Rolls Razor Blade - Salvageable?

I got a Rolls Razor yesterday and cleaned it up today. The blade came out a bit better than I expected, but there is a tiny chip/bump on the edge.

I've uploaded some high res photos here.

Could some of our knowledgeable members please give an opinion on whether it's worth getting this one honed? I know there's always the option of buying another razor, but if this blade is salvageable I'd like to get it sorted.

The more I handle this razor the more I'm desperate to give it a go.

Thanks,
Micheal

To me it looks like a spot of rust 'rusted through the edge of the blade. It looks like a lot to hone out without effecting the bevel length. Did you try shaving with it carefully??

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't tried it yet, I only cleaned it today. Would it be OK to give it a whirl on the Rolls hone and strop (both of which seem good)?

I was worried that the wee chip might damage either of them.

Thanks for all your feedback - I was worried it wouldn't be particularly useable.

A huge thanks to majortom for the generous offer - PM sent.

As an aside, has anyone here used one of these? I wouldn't even be bothered if it's a slightly less than stellar shave - the engineering in this wee thing is so novel I'd use it just for that.

Yes, when I was fifteen and my step-father was too tight arsed to buy me a 'proper' razor and dragged one of these out of his tool box. A blood transfusion later, my mother intervened. Slice of Carl, anyone?

mulligano said:
I wouldn't even be bothered if it's a slightly less than stellar shave

Saw many reviews over the years and 'less than steller' sounds about right. You don't see many of those in SOTD posts.

Still, you should give it a try........heh.

For what they go for you would be better off getting a new blade rather than trying to hone that one. I certainly would not try shaving with it.

Regarding the shave quality, in theory you should be able to get a blade honed and stropped as for a straight razor - I think the poor shave reputation is probably due to the fact that the rolls strop is just not very effective. I've used a hollow ground SE blade ( Heljestrand) and got very good shaves - however, they come with a honing attachment which is designed to get the correct bevel angle.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll see how I get on with majortom's blade and I'll be sure to report back. As far as the strop goes, has anyone rigged up a better way to strop it? The one in my own seems pretty decent, but we'll have to wait and see.

In my opinion, they shave chin area good but becomes tricky around the edges and mustache area especially if you have a skinny face.(providing honed and stropped good which takes ages) basically you got to strop until you get cramps in your hand. I think that chip is bit too large to clear.

I was able to pick an old stropping device off of eBay last week. Should arrive this week. Yes, why? Can't pass up a deal$3~! [attachment=9721]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393253848.223475.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393253848.223475.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom