Yes you will need to take your time. Apply little pressure letting the razor do the work. This vid is very good: http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/How-to-shave.html(though I don't lather like Robert)
3. It burns! Oh lord it burns!?!? Again, probably the lack of lather and the fact I rushed. Got some cooling gel on now which is helping! It's possible the reason for this is too much pressure

Action to be taken:

1. Take shower before shaving. I think this will make a big difference. I didn't because time is not on my side atm Definitely! Or at the very least use a hot flannel on your face for a couple of minutes
2. Lather more, not sure how, but more! Load that brush well. Practice when you have a few minutes and get used to how much water you need to introduce. Have a go face-lathering and bowl-lathering. You could even palm-lather, not very popular but it gives you a good feel (literally!) for how the lather is going
3. Take more time with the razor!Yup, see vid above!

Congratulations on taking your first step into DE shaving. Looks like you've everything needed for your fist month or two at least :D

OK - if your skin is burning then it's likely a problem with your lather - it should be quite thick and slippy. Keep practicing and following the advice, it's all good. If you want the best bit of lather for your last pass then squeeze it out of the brush between - it's lovely stuff.

If using the creams you need a splodge about the size of a finger nail, stick it in a bowl or on the damp brush and get to work in a bowl or on your face.

All the best, see you around.

Alex, I expect that what may have happened is that the soap didn't all dissolve. It's not as soft as a cream. For bowl lathering with my soap, either load as with a hard soap, or smear a blob on a spot in the bowl that you have dried (this makes sure it sticks to the bowl), and then it will dissolve as you work the brush in the bowl.
You might want to check the inside of your brush - you might find that the lump of soap is still stuck in there. :(
Congrats on your first shave. I'm sure it'll be onwards and upwards from now.

Great start!! Nice razors....mmmmm Lovin the superspeed. I have one the same and it is awesome.
Use no pressure. Just look at it as removing the lather and reducing stubble pass by pass.
Gently, slowly.
Map your beard growth. This has made a massive difference as I have found that my under the chinny chin chin hair goes left to right. This is important as you could go against the grain (ATG) on a first pass.
Just do one or two with the grain(WTG) passes and enjoy. IN fact I simply do not go ATG as I do fine without.
I'm still a novice at 2 months or so and it is only now that it is really coming together.
So
Have Faith!
Cheers,
Timslick.

Really good razor to start with,

If you want a really nice shave albeit not for long those sharks are lovely blades, one of my favs.
If Max sent you some Monsavon like someone else mentioned you will enjoy that, used only once myself but its nice french stuff :D

Had my second shave today whilst hair was still relatively short... so much better! :D I took onboard lessons from last time, I had a nice hot 20 minute shower and the blade slid over my skin much better, lots less resistance. I used Palmolive hard soap today and put a few drops on the puck again and lathered up. Again, not quite as much soap as I would have liked, but enough.

I only cut myself once this time when playing around to see how much pressure I could exert before I cut myself (so currently holding tissue to my cheek :p). There is a ton less razor burn, I think because I took my time. The actual mechanics of shaving are a lot, lot different to using a multi-blade cartridge razor. It requires a lot more time and gentle strokes. The Fusion is quite forgiving, albeit at the expense of actual cut and precision.

Also, the aftershave gel FrenchBlade sent is really good. Cools the skin really well. Few questions:

1. Is it normal to see some hairs fall out of the brush?
2. How long should a razor blade last?
3. Is there any best way to care for a razor? Should I dry it immediately?

Really enjoying this. Actually had a shave out of pleasure tonight, not because I looked like a hobo :D

alex98uk said:
1. Is it normal to see some hairs fall out of the brush?
2. How long should a razor blade last?
3. Is there any best way to care for a razor? Should I dry it immediately?

1.) New brushes shed a few hairs in the beginning, which is pretty normal, and you'll lose some now and then in the future.
2.) When you're starting out, don't push a blade past 3 shaves, some shave a lot more with a blade, but you don't need an extra variable that can make for a bad shave.
3.) Rince under a tap, I prefer removing the blade and giving at a good rince, some don't. Once every so often, give it a wash with WU liquid and a toothbrush, or rince in water and vinegar mix.
(don't forget to rince, vinegar is acid, not great on the face!)

Glad you're enjoying it, which razor are you using?

Max

I'm currently using the Tech. I will test drive the SuperSpeed, but I think I will give it to my brother as he was complaining that as a student, he couldn't afford to use his Fusion and resorted to Bic disposables. It will be a nice present to get him started and hopefully save him some money. Sharing is always nice I think :)

alex98uk said:
I'm currently using the Tech. I will test drive the SuperSpeed, but I think I will give it to my brother as he was complaining that as a student, he couldn't afford to use his Fusion and resorted to Bic disposables. It will be a nice present to get him started and hopefully save him some money. Sharing is always nice I think :)
Give it a try yourself, I might be able to find you another one for your brother :p

Max

alex98uk said:

Try out the superspeed, very elegant razor, love mine since Max sorted me out with one, great shave, had one of the closest shaves yet on setting 7.

cozzyb said:
alex98uk said:

Try out the superspeed, very elegant razor, love mine since Max sorted me out with one, great shave, had one of the closest shaves yet on setting 7.

Would that be a slim you got as superspeeds are non adjustable :eek:

Back
Top Bottom