S.O.T.D. Saturday 13th May to Friday 19th May 2017

ATT SE1 Kronos
Schick Proline (3)
Semogue 1470
Stirling Coniferous
Thayers cucumber , Aloe Vera Gel
Pitralon classic A/S
View attachment 25352
Not a good shave, the culprit being the proline blade, this was my third shave with this blade.The first shave was good but was left with some redness/burn on my neck the second and today's shave wasn't good, with the alum block needed to stem the flow of blood from a few nicks and weepers around the mouth and neck area + my neck now has razor rash ( not a good look )
I braved the aftershave, BLOODY HELL!!!:eek:
Maybe I was unlucky in that the first blade out the box wasn't fit for purpose.
I won't make a RASH decision and give up on them just yet.:D

ENJOY YOUR DAY FELLAS

Hi Pat,
Sad to read you not getting a long with the Proline blade.
I would suggest changing it for a fresh one and see how you get on.

I'm surprised they aren't working for you but we know some blades work for one person and don't with others.

If you still have issues with it give me a shout and I'll buy them from you. It's least I can do seen as I recommend you buy them in the first place.

Good luck.
Cheers
Rob

ATT SE1 Kronos
Schick Proline (3)
Semogue 1470
Stirling Coniferous
Thayers cucumber , Aloe Vera Gel
Pitralon classic A/S
View attachment 25352
Not a good shave, the culprit being the proline blade, this was my third shave with this blade.The first shave was good but was left with some redness/burn on my neck the second and today's shave wasn't good, with the alum block needed to stem the flow of blood from a few nicks and weepers around the mouth and neck area + my neck now has razor rash ( not a good look )
I braved the aftershave, BLOODY HELL!!!:eek:
Maybe I was unlucky in that the first blade out the box wasn't fit for purpose.
I won't make a RASH decision and give up on them just yet.:D

ENJOY YOUR DAY FELLAS

Hi Pat,

I'm surprised they aren't working for you but we know some blades work for one person and don't with others.

If you still have issues with it give me a shout and I'll buy them from you. It's least I can do seen as I recommend you buy them in the first place.

Good luck.
Cheers
Rob

Sotd - 18/5

Razor - Progress (4)
Blade - Polsilver SI - (2)
Soap - Bol A Razor
Brush - Vie Long Epsilon brown horse fan
Post - Allum and witch hazel
A/S - Lea Classic
Balm - Aloe vera gel.

Result - I really enjoyed that. Restorative shave - a full day standing in the Scottish sun. It's like your sun except smaller and better hidden. The Polsilver SI was good on its first use but was superb on the second run out. Uses two and three are generally the optimum point for me with most blades. I shall be buying some. What made this shave great and not simply good was that the Vie Long horse knot has finally condescended to be broken in properly. It's taken a while. This was a war of attrition - straight out the box it's difficult to know whether you were exfoliating or taking the top layer of your dermis off. I suspect strongly it might of been quicker to break-in an actual horse. My patience has been rewarded though. It's a big knot - I can't recall the exact size but it will only fit in my Chubb 2 holder - and is higher lofted than I'm used to. Soaked in a shot glass while I showered - then massively loaded with product. A hard soap was perfect. Imagine a 1305 Semogue on steroids. The fan knot splays and is a wall of horse - to adapt a phrase. You never lose the face feel - but now the tips are properly soft. I was enjoying face-lathering with it so much that I ended up spending far longer on the process than normal and got fantastic results from the Bol a Razor - as the kind fellow member here that introduced me to the soap said: 'full of tallowy goodness,' - what a lather, the consistency of ice cream. Job done. A splash of Lea and a spot of aloe vera. My skin feels fantastic, hydrated and bbs. A top-end shave is definitely greater than the sum of its parts. Enjoy yours. I

a4587f70123ee95d8d03d712cddea6fc.jpg

Poslano sa mog EVA-L19 koristeći Tapatalk

Morning all

Brush - Semogue 830
Soap - Star Noir
Razor - Mingshi 2000S
Blade - Astra SP (1)

I am a huge fan of the Merkur Futur and it is my daily driver. I love the weight, the feel and its performance. After reading, and commenting, on the Chinese Futur Clone (it is not a clone it is a copy!) thread, I had a moment of weakness and bought a Mingshi 2000S.

