Rescuing British English

Status
Not open for further replies.
British English, or Estuary English, may be rampant on this island, and may be representative of what the indigenous population might think is proper English as spoken by 30 million natives, but the world learns American English as spoken by 320 million native speakers. The insistence by Brits that they are the chosen ones has been put to rest over, and over again. It is only when you acknowledge a Higher Power (Donald J. Trump) that you begin the journey to redemption. High five, @Bogeyman !
There is no such thing as "British ", English, only The Englsh Language and bastardisations of it.
Anyone who thinks that "Estuary" English is a language is sadly misinformed.

It is only when you acknowledge a Higher Power (Donald J. Trump) that you begin the journey to redemption.
14051976_ori.jpg

Regional dialects certainly vary from their parent language in pronunciation, syntax and to an extent vocabulary. They do however remain exactly that, a local dialect. I doubt greatly that any teacher of English will ever be instructing their students in ' estuary ' , ' doric ' or even Tyncastle as they impart the rules of English grammar. Regional dialects add greatly to the richness and variety of our country, they don't however constitute a new national language.

JohnnyO. o/

If Castro is so wonderful and Cuba such a paradise, then why are thousands of its citizens willing to risk their lives almost daily to escape to the USA?
Maybe because their TV and radio broadcasts keep being interrupted by messages telling them how great life in the US is, whilst failing to mention things like Washington having the highest infant mortality rate in the western world and is comparable to third world countries.
As regards your statement re "unscrupulous" bankers, you foreigners are oblivious to the ridiculous requirements they labor under called the Community Reinvestment Act and other entitlement programs forcing them to make loans to minorities with wretched credit ratings, i.e., "deadbeats":
Read through your article, it was actually the very rich trying to take advantage if the relaxed lending legislation which snowballed the problem.
Why so many Americans believe the poor only have themselves to blame and the rich have always earned their wealth never ceases to amaze me.
As regards the "homeless" people you speak of, the vast majority have mental and/or drug issues but because the "hand wringing" Liberals screamed for deinstitutionalization under President Nixon they were dumped into mainstream society.
The homeless I talk of, have only come to light in the last five years.
But as for those with mental health issues being left without adequate safety nets, the blame over here lies squarely on Thatcher's shoulders and her "Care in the Community" program. Now after so many subsequent cuts in funding, the Police are now the substitution to trained psychiatric professionals.
Yes, Margaret Thatcher, the same person who sold the masses the lie of trickle down economics.
As you seem to like your quotes here's one from a respected economist:

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.
John Maynard Keynes

...Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.
John Maynard Keynes

And you're reduced to quoting a homosexual Marxist (and a proponent of eugenics I might add) long discredited as a crackpot... :rolleyes:

And you're reduced to quoting a homosexual Marxist (and a proponent of eugenics I might add) long discredited as a crackpot... :rolleyes:

At least I haven't been reduced to mudslinging and novelty records.

Addressing your points about Keynes:
He was bisexual, not that it matters.
Many of his generation were proponents of eugenics. It only became a dirty word after the second world war, when people saw where it could lead.
This is what he had to say about Marxism;

"How can I accept the Communist doctrine, which sets up as its bible, above and beyond criticism, an obsolete textbook which I know not only to be scientifically erroneous but without interest or application to the modern world?"

He's still highly regarded in the world of economics and considered the founder of modern macroeconomics.

Last edited:
When things seemed to be going smoothly:
Canadians do have one thing Americans don't - they border the world's only superpower.
The "no politics" rule makes little sense when you realize that all of the above is totally out of our hands
Oh, and America isn't a democracy. She is a Constitutional Republic.
It is only when you acknowledge a Higher Power (Donald J. Trump) that you begin the journey to redemption. High five, @Bogeyman !
Then directly after @Bogeyman dropped the H-bomb:
Time to close this thread. It's stopped being fun. My bad.
:p

Ma
Why so many Americans believe the poor only have themselves to blame and the rich have always earned their wealth never ceases to amaze me.
It's possibly related to political culture - the laisse-faire ideology that affected us in the UK in the first half of the 19th century as the wealthy failed to comprehend the massive effects of the Industrial Revolution was exported to the US just as the Settlers were heading West and trying to make a living in very hostile conditions. As a result, their politics have never really developed from that point; too many Americans think it's still the 1840s and all their problems can be solved with firearms and hard work.

While Europe understood in the late 19th and early 20th centuries that industrialisation, the flow of people from rural areas to the cities and their consequent reliance upon rented housing and pay meant that the old certainties that those who lived in poverty were almost certainly in that situation as a result of their own failings were no longer applicable, which led to such legislation as the Public Health Act of 1875 and the State Pension in the early 20th century, the United States still holds that idea to be true. Of course, they also have been told that anyone can become vastly wealthy if only they work hard enough (a demonstrable load of guff as someone still has to collect the rubbish and clean the streets, and printing enough money to pay them a huge salary would lead to rampant inflation), so their love of the wealthy and hatred of those in poverty is understandable if regrettable.

Is TSR really the place for homophobia? I'd also like to explain, as a biologist, that, prior to the adoption and misuse of eugenics by the Nazis, it was a reasonably acceptable idea. At that time, the concept that you could improve the health of a nation by encouraging the strongest and fittest to procreate while discouraging those with disabilities* from doing so had yet to be changed to "kill the undesireables to generate an homogenous population" - had British eugenicists of the early 20th century been told that this was where their idea would be taken, they'd have disowned it.

*I'm disabled, so I'm not being 'ableist'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom