Restore my fatboy

Is there anywhere in the UK. That I can send my fatboy too for a restore? The silo door is slightly bent where it attaches too the end cap. And has abit of plate loss in that area. It doesn't seem to affect the blade gap.

So would like the slight miss alignment sorting and fully replated

Thanks scott

Dr. Terror was posting a lot of restorations but not sure if he covers repairs as well. Try a PM.

+1. Last I heard he'd been busy with pre-Christmas restorations & repairs but hadn't been well. Haven't heard from him for a while but worth dropping him a PM.

Regards,
Chris

Scott,
I don't know whether you PM'd @DrTerror in the end but I haven't heard from him since Boxing Day (we had a bit of banter going on and I'd bought his Gillette Fatboy Christmas set). I tried to contact him again on 6 Feb but had no reply, which isn't like him. He said he'd been ill Christmas Day but I'm concerned, frankly.

Have you had any luck tracking down other razor replating & repair shops in the UK? The only other restoration company I'd heard recommended in this country has relocated to New Zealand. While he was preparing to take on work again, it's a bit of a distance to post a razor. I've got a couple of DEs I'm considering getting replated, so I'd be interested if you hear of any recommendations.

Regards,
Chris

Scott,
I don't know whether you PM'd @DrTerror in the end but I haven't heard from him since Boxing Day (we had a bit of banter going on and I'd bought his Gillette Fatboy Christmas set). I tried to contact him again on 6 Feb but had no reply, which isn't like him. He said he'd been ill Christmas Day but I'm concerned, frankly.

Have you had any luck tracking down other razor replating & repair shops in the UK? The only other restoration company I'd heard recommended in this country has relocated to New Zealand. While he was preparing to take on work again, it's a bit of a distance to post a razor. I've got a couple of DEs I'm considering getting replated, so I'd be interested if you hear of any recommendations.

Regards,
Chris

I've tried contacting Dr terror, but not had a reply, hope he is ok. Daz has now set up his business in new Zealand, he was moving house last time I contacted him via email. The shipping Costs are expensive to new Zealand Thats the only issue

I've had 2 Fatboys and a slim replated by the Razor Emporium. I had a few problems with them, but all got sorted in the end. Due to this I'm not giving them a glowing endorsement, but if your'e willing to give them a go, the end results were decent and hopefully they've learned from their mistakes. I too am worried that Mike(Dr T) has been absent for a while as he was getting a lovely home based setup going, and he truly seemed to be enjoying himself. I do hope he's ok, but apart from him your choices are, sad to say very limited.

The only other alternative I can think of is dismantle it yourself and send the components to one of the industrial platers mentioned previously

This did cross my mind, but if able to do this, most would do it off their own back. If your not comfortable with this type of operation it's probably best to practice on something a little less desireable;)

The earlier Fatboys are a lot better for this. I think the issues up to second or third quarter of 59? ..... have the threaded retainer in the TTO knob; later issues are pressed and crimped. With the threaded one, once that's off, the push rod and door assembly will come right out and allow any tweaking of the geometry outside of the razor, making the realignment a whole lot easier.

If you have the later issue Fatboy ......... With the pressed and crimped TTO retainer ........ Any strip down will have to be done by someone capable of re crimping the retainer to the end of the push rod, or your Fatty won't be going back together ;)

The earlier Fatboys are a lot better for this. I think the issues up to second or third quarter of 59? ..... have the threaded retainer in the TTO knob; later issues are pressed and crimped. With the threaded one, once that's off, the push rod and door assembly will come right out and allow any tweaking of the geometry outside of the razor, making the realignment a whole lot easier.

If you have the later issue Fatboy ......... With the pressed and crimped TTO retainer ........ Any strip down will have to be done by someone capable of re crimping the retainer to the end of the push rod, or your Fatty won't be going back together ;)

So shall it be written, so shall it be done. ;) This fella in the USA has done three for me and he is a great guy as well as a genius at this:

I had a slim refurbished and replated by Restored Razors. He did an excellent job, p&p to and from New Zealand is pretty high though. I was hoping to ask Dr Terror to replate a couple for me, Sadly he has been unwell. I will ask Dave at Restored Razors, but I'll send 2 or 3 next time to save on P&P costs, when I have enough cash!

Back
Top Bottom