Running

Haha, I was in the passenger seat of my car, and that's a hanging thing the airport parking at gatwick left on my mirror. I just shoved it in the door pocket.

Thanks :). Strangely enough it's really gone down quickly. I ran the same route again today, only I did it twice as it's sort of a circuit and managed to stay on my feet!

SmallBeard said:
Morning all,

Myself and my girlfriend are running a 5km 'Fun Run' in September for charity. Myself running for Orchid, the male cancer charity, and SWMBO is running in support of pancreatic and bowel cancer.

Having played rugby up until a couple of years ago, I don't think it's going to be a problem for me, well I've just got back from a 5.59km run in not a bad time if I do say so myself. However, SWMBO hasn't done any sort of training or exercise since when we were at school, 5 years ago.

Can anyone give me any tips and pointers on how we should train? How far/how often a week? I know it's only 5km but it's a start, and we both want to be able to run it without stopping/walking.

My approach is just run until I can't anymore, and having played rugby for a long time, training 2-3 times weekly, and playing on Sundays, am used to pushing myself. The girlfriend though really hasn't done much, so what's the best approach to get in shape and conquer this? I don't think she will respond well to my approach!

Many thanks,

Alex

Hi Alex,

I ran a Half for Orchid last year and raised a decent amount.

Anyway for GF I would suggest a slow start, the difficult bit is getting out there and getting into a routine. I would also suggest doing measured runs and timing them - improvements always provide motivation. Also taking part in other events - and here I am thinking about ParkRun (google it, it's a free timed 5k run that starts at 9am every Saturday morning at hundreds of locations around the country). Again, it's a different motivation, keeps things fresh and provides a measurement in terms of times.

Three / four times a week should be sufficient to provide a good structured traininbg plan, with one of those been a gentle run. Also important to make sure she eats properly and takes on plenty of fluid even prior to training runs. Nothing promotes tiredness more than dehydration or incorrect fuelling. When I'm training for a run I always try to have porridge for breakfast, simple healthy lunch (rice cakes, hummous, carrot, cottage cheese) with a mid afternoon snack of a good quality flapjack or similar.

Enjoy....

What's your target time by the way?

Jon

Alex,5km, what's that in "old money" about 3 miles? I WALK about 5 miles every day as part of my fitness regime,don't worry if "your lass" has to stop part of the way,just go into a brisk to moderate walk,it should only take you about 40 minutes or so even walking the WHOLE way.
Enjoy it,but ONE thing I have noticed on my walks,when MEN walk together we just often do it in silence,WOMEN on the other hand NEVER STOP TALKING.
Enjoy the day, ALL for GOOD CAUSES.

Sam.

Thanks all.

Erm, as for target time, I haven't really thought about it that much. I can run alone 5km in what's pretty close to 26-27 minutes, which for a fat git like me I'm quite happy with.

Together, I'd like to finish in under 40, but I honestly have no idea. I'll push myself, and my girlfriend, as hard as I can. The strange thing with me is I don't like running, until I'm actually doing it. Getting motivated to run I find difficult, but once I start running I like to just keep on going, and really enjoy myself then. Whatever the time I do it in I'll just be glad that it will be raising money for a very worthwhile cause.

Update: Now lost 16.5kg, walked just under 1200km, burned off an estimated 127,000 calories (which is 235 boxes of McVities Jaffa Cakes)

Average pace (measured monthly) has improved markedly too:

June 11:53/km
July 11:20/km
August 10:14/km
September 09:04/km
October 08:21/km (Includes a 7:43/km rocket walk...)

hunnymonster said:
Update: Now lost 16.5kg, walked just under 1200km, burned off an estimated 127,000 calories (which is 235 boxes of McVities Jaffa Cakes)

Well done that's impressive.

Well, I'm inspired by this thread, and in particular Hunny's walking. I'm sure running's great, indeed in my youth, I even had a taste of those endorphin things. But it has to be said, that everyone I've ever known who is serious about running or other forms of hard training, seem to be constantly afflicted with injuries. So I'm all for walking, which in most cases, uneven paving not withstanding, doesn't cause problems like my next door neighbor's Achilles's tendon operation etc.
I live about 1.5 km from the post office, where I go every day. I really should walk it, and it probably wouldn't even take much extra time, by the time you sit in traffic, park etc.
So the plan for tomorrow is to drive and time it....................

Need to lose a bit of weight and get fit again so I have just started running again. Over the last 5 weeks Ive been running 3 times a week and trying to a route of around 5 miles or so.

A great way to start or for anybody who want's to improve on your 5k's I cant recommend Parkrun highly enough.

Basically there run every Saturday morning all over the country and are totally free.
You just need to register and print off your bar code, Find the nearest run to where you live and turn up for a 9am start.

Once you have finished they scan you bar code and send you an email in the afternoon with your finishing time it's then up to you to turn up next week or whenever and try and beat it. Your be amazed how quickly your times improve and you set your self a new PB.

Check it out they really are worth getting up early on a Saturday morning for http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

hunnymonster said:

18kg now... October average now 8:19/km

Stick to walking far to many injuries will come your way after the age of forty if you choose running as a form of exercise, low impact I've seen quite a few athletes and runners in their early fifties having hip replacement surgery, if you are looking for high cardio vascular workout without the impact get a pushbike, I walk at least 6 miles a day everyday of my life and some weekends I put in a ten miler I try to do it in around two and a half hours that's over a fairly varied terrain and a good workout, I've maintained my weight of 11st 10lb for more than twenty five years.

Re: RE: Running

pugh-the-special-one said:
Stick to walking far to many injuries will come your way after the age of forty if you choose running as a form of exercise, low impact I've seen quite a few athletes and runners in their early fifties having hip replacement surgery, if you are looking for high cardio vascular workout without the impact get a pushbike, I walk at least 6 miles a day everyday of my life and some weekends I put in a ten miler I try to do it in around two and a half hours that's over a fairly varied terrain and a good workout, I've maintained my weight of 11st 10lb for more than twenty five years.

Why not try a spin bike for cardio?

Or if you must run go off road, less impact on your knee's

A spin bike is good, my Mrs owned a Schwinn spin bike for years we kept it in the back bedroom, but wherever you use it it's still pretty boring it's different being out in the fresh air riding a bike and you cannot really replicate the true feeling of a changing terrain and landscape.

Back
Top Bottom