Review: RR Hawk SE razor

I think a lot depends on the blade, but I haven't found a new SE that I would call "mild". I'm still debating whether to spring for the Asylum RX.
Very true , I've never had a problem of the new SEs being mild.
I loved the pass around RX but thought the finnish could have been better for the price of the razor. I've got a relatively cheap claymore and find it shaves just as well with the right blade.

Very true , I've never had a problem of the new SEs being mild.
I loved the pass around RX but thought the finnish could have been better for the price of the razor. I've got a relatively cheap claymore and find it shaves just as well with the right blade.
Interesting. I'd seen elsewhere the finish on the RX wasn't exceptional, which is one reason I haven't bought one; the other being it's pretty expensive. I have an assortment of Hawk, Claymore, Mongooses, Rocnels, and General, and what they all have in common is that they aren't especially mild; they're very efficient; the blades last around 8 uses; and the performance of every one varies markedly with different blades. When I got my first stainless Mongoose, it seemed from reports that it would be a beast, and I therefore bought a packet of Feather Pro-Guards. I've never opened it.

Interesting. I'd seen elsewhere the finish on the RX wasn't exceptional, which is one reason I haven't bought one; the other being it's pretty expensive. I have an assortment of Hawk, Claymore, Mongooses, Rocnels, and General, and what they all have in common is that they aren't especially mild; they're very efficient; the blades last around 8 uses; and the performance of every one varies markedly with different blades. When I got my first stainless Mongoose, it seemed from reports that it would be a beast, and I therefore bought a packet of Feather Pro-Guards. I've never opened it.
I used a pro-guard in the RX and then a pro and the difference was amazing, I stick to pro blades now and always get a great shave with them. Pro is the way to go.....YMMV! :)

Oh yes. A completely different razor in terms of aggression. It's pretty aggressive actually and that's with the blade all the way back. Much better.

I still have issues with these SE razors using AC style blades though. I find them very tuggy and rough. I feel every hair being cut. So far I've used a Mongoose, Hawk and now the El Jefe. They all feel like this. Horrible. I know I'm not the only one to experience this. I can only think it's the blades. Tried various AC blades and they all give me the same problem. I have no issue with the GEM blades in my 1912. They're like a hot knife through butter - I don't feel a thing. It's like all AC blades on my face feel blunt. Obviously they're not blunt but they aren't half uncomfortable. Weird.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the El Jefe.

Oh yes. A completely different razor in terms of aggression. It's pretty aggressive actually and that's with the blade all the way back. Much better.

I still have issues with these SE razors using AC style blades though. I find them very tuggy and rough. I feel every hair being cut. So far I've used a Mongoose, Hawk and now the El Jefe. They all feel like this. Horrible. I know I'm not the only one to experience this. I can only think it's the blades. Tried various AC blades and they all give me the same problem. I have no issue with the GEM blades in my 1912. They're like a hot knife through butter - I don't feel a thing. It's like all AC blades on my face feel blunt. Obviously they're not blunt but they aren't half uncomfortable. Weird.

My experience is completely the opposite. I love the AC blades, and have never had more comfortable shaves. On the other hand, I could never get an enjoyable shave from a Gem type. I am sure it can be chalked up to skin and beard type.

It's strange. For all the talk of how sharp they are, they always feel blunt and give me quite a rough shave. To me they don't feel as sharp as a GEM or Personna Injector. Frustrating as I'll probably ditch my SE AC razors. Perhaps I'll start a thread and see if anyone has any insight!

My experience is completely the opposite. I love the AC blades, and have never had more comfortable shaves. On the other hand, I could never get an enjoyable shave from a Gem type. I am sure it can be chalked up to skin and beard type.

It's strange. For all the talk of how sharp they are, they always feel blunt and give me quite a rough shave. To me they don't feel as sharp as a GEM or Personna Injector. Frustrating as I'll probably ditch my SE AC razors. Perhaps I'll start a thread and see if anyone has any insight!

