Recommend me a boar brush, please :) My first and last boar.....

Hey Forum,

I have been on a shaving brush hunt lately and have purchased 16 nice badger hair brushes, but think it's about time I got myself a great boar brush - but I know nothing about boars, so please help me with advice :)

My budget: €80/$100
I face lather exclusively and only use creams and croaps, not soaps ( then tend to dry out my face)

Don't know if this is relevant, but I currently own these badger brushes - also like to show off my little new brush collection of course ;-)

Kent BK8 3-band Silvertip
Thäter 49125/2 2-band
Shavemac 233 Bruyerswood D01 2-band
MÜHLE Sophist 3-band Silvertip
MÜHLE Stylo Thujawood 3-band Silvertip
Rooney Heritage Stubby 2XL
Rooney Style 1 3-band Silvertip
Thiers Issard Horn 23 mm 3-band Super Badger
Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger Size 2
Morris & Forndran Finest Stubby Medium 29 mm
Semogue SOC 2-band Cherry wood
Semogue LE 2011 Finest Badger 2
Simpson Duke 3 2-Band Super
Simpson Chubby 2 2-band Super
SimFix Snaefell 2-band Super
MÜHLE Classic Silvertip Fibre 25 mm

I consider getting the Semogue 830 - is this a good boar ?

[attachment=5524]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346939078.305838.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346939078.305838.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 42
Proraso Chrome effect (an Omega sold by Proraso) is a good bristle brush and cheap too, also the Kent VS10 Gel, again low cost but a good brush.

Both worth a try without busting a budget.

Helveticum said:
Omega beats Semogue anytime (although I'm sure some will disagree). Nevermind it's cheaper. So you can just find the Omega design you like the most and lather away.

Lol, this is so true. I'd disagree! Semogue is my first choice of boar.

I have lots of favourites. If you can get hold of one, the 2011 LE's are nice. Especially when broken in. The size 1 really tested me. Then all of a sudden it was great and still is.

Scrubby - 620.
All rounders - 830 or 1305
SoC has a lovely handle

I have quite a few but the above are just some quick thoughts.

Helveticum said:
I really tried. Could produce any lather with ARKO only. Waaay too floppy (I had the 2000). But since it's got its followers there's gotta be a trick..

To be honest there has been one soap where it failed to lather , it might have been the soap though as I was that disgusted with the soap I binned it without trying another brush , I always bowl lather too , it wont hold enough lather for a 3 pass shave on my chunky chops ,

Regards
Derrick

In a few words: in general I found that Omega brushes have better boar hair than Semogue (easier to break, and less foam hunger) but worse cheap plastic handles. Semogue has problems with their painted wood handles, which tends to loose paint. I do not know how much cost in Uk but here in Spain Omega boar brushes are much cheaper than Semogue.

About the models, I do not recommend Semogue 830. Yes, it has very soft tips once broken but is tooo floppy and foam hunger. I recommend an Omega Profesional series like 10098 for bowl lathering or any model of 23-24mm. knot for facelathering instead.

Cheers

Get Rod Neep to make you a Mega Boar which has the large 27mm Omega knot in a swanky custom turned handle. Here you go: Big Pig

More expensive sure but when you've got that many brushes, what's a few quid extra.....?

Alternatively, there's the Vulfix 2234 in boar from Connaught

I have the mixed boar and badger Vulfix 'Grosvenor' 404 and its done me very well thus far.

i've got the 1305 which took a hell of a lot of breaking in but is now great.

However, I have a 2011 LE 2 Boar and that is simply fabulous (like Dipesh says). I've been using it this week and it is incredibly versatile.

I have a Vulfix 404. The Grosvenor mixed bristle and badger. Well made and you get the best of both at a really reasonable price. Nice handle too and UK made.

Back
Top Bottom