Restoring Brushes

Just need a bit of advice, i got three brushes in a job lot from the USA for £8, yeah they are well used but going to have a go at playing around and tarting them up.........now my question is, do i just snip the hair down as far as it will go, then use a drill bit like the one below to remove out the remaining hair and stuff ?

FLATBITS.jpg

or just use a regular drill but and keep picking at it.......?

then i guess it's just cleaning it up and filling the handle with something to build it up for a new knot to go in ?

(these are the brushes, not pretty but it's just for me to play around with...)
[attachment=0]

I've not done any brush restorations but I would be very wary of using a spade bit like that, for that purpose, without using either a drill stand or drill press.

I'd cut the hair down and then use a regular drill bit in the centre of the knot to break the knot bed up, you should then be able to pull it out with needle nose pliers. That's the way I've done it before, I think it would be easier than using that type of bit.

yeah all i have is a vice to hold the brush in and doing the drilling "freeestylee...!" by hand :shock: ok maybe will just use a normall drill bit, i also have a dremel but i can see me just destroying the brush in seconds.....with such a choice of bits to use

i have zero..and i mean ZERO experience of all things DIY / Tools / etc etc, my Girlfriend put together a stand we got from Ikea last year as i got so pissed off with it i nearly launched it out of the window !!!

The 1st thing I would try is soaking in very hot water for a fair few minutes, to see if it softens the glue, clamp the bristles in the vice and give the handle a tug. You never know :ugeek:

Good idea, soaking or boiling the brush might loosen the knot enough to be able to yank it out.

Otherwise slow and steady ideally with a dremel type device or smallish standard drill bit unless you want to undergo microsurgery at the local hospital. There is no quick way of doing this if it is well glued and NEVER with that type of flat bit. Tape up the handle to indicate if you are getting a bit near to critical edges.

If the knots sits tight, which they prob. do, since they survived that long (looks old), I would take Tonys advice! I´ve done two restores, where the knots have been tight and ultra hard and it took time, I did it over a period of several days. The best thing would be if you had access to the kind of drill that´s fixed and you lower with a handle (and the thing you´re about to drill, also is fixed).

Bleedin amateurs!! :roll: :roll:
You don't see me doin' the bootsales on Sunday mornin's do you,
or makin' after shaves do you,
or makin shaving soaps do you?? :x

Well,,, keep away from the restorations,,
how am I supposed to earn a living :mrgreen:

regards beejay

beejay said:
Bleedin amateurs!! :roll: :roll:
You don't see me doin' the bootsales on Sunday mornin's do you,
or makin' after shaves do you,
or makin shaving soaps do you?? :x

Well,,, keep away from the restorations,,
how am I supposed to earn a living :mrgreen:

regards beejay

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I have never done any D.I.Y on a shaving brush, but I am a Carpenter, and Mr D.I.Y if I may say so, if I was to do this, I would use a bench drill, then secure the brush handle with some protective cover in a clamp, I would leave a certain amount of hair above the handle, not cutting it right back then using a small drill bit, drill a pilot hole directly in the middle, then using a slightly larger drill repeat the process, untill i got quite close to the handle wall, then I would try to manually remove the remaing hair with a surgical forceps, hope that helps.

Jamie

Back
Top Bottom