Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Polsilver SI (1)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave cream: Endymion
Aftershave: M&S Amber

A close and clean shave.

Test shave for these two

WDN Hamburg Ring Extra Hollow Ground 13/16
Entierement Fait a La Main (entirely handmade) 6/8. Uneven grind so a pain to hone for a beginner.
Nanny's ice and a slice with goats milk
New long handled brush from ebay, unknown make

imagejpg1_zpsb28426ba.jpg
[/align]

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

Ever Ready amber handle badger
1934 Type Aristocrat/Personna Super Platinum Chrome (NOS)
Xpec unscented SC flavored with Creed Royal Oud EdP and TGQ 'Leatherneck' extrait
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Givenchy 'Xeryus' EdT (vintage juice black bottle)

Last three shaves before today was using a 1958 Executive paired with a very nice vintage Spanish blade. Don't get much better than this combo. Hah, only thing is now the smaller handle doesn't appeal to me so much. Yeah, a longer handle can sometimes be better on some razors, since I tend to choke up a bit. Nicer having my hand farther away from the head.

This Aristo is just about the only open comb type in the arsenal that I ever use. Lucky this one fits me. One of the, no actually maybe THE classiest looking US made OC razor. I can't think of another American razor with teeth that has the same handle design, except for the Bulldog. Those two are almost equally wonderful looking. Closest after those would be the Popular, but they are UK made and are built a bit differently. Plus, the 1934 type has no end caps, which is my preference looks wise over a razor with caps.

Anyway, its rare finding one of these with the head having all the gold. Very thin plating that often just kinda loses it's shine after a while. The handle is often ok though for some reason.This one's in very good shape and today it called to me.

Very mild for an open comb. Not quite as much pushing the envelope as usual, but nothing to worry about and easy to waltz around my face. This old blade is pretty darn sharp I gotta say.

Left my face smoother than usual and looking forward to using this set up a bunch more. Nice having this one as an option. Yeah, dat's an option!

All done with this small batch of unscented Xpec....got maybe 10 shaves which was fine. Now I am thinking of adding either vintage Old Spice or vintage Xeryus EdT to the next amount. Performs like the scented.

BBS results,

Martin

Merkur 37c
Polsilver si 7
Nf 2213
Cella
Bond fresh a/s
S8 balm

The blade continues to give a smooth shave. This is why i love the si, it refuses to blunt!

muhle r89
silver star
noxzema pre
muhle silvertip fibre
czech and speake no88 shaving soap
weleda AS balm
trumpers spanish leather cologne

first time in ages ive used my r89. ill have to use it more often, a very nice shave.

Pre: Proraso green pre-shave cream
Soap: NSS "Dragon's Blood"
Brush: Dymondwood 23mm TGN synthetic
Razor 1: ERN 1934
Razor 2: Merkur Futur (2)
Blade: Vintage Astra SP (3)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel, followed by Fine Fresh Vetiver

First shave with the ERN after I restored it and honed it myself. Sadly, the edge was NOT shave ready so I switched to the Futur for the remainder of the shave. I'm really liking these vintage Astras (made in Czech republic).
3-pass BBS with SWMBO's favorite Fine ASL.
IMG_20140816_163323.jpg

Hishakaku straight razor
Proraso pre
Unmarked cream
NF Tubby 2
Evin lemon cologne
Yilday tobacco cologne (this stuff is incredible, violets and talc on dry down)
Great shave.
[attachment=11453]

The grapes were the gf idea

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1408218198230.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408218198230.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 24
IMG_6514.JPG

Billy Jealousy White Knight Daily Facial Cleanser
Tabac Shaving Soap
Kent Infinity Silvertex
British Bakelite Razor
PermaSharp Super [2]
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Witch Hazel Splash
Tabac Aftershave Lotion
Tabac Eau De Cologne

Face Lathered
Two Pass - WTG & XTG

I like razors with a large blade gap. I like that gap to be more than one millimetre! I like adjustable razors on wide open. I like Frankenrazors that give a huge gap.

This razor was a curious purchase. I've no idea who made it, when it was made or any other details about it - I have scoured the usual sourced, but come up empty. It's a bakelite razor in a bakelike or melamine box. The box is just too long for bakelike Gillettes, regular Gillettes and so on ... custom sized for this razor?

Upon loading a blade, the gap was evident - a yawning millimetre, or so. There was also a slight, barely noticeable, but slight bias on the presentation side to side. Great! I love it when razors do this because I have one side for the first pass and one for the second - the greater presentation for that first clearing and the lighter for the second pick-up pass.

The PermaSharp really came into its own in this razor and raised my opinion of the blade considerably.

First pass was good enough. Barely skimming and leaving this blade, unrestrained to do its thing ... it did. I made a second pass to pull a baby smooth shave.

Strong!

SOTD_SAT_1.jpg

SOTD Saturday 16th August 2014

Pre:Shave: I Coloniali
Soap: Omega
Brush: Omega 620
Razor: CJB Custom Scales
Razor 2: Braveheart Custom Handle
Blade: 7 O'Clock
A/S: Hugo Boss

Dove face scrub
Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime shaving cream
Edwin Jagger Chatsworth ebony synthetic bristle shaving brush
Gillette Goal blade
Murker 25c open comb
Bulldog ASB.

Quite a lot of feedback during the shave, but pretty smooth and not too aggressive. Yesterday was my first shave with the Goal blade in the 25c OC, and it was a bit draggy. Normally the razor just whistles through the stubble, but I find Goal blades are not that good anyway.

Sapone : Dr Harris Arlington Limited Edition
Pennello : Simpson Polo PL8 2 band in Super
Rasoio : Fontana 37 Our Best 6/8
AS : Dr Harris Arlington

image.php

image.php

Prep- Hot towel
Soap- Stirling Rose
Brush- Men-U
Razor- Valet VC2
Blade- Feather [2]
Post- alum, Trumpers Coral Skin Food

Produced a excellent lather using my synthetic brush and Marco Method, three pass shave cleared away three days of growth leaving BBS result. :icon_razz:

SOTD 17th August 2014

PreShave: I Coloniali
Soap: Truefitt & Hill
Brush: Omega 620
Razor: CJB Custom Scales
Blade: Feather Pro
Post Shave: Alum Block
Post Shave 2: I Coloniali Facial and Aftershave Balm
A/S: Aqua Velva

[attachment=11456]
hot shower
Lube face with Palmolive stick
User Thiers Issard hand turned brush with Proraso red. Great lather from these combined. My new 37g slant in gold (looking very sexy I must say!) With Polsilver blade. Finished with witch hazel then AS Floid - my new favourite AS!
What a shaver! Come across as very aggressive with the Polsilver blade which was fine with my 34c. Might need to try something like shark blade next. Super close and just cut through three days growth like it was not there!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1408274396319.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408274396319.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom