Recommendations for Sensitive Shaving Products please

I have real trouble with my skin sometimes. What I am looking for is recommendations for sensitive skin, everything from face wash to what you slap on to finish off.

Any and all suggestions are good because I am a bit sore today! Plus would I actually be better off cold shaving?

The last one is easy - of course you'd be better off cold shaving. Give it a go, why don't you?!

The first is also easy for me and this may or may not hold good for your skin - avoid TOBS like the plague, use animal fat soaps but infrequently. Carefully watch your skin reaction to new products - you can usually tell within seconds or a few hours. Build a stash of products you know are safe to use and go for your life!

I have very sensitive skin and during last couple years I tried a lot products which will help me. That was the reason I started wet shaving also.

My list goes like that:

Prep: GFT Skin Food Lime or Coral
Soap/Cream: P.160 and Kiss my face Cream cool mint(spot on and cheap) and have moisturiser.
After: Thayers Witch Hazel with Aloe ( this also help when skin was expose to sun or wind. Very refreshing
Balm if need it T&H West Indian limes

Face wash I like Kiehl's facial Fuel and then their ultra facial cream.

If you want I can send you some samples of KMF cream, Thayers and skin food

Unfortunately there is not just ONE type of sensitive skin. Everyone's skin is different and reacts differently to various types of ingredients, even in products that are advertised as 'for sensitive skin'. What's known to cause problems with many people though are alcohol based aftershaves and scents that are often added to soap/cream/AS/balm, but almost any ingredient can cause a reaction with some people.

I would therefore suggest keeping a list of ingredients for all the products you use and making a log of each shave and what skin reactions, if any, that you have. Eventually you should be able to pinpoint which common ingredient(s) are causing problems.

A few things that definitely wouldn't hurt is to try cold water shaving and, at first at least, avoid exfoliating and face lathering which can aggrevate the skin. Try bowl lathering and gently painting the lather on your face. I would also suggest using the fewest possible products during the course of a shave, keeping it simple. Then one by one you can introduce a more complicated pre-shave routine, post-shave products, etc. if you feel like it, all the while keeping an eye on any negative effect this may have. Of course none of this is worth anything if your technique isn't up to scratch!

For what it's worth, I realised after a lot of trial and error that I'm allergic to alum and witch hazel, both products recommended by a lot of people...

FrankieG said:
For what it's worth, I realised after a lot of trial and error that I'm allegic to alum and whitch hazel, both products recommended by a lot of people.

That sums up the problem nicely. The only way is trial and error on your skin.

I'm not sure lists of products would work - not only very tedious but it may be combinations of ingredients that do the harm. I dunno. I just avoid the products that cause damage and use the ones that don't.

For me, TOBS creams may as well be made of munching little critters - they start feeding instantly on touching my face. Damn good creams - that eat me alive!

As far as things like creams, soaps and aftershave products are concerned, try to avoid anything with scent added to it. Basically, if it says "Parfum" in the ingredients list it may be advisable to give it a wide berth.

ian

I suffer a little from sensitivity (of my face and skin lads!!)

I loved using alum, and proraso green as a pre and post shave.

I have found that both, by a process of elimination, were bringing my neck out in red blothches.

I love the smell of 1805 but after a while I began to feel a stinging sensation during shaving. Stopped using it and great. I did switch to Mitchells Wool Fat soap and I love it.

So, MWF soap might hit the spot. Not too perfumed, lanolin to help (but your might be sensitive to it) but only about £5 for a bare pack so maybe worth a try.

I love shaving now after joining the DE brigade but sometimes everyday is too much for my skin. A 3 or 4 day beard and I get a great sting free shave with aftershave.

Every day, it's fun and smooth, but stingy with AS.

May just be the laziness that comes on with summer but I've been just using a razor, blade and warm water. An '04 and a polsilver stainless have been my favorite. 2xs and not a bad shave.

Start with products that have external 'organic' or 'bio' certification, which includes a label on the packaging. 'Sensitive' is a massive and profitable marketing exercise.

FrankieG said:
Gairdner said:
Ingram Quality Lather Shave ;)

And just where are you getting MWF for a pearl?

John Lewis has Kent labelled MWF for £5.60 I believe.

Much obliged, Frankie. I'll ask SWMBO if she would mind taking a wee daunder along one afternoon and procuring some. Job jobbed, as Vinny would say. :D

I look for stuff with aloe vera in, as its very soothing for my skin, some stuff will sting my face. The Nivea for men post-shave balm is quite good, and not expensive either.

After decades of referrals to Skin clinics & dermatologists I've found that glycerine face washes & shaving soaps work well for me in avoiding flare ups & erruptions. I also use Forever Living face & body wash on occasion (bit expensive for my circumstances).
I also still follow the advice given to me back in the 1970s by a dermatologist to use lukewarm water with a dash of malt vinegar in it for a final rinse before patting dry with the softest cotton terry towel (or a nappy) I can obtain. Far as I recall she said that the vinegar bit was to restore the skins PH factor speedily after using an alkali cleanser.
I can't use any alcohol based aftershave etc on my face, however I do use a small amount of an aloe vera balm which feels greasy on application, however dries in very fast & soothes the skin well.
Unfortunately as far as skin irritations or reactions are concerned I'm afraid that they seem to be so individual it's quite possible that all I've suggested will be of no value to you at all.
Best of Luck.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom