Recommended Kindle accessories

Leather cover recommendation? (something stylish and durable please)

Any other recommended accessories perhaps?

[seriously thinking of making the plunge now as you can see...]

I bought a neoprene slip case for mine - no bothering with a case with a light in it, there's an adequate lamp on my bedside table...

Only other thing would be a multistandard charger - but since you probably already have armfuls of mains-to-USB wall warts, you're sorted there :)

As I go camping I bought the leather case with the light, it is very effective and does not seem to have much effect on battery life.

I did not bother with a car charger as it lasts for a month with the wi-fi turned off.

Otherwise that is about it, so far..............

The case with the light is excellent, my friend has one and loves it, BUT - I personally don't like those cases because they make it a book-sized object when open. To me half the advantage of the kindle is that it's smaller than a book in the hand and in use, I want a holder that comes off completely. (You can take their leather case all the way off, of course, but it's a bit of a fiddle.)

I very nearly bought one of those neoprene cases - in fact I'd ordered it and cancelled the order - when I realised that my old leather traveler's wallet, the sort with compartments for rail and air tickets etc, was the perfect size to hold it for sticking in a bag.

Dr Rick said:
The case with the light is excellent, my friend has one and loves it, BUT - I personally don't like those cases because they make it a book-sized object when open. To me half the advantage of the kindle is that it's smaller than a book in the hand and in use, I want a holder that comes off completely.

Completely agree, I haven't got an official leather case went for a slip case which completely encloses the Kindle when not in use and it works perfectly well.

Also have a 'Mighty Bright' light for night reading.

Any ideas on wallpapers?

Do you guys use the standard one or is there a web resource where I can find alternatives?

I've seen some being available for sale in Amazon.co.uk but just thought I should ask on other places where we may be able to find one.

Adding your own wallpapers requires jailbreaking the kindle, and I'm not sufficiently motivated to do that - as HM says, when it's off I'm not looking at it. The Steinbeck mugshot is a little disturbing, but you can always power cycle it when that one comes up ;).

All right, let it get here first and then we'll see. Thought there's always this Agatha Christie picture there, the one I see on the Youtube reviews, and wondered if I could replace it with something else, that's all.

Thanks boys.

Ah. There is a Christie picture, but there are also 22 others that are cycled through in order each time you put it to sleep. Some are splendid, some less so, but I find there's enough variety that I'm untroubled by them.

If you do want custom wallpapers it's really easy to do, takes five minutes and is reversible.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/37424/jailbreak-your-kindle-for-dead-simple-screensaver-customization/

Lots of custom wallpapers out there. This is a good resource for them. I put some Escher ones on mine last week.

I put custom wallpaper on mine just because you can, current fave

wellhellothere.jpg

Now on my 3rd attempt at applying a protective screen cover for my Sister's Kindle Fire HD.

Is there a top tip or a particular method in applying these that I am missing out on somewhere, as each time so far it looks ok when you first put it on but then as soon as you touch it you get bubbles, that are then either impossible to remove or pick up dust when you lift it to try and remove them, thus rendering the protector useless!

Pete

Back
Top Bottom