REVIEW - Phoenix & Beau 'Spitfire'

I recently ordered some soaps from Connaught's and had them throw in a sample of this to try and I am sure glad I did. Boy Howdy, does this soap smell & work great!! It's like you found grandpa's old WWII A-2 leather jacket hidden away in a log cabin closet lined with juniper wood. Great stuff!!
It does make you reminisce doesn't it? :) I pulled Spitfire out for a shave this morning, every bit as good as day one :)

I've had this soap for a few months now and it is a fantastic performer. I have to say that I appreciate the scent but it isn't really for me so I haven't used it as much as I should. I've been living away from home for a while now and ended up taking this soap and using it a bit more. I don't know if anyone else experienced this but after my (roughly) 8th shave this soaps scent changed dramatically and to be honest I don't think I can stop using it for the next while. It's shot to the top in my opinion. I don't know why this is but the tobacco scent has all of a sudden just exploded through. What a fantastic soap, looking forward to many more from them, possibly a wee oud scent at some point ;)

My thoughts, based on a small sample:

A tallow soap from a British artisan? I was in. In fact I'd been meaning to take a look at these for a while.

I found lathering took some effort, although subsequently I see they note that their soaps are ‘thirsty beasts' — which would explain why I got better performance when blooming it before use. With a bit of water lather blossomed.

Slickness and protection varied and I rarely got away without a good number of nicks. Few were substantial but were more than I'd expect from a soap providing adequate protection.

The fragrance generally accompanied me. It's described as tobacco, leather and juniper. I picked it up as a ‘soap' scent more often than not but paying closer attention I may have confused that with the tobacco (or it's layered on top, just not very strong). It's pleasant enough but didn't do much for me.

I've heard a lot of good things about these soaps, so my experience may be down to using a sample rather than the main product.

That said, I found it did a pretty good job with enough water. I'd describe it as competent rather than stellar though.

Full review here.

longplay, how did you use it? I mean did you scoop out a little into a bowl or lather it in the small sample container? I tried the former for the first usage and it didn't work very well. I then just bloomed it for the second shave with a small amount of hot water on top of the soap in the sample container and then loaded my synthetic brush from the small sample container as well. World of difference. ;)

I pressed the sample into the bottom of a bowl, as they recommend. Kudos for being able to load from the sample container, it's about the size of my little finger around -- I didn't think I could even get my brush in there.

I wonder if spreading it out (in a relatively thin layer) had a negative effect, hence my comment about using the sample compared to a full size product (drying it out too much perhaps, or exposing it to air for so long causing a change in the composition -- who knows).

...Kudos for being able to load from the sample container, it's about the size of my little finger around -- I didn't think I could even get my brush in there...

Bloom the little sample tub and then swirl the damp brush on top of it like a normal sized tub while cupping the sample tub in your hand. That way lather overflow will still be in your hand to use & not lost. Trust me & try it.

Back
Top Bottom