You should start one. It would be interesting to see the differing opinions. I would grant that Feather blades (Supers especially) need a couple of shaves to smooth out, but I find them to be extremely sharp. Gem types, and Personna injectors I would say are extremely comfortable, but lacking a good edge. I find myself stretch g and buffing a lot to get a decent finish. That's all a perception and shaving style thing tho.

My personal sharpness test is this: The hair on my lower neck grows straight north and flat to my skin. If I have a very sharp blade, I can shave ATG there without any irritation or weepers; smooth, steady strokes. I can do it with an AC blade, a straight, or any moderately aggressive DE with a fresh blade. An AC blade, preferably in a shavette, is the most comfortable BBS I have ever had.

As a neophyte with wet shaving in general and SE razors in particular, I must thank my friend that advised me inyo buying a Hawk. With Kai Mild (pink) blades it gives me the most confortable and effective shave of my "arsenal". If I should have only one razor and blades it would be this combo.

Now I have some Proline blades I thought I'd give the Hawk another go and while it felt much smoother with the Proline I again realised just how useless this razor is for me. In terms of mildness and inefficiency it reminds me of the Feather Popular DE. So it got around ten seconds on my face before I gave up with it. It just doesn't get close enough. I continued with the El Jefe. This razor is a different proposition altogether. It will eat you face if you're not careful! Excellent razor. I have to give it as much attention as a straight.

Hi, I'm coming to this late, I'm interested in getting in to SE shaving, but I'm on a budget. I see that Italian Barber have the Razorock Satin Silver Hawk in stock for £19.51. However the P &P is £11.62 and if I have to pay import duty and VAT the total price to my door could easily pass £40. Not such a cheap introduction to SE shaving. Has anyone in the UK bought one from Italian Barber, what was the total cost?

Hi, I'm coming to this late, I'm interested in getting in to SE shaving, but I'm on a budget. I see that Italian Barber have the Razorock Satin Silver Hawk in stock for £19.51. However the P &P is £11.62 and if I have to pay import duty and VAT the total price to my door could easily pass £40. Not such a cheap introduction to SE shaving. Has anyone in the UK bought one from Italian Barber, what was the total cost?
I'll bring you some good and bad news.

Good; They're restocking soon and, as a result, there's going to be some stocked over here on sites like 'Shave Lounge'.

Bad; Restocking will take 5/6 weeks in America so add a couple weeks onto that for restocking over here. I've asked for updates when they're back in stock in the UK with a couple of vendors so I'll let y'all know when it does.

I'll bring you some good and bad news.

Good; They're restocking soon and, as a result, there's going to be some stocked over here on sites like 'Shave Lounge'.

Bad; Restocking will take 5/6 weeks in America so add a couple weeks onto that for restocking over here. I've asked for updates when they're back in stock in the UK with a couple of vendors so I'll let y'all know when it does.
Thanks for that, I've "registered an interest" at Shave Lounge as well.
If their advertised price of £27.95 with free UK delivery remains true then it's a bargain. A shame you can't pre order. I just need to think about blade choice. Too aggressive it will frighten me off, too mild I'l start to think I may as well have stuck to my DE razors.

Last edited:
Out of interest how aggressive to you tend to go, @neilwf? :)

The Kai Titan Captain mild (Kai Pinks) are very forgiving. The Feather Pros definitely give more blade feel without being too harsh and I'm yet to try the feather pro supers I own. :)

Razor aggressiveness isn't something I know a lot about. It seems to me It's a very complex and subjective subject. I know that I haven't found a razor / blade combo. with my DE razors that can give me a really close shave with less than three passes. If I use a "sharper blade" I still need three passes and increase the likelihood of nicks and the subsequent appearance of blood. Why take the risk! It's a process I'll have to start all over when I get an SE razor. It's something That's put me off buying a cheap Gem SE razor, there is in effect on one readily available blade.

Back
Top Bottom