I wanted to hate it, I wanted to trash it, I so wanted to say how much of a complete piece of junk it is. But I can't. It is a fantastic little razor. It is certainly more mild (I needed to up the blade gap by a level) but it is very well balanced and provided me with a 3-pass, super smooth shave, completely irritation free and I felt confident that it was not going to rip my face to shreds.

I was worried about a little bit of lateral movement in the base plate but it proved unfounded. The base plate does move but it takes a deliberate action to do it and the blade sat perfectly square and even.

I am struggling to find fault with it and I can see it being my daily driver with my Futur used as my weekend special. I am a brand snob, but one that has been won over by this cheap knock off.

Morning all

Brush - Semogue 830
Soap - Star Noir
Razor - Mingshi 2000S
Blade - Astra SP (1)

I am a huge fan of the Merkur Futur and it is my daily driver. I love the weight, the feel and its performance. After reading, and commenting, on the Chinese Futur Clone (it is not a clone it is a copy!) thread, I had a moment of weakness and bought a Mingshi 2000S.

I wanted to hate it, I wanted to trash it, I so wanted to say how much of a complete piece of junk it is. But I can't. It is a fantastic little razor. It is certainly more mild (I needed to up the blade gap by a level) but it is very well balanced and provided me with a 3-pass, super smooth shave, completely irritation free and I felt confident that it was not going to rip my face to shreds.

I was worried about a little bit of lateral movement in the base plate but it proved unfounded. The base plate does move but it takes a deliberate action to do it and the blade sat perfectly square and even.

I am struggling to find fault with it and I can see it being my daily driver with my Futur used as my weekend special. I am a brand snob, but one that has been won over by this cheap knock off.
Can you identify difference between the Futur and the Ming Shi? I assume that your characterization of the Ming being certainly milder is merely a calibration issue, only because I can't imagine why Ming Shi would go to the trouble to make design changes other than materials to reduce cost.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Morning all

Brush - Semogue 830
Soap - Star Noir
Razor - Mingshi 2000S
Blade - Astra SP (1)

We've now heard it from an avid fan! :D My purchasing two wasn't entirely a wrong move then! :D

Nice little write up about it, by the way :)

Can you identify difference between the Futur and the Ming Shi? I assume that your characterization of the Ming being certainly milder is merely a calibration issue, only because I can't imagine why Ming Shi would go to the trouble to make design changes other than materials to reduce cost.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

No idea why is it more mild, but i used exactly the same soap and blade as I did yesterday and the same pre-shave routine and the Mingshi felt much more mild. I am guessing that the difference in weight (Futur 120g, Mingshi 99g) make a bit of a difference.

Last night's shave....

Prep: Hot shower and Nivea Face wash
Razor: Guerrilla
Razor Blade: Feather
Brush: Elite Manchurian
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Manna Di Sicilla

Tried the Guerrilla with the Feather blade, very kindly sent to me by @Acer89 AKA James ‘The Don'. The best shave I've had so far and no issues with the blade. Unfortunately I'm still not satisfied with the end results.

image.jpg SOTD 19th May

Pre....Shower -BBA Shave oil
Razor....Schick E2 1935-45
Blade....Schick #2
Soap....Klar Lemongrass
Brush....Brad Sears. Gonzo
Post.....BBA post shave balm
EDT....Club de nuit by Armaf

As always with the E2, a wonderfully close shave, left as smooth as a billiard ball, the lemongrass scent from the Klar soap was lush and the BBA post shave balm is fab, leaving my skin feeling great....I highly recommend . Finnished of with a good spray of Club de nuit intense man, a fabulous scent imo.

Have a great day, the weekend is almost here........:)

Last edited:
Hi Pat,

Good luck.
Cheers
Rob

Hello Rob, thanks for the kind offer to buy the blades from me.I said the same thing in my post that you have suggested in that it might have been a duff blade . There's also the chance that I could have been a bit heavy handed especially when trying out a new blade.
I'll try a fresh blade when I give them another go as I'm not ready to give up on them just yet.

Thanks again for the kind offer, it's very much appreciated
I'll tell you what, if the proline are not for me I'll post them to you free of charge.;)

Back
Top Bottom