Rooney Style 1 Medium Finest

Just in case anyone gets the impression that I am impressed with all my purchases, take a look at my blog posting on this brush:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://fidosshavingbrushblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/rooney-12-finest.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://fidosshavingbrushblog.blogspot.c ... inest.html</a><!-- m -->

"overpowering smell of mothballs"

Maybe I now know where all these haute montagne/high mountain white allegedly European badger knots come from: NOS badger pelts...

Like the (almost) only legal polar bear hair available to fly tiers is sourced from old (like really old) rugs and discarded stuffed museum specimens.

JaseB said:
Interesting. For the price you stated, I would expect it to be a top peformer in all areas? Were you expecting great things from this brush fido?

The whole point of my shaving brush blog is to be able to present a collection of examples of brushes across price ranges, makers and brands. So it seemed a given to include a Rooney Finest. At the price I expected more. Other reviews claim that it is a great all round brush. To qualify for that accolade a brush should have a firm backbone and be a great face latherer - in my opinion my version of the Rooney Finest falls short of that. A great cream brush and fine if you stick to lathering paint style with to and fro strokes. But if that's what you want you don't have to pay much more than £50 to get great results.

Interesting. I have a 1/2 in super and it's an excellent face latherer. Very resilient knot. The finest is a unique bristle type, soft yet springy. Above all, it looks amazing, but is also very much overpriced.

Indeed Frederick, I find my Rooney super is a great performer with soaps and creams, bowl or face.Saying that, Hunny mentioned that his was too soft for him

This is the one reason I won’t buy a brush blind, and why after following Fido’s blog, I’ve phoned T&H pre visit to have a good look at their stock (handle within reason).

There are quite a few variables going on too. No two people will judge a brush the same, no two brushes - in this case said Rooney Style 1 med finest will be the same. Well, from the same batch they might be. But, from year to year or if the source of bristle is different, then possibly not.

The YMMV seems highest with brushes & blades too.

Boab said:
Indeed Frederick, I find my Rooney super is a great performer with soaps and creams, bowl or face.Saying that, Hunny mentioned that his was too soft for him

That depends very much on the type and size of Rooney Super as well: a number 1 is always much better with hard soap than the larger (2&3) sizes of types 2 and 3. Even a 3/1 and a 3/2 in super are galaxies apart: 3/1 is stiff and scrubby, my 3/2 is softer than the fluffiest Kent or EJ. :geek:

I had three 3/1 Supers and they were all different, the last one having a 55mm loft! :shock:

So, reviews of a model of brush must be taken with a pinch of salt. They'll give you a rough idea, but you must be aware of sample variations.

Boab said:

Boab, what size is your Rooney Super? Thanks

fozz77 said:
There are quite a few variables going on too. No two people will judge a brush the same, no two brushes - in this case said Rooney Style 1 med finest will be the same. Well, from the same batch they might be. But, from year to year or if the source of bristle is different, then possibly not.

The YMMV seems highest with brushes & blades too.

Indeed, with brushes generally being "natural" I'm well aware that even 2 brushes of same brand aren't alike for it could be different worker, different batch of knots, different day...Varying loft settings, brush density. Furthermore, there are varying beard types, skin sensitivity, expectations, lathering skills, lather style ( bowl/mug latherer, face latherer, paint latherer ) can vary significantly from one shaver to another. For that reason it will not perform the same. People have different perceptions.

jhclare said:
I had three 3/1 Supers and they were all different, the last one having a 55mm loft! :shock:

So, reviews of a model of brush must be taken with a pinch of salt. They'll give you a rough idea, but you must be aware of sample variations.

John,

I reckon that was supposed to be a good thing but then I re-checked Vintage's site and it's supposed to be:

Overall brush height: 86mm
Handle height: 42mm
Brush Loft: 44mm
Knot diameter: 22mm

I think it best to call whatever vendor you're dealing with and ask them to kindly run their fingers gently over the loft. I know at times it's precarious for you don't know if it's really telling until the brush is wet. Although Vulfix 2273 Super I have is more springy compared to Omega 599 Silver. The latter isn't flaccid by any means just lack a stiff shaft. There one can get somewhat an idea perhaps its not applicable with all badgers.

BTW John do you still have them? I remember you sold nearly all your brushes. Thanks

I recently aquired one of these. While it is not portraying its potential yet, I have to say that I have not experienced a brush with such soft tips that has as much resilience in the bristle. It is really quite dense to boot. I am not here to say it is better than this or that. I will say that it masters anything that I have in my arsenal very well. I like it.

dsc1107.jpg

fozz77 said:
I recently aquired one of these. While it is not portraying its potential yet, I have to say that I have not experienced a brush with such soft tips that has as much resilience in the bristle. It is really quite dense to boot. I am not here to say it is better than this or that. I will say that it masters anything that I have in my arsenal very well. I like it.

dsc1107.jpg
The Rooney is a great looking brush,but the Rudy Vey custom brush its simply SUPERB!How would you compare shavemac finest with the Rooney finest?

Rereading this thread, two points. First, how right John is to remind us that there can be significant variations in the same model of brush. For some reason, my Rooney Finest does seem floppier than most of the 1/2 models I have read about. Secondly, I have grown to like the brush more. And after considerable practice it does face lather well.

But the fact remains that these brushes were sold at a very high price. Because enough characters like me still bought them! Not any more. I'm a little more streetwise now.

Back
Top Bottom