Royal mail to stop shipping blades from april

Came across this when making up a parcel today. I know that there was an age restriction on blades sent in the post for a while and eBay recently stopped selling razor blades completely.

Now it seems royal mail won't ship them at all from April....
View attachment 116640

I knew this was coming, it seemed to only be a matter of time. I imagine some retailers may shift towards Evri, but they will probably follow suit eventually.

Think I'll need to stock up on some more blades... I do have a decent amount already but can't say I've purchased many additional blades in past year or so.... and I don't want the stocks to run low...

Hopefully other couriers will still be happy to offer deliveries on them.

So the owner of agent shave has clarified the issue - if you have a business account it appears you can still ship blades articles with age verification (as it is done just now)

If you don't have a business account, it's prohibited after April even with age verification.
So no more BST deals on blades....what a shame.
Interesting to see how they'll police it

dt0KXLj7bzwZuRQBwY.gif

My guess would be that what will happen is essentially what has happened now that they require age verification for blades... so effectively nothing.
I mean people have to tick that checkbox (or answer a certain way at a post office) that the parcel contents don't violate any laws, but nothing is physically checked. Of course that means that Royal Mail has no liability should something untoward happen down the line, and whoever is sending blades without age verification is (technically) breaking that law.
So far none of the online stores I ordered from recently (I think it's three altogether, all UK based) sent blades with age verification - and I am grateful, since it saves me money.

The 2019 act refers to the Criminal Justice Act 1988.
Razor blades are exempt from Criminal Justice Act 1988, as they are less than 3" in length. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpg...s-with-blades-or-points-and-offensive-weapons
The exception is specifically for items like razor blades, which can be evidenced by looking at the pre legislation debate on Hansard.
I'm not sure this is correct - please see this excerpt from offensive weapons 2019 act:

IMG_5034.jpeg

Essentially royal mail don't want to fall foul of the act by facilitating the provision of prohibited blades articles to under 18s only cartridge razors are exempt.

Guess it's easier to shift the blame onto business account holders than a random person turning up at a post office.

Offensive weapons act 2019

Back
Top Bottom