S.o.t.D Saturday 14th June - Friday 20th June

Cold water splash
Haslinger Schafmilch
M&F Blonde Badger
ATT M2 Kronos
Voskhod (2), Perma-Sharp Super (1)
MÜHLE Sea Buckthorn ASB

Voskhod started letting me down early in the shave, so switched to Perma-Sharp with much better result. Tried a sample of MÜHLE Sea Buckthorn ASB I was sent. Not a bad balm but awfully sweet scent. I smell like a tropical fruit bowl now :D Oh well, I guess it's appropriate for watching the England game from Manaus later...

Have a great evening everyone.

Saturday shave (no rush)
Pre: Proraso green pre-shave cream
Soap: Stirling "Margaritas in the Arctic"
Brush: M&F L7 Coral 2-band
Razor 1: J.A. Henckels "415" (Father's razor)
Razor 2: Cobra Classic
Blade: Feather ProGuard (3)
Post: Thayer's Lemon witch hazel, followed by Myrsol Agua Balsamica

An easy, cool & refreshing shave. 1 WTG pass with the 415, then 1 XTG pass with the Cobra. Wonderful.
IMG_20140614_155152.jpg

IMG_6292.JPG

Bulldog Face Wash
Bulldog Shave Gel
Golf [GDR] - Gillette Super Thin (Vintage) [3]
Hot Rinse & Cold Rinse
Pinaud Clubman Aftershave Lotion

Two Pass - WTG & Pinched XTG

So, what is that curious contraption that I've laid before you?

It's a Golf. Waits carried an entry for Golf being a German manufacturer out of Leipzig and Berlin during the 1920s and 1930s. The logo on this razor is the same, so I can only presume it to be the same company ... but there was a war in between and I think the brand went over to the Communists, who brought colour to the drabness with this curious single (exposed) edge shaver.

Is it an SE? Is it a DE?

Dropping this vintage Gillette Super Thin in for a third time and using a transparent, brushless gel I could clearly see it was doing a great job. Good choice on the blade, since like the GEM Contour that it resembles and mild razors, like the Gillette Tech, it sings with a sharp blade.

The razor itself tamed the blade and I could press quite hard to get a super-smooth shave. Once with the grain and once with what I call a "pinched" cross the grain pass - working from the outside of my face in, incorporating an against the grain shave up my neck and over my chin. Two passes.

In all, a smooth shave. I could not help thinking I was shaving with a child's toy given the looks, but the build quality is actually quite good. Stainless steel on top, quality, heavy plastic handle and heavy metal click/release mechanism behind.

I took a gamble and it paid off ...

It's a keeper!

Razor: Max Sprecher 10/8
Brush: Mr.M Aluminum/Copper 24mm Silvertip
Soap: RazoRock Classic
AS: JPG

Saturday Shave with one of the Sprecher's. Great Shave. Todays BBQ dinner With a bottle of my favorit Amarone.

DSC02834_zps65feb611.jpg

dodgy said:
After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Plisson badger
'Webly'/Filomatic Titanio (NOS)
The Soap Opera Himalaya SS
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Ungaro2 EdT (vintage juice with lots`of civet)

Same razor/blade combo these last three days. The first time, I underestimated how sharp these old blades are and got a few vampire butterfly kisses on my neck (these leave tiny red spots) as a result. Last two shaves I have been more attentive and everything's fine. I wouldn't rate it as an especially forgiving blade, maybe a little bit more than a Feather would be. The Good Doctor nailed me pretty well this time.....gotta love a snake oil salesman with nice stuff. Thanks for the new little addition to the Dodgy Congress of chattering monkeys.

These are one interesting blade. Really smooth, maybe because of how sharp they are or the coating or both or none of the above. Doesn't matter........these are really nice blades. They remind me of a Personna74 performance wise, although no idea how many shaves the Titanio will provide. Pretty surprising old Spanish blade.

It's rare having this EdT call to me, but today I knew right away it was time for a spritz or two. Unique frag that causes all the cats in the neighborhood to follow me around. Nice NOS estate sale find from years ago.

BBS results,

Martin

Glad you are enjoying the blades. Unfortunately I could only get five boxes, and I now only have one, plus two blades more.
And the two blades box that come in the box of the NOS razor, too http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-26402-post-367868.html#pid367868

Watch here [video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLazI4gu0Ik[/video]

english fat handled tech
english wilkinson sword
simpsons berkeley best
floris elite shaving soap
boots no7 post shave balm
trumpers marlborough cologne

a very good and a very english shave in anticipation of tonight.

Greetings

Sunday 15th June 2014
Prep: Shower
Razor: Gillette 'Old' Mayfair Set
Blade: Treet 'Black Beauty' Carbon
Brush: Omega 39 Boar
Soap: Speick Stick Grated
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)
EDT: Terre D' Hermes

Regards
Dick.

IMG_0439.JPG

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Pensoftheforest, Rod Neep in Kenya Soapstone
Razor: Iwasaki + GEM for the doom
Soap: Jabonman, Mountain
AS: Mennen SB
Result: Very, very clean indeed :D

Prep: Hot Water
Soap: Dr Harris Marlborough
Brush: Simpson M7 Briar 2 band in Silvertip
Razor: Fontana Our Best 37 6/8
Moustache Razor : The Mab Dwarf Razor
AS: Dr Harris Marlborough

image.php

image.php

Razor Vintage Japanese Three Kings full hollow 13/16
Strop Kanayama Cordovan #8000
Brush Bill Jack Le Tuft Blue 8
Soap Boellis Panama 1924
Witch Hazel
L'Occitane Baux Aftershave Balm
L'Occitane Ambre & Santal Edt.​

Holiday Shave & Father's Day Treat in downtown Fethiye

collage_20140615120041675_zpst6r9pn3c.jpg

It isn't as close as I routinely achieve but it is very nice. And preceded, as it was, by a Turkish bath mornings are rarely any better.

All the best gents

Jon

Musgo glyce lime soap.
Muhle Silverfibre shaving brush
Cyril Salter Indian Sandalwood shaving cream.
Muhle R89 razor with Personna red #3.
Floid the genuine ASL
Geoffrey Beene Grey flannel EDT.

Happy Father's Day.

Prep: Village Barber Oil
Brush: NF Tubby 1
Soap: Stirling Orange Chill
Razor: Weber DLC/UFO Goliath XL Red Bronze

A refreshing shave after a 5k run. The splash brought tears to my eyes a very cold splash indeed.

Back
Top Bottom