S.O.T.D. Saturday 18th May to Friday 24th May 2013

Musgo Real glyce classic soap
Cobra Classic / Feather Pro
Semogue SEOC 2012
Proraso White Soap (New Formula)
Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Wasn't expecting the postie to turn up with the Cobra until mid morning but he was on the doorstep when I was still in the land of nod. Time to get my shave on...

First impressions is it is very comfortable on my face for something so efficient. Its different again to anything else I've shaved with but I'm looking forward to getting to grips with it more. 2 pass shave, one weeper quickly sorted but a great start to the weekend.

Greetings

Saturday 18th May 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Gillette 'Old' Mayfair Set + 1 Shim
Blade: Treet Durasharp Carbon
Brush: Vulfix 406 Boar
Soap: Sample of Nanny's Olive Oil Marzipan
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

A truly fabulous shave on all fronts. These Pakistani carbon blades whist they have a tiny bit of tug, cut like demons and are IMHO as good as most stainless coated blades and better than many.

Very impressed with this soap of Sharon's it's very slippy and smells like Cello only a little milder, it left my face feeling very nice and it is not in the slightest bit drying.

The 'Old' shaves great as (in my opinion) they all do. Thanks to Antdad for the soap.

Regards
Dick

DSC04321.JPG

Aqueous cream
Merkur 37c slant
Personna Lab Blue
Sir 4711 shaving cream
Henk walnut silvertip
Floid Genuine a/s

Really nice. Took one pass to get a good reduction and two more to get ATG close. A few nicks round the chin and neck which I didn't feel and a bit sore in small patches.

barlines said:
[align=center]
Musgo Real glyce classic soap
Cobra Classic / Feather Pro
Semogue SEOC 2012
Proraso White Soap (New Formula)
Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Wasn't expecting the postie to turn up with the Cobra until mid morning but he was on the doorstep when I was still in the land of nod. Time to get my shave on...

First impressions is it is very comfortable on my face for something so efficient. Its different again to anything else I've shaved with but I'm looking forward to getting to grips with it more. 2 pass shave, one weeper quickly sorted but a great start to the weekend.

Welcome to the Plisskin club!

I think shaving with Cobra is a bit like shaving with a disposable. It's certainly different to a DE.

It took me a bit of getting used to but it's worth persevering. A great razor (sorry Mart).

Gillette 2-piece New
Gillette Super Thin Platinum (3)
Proraso green soap (old)
Proraso Aftershave lotion
Serge Lutens Santal Majascule

Superb. The girlfriend really likes Santal Majascule - I guess I'll have to make the sample go a long way.

Technically I'm a day late but this covers both. I will be going on holiday soon and am in the process of deciding what shaving gear to take with me.

When I saw the Ingram's tubes and it was cream of the week I decided to get some to try with the traveling in mind.

So today I used the Chinese Weishi with an Astra Superior and a cheap old W/S Brush with the Ingram's cream. The old brush does not help and it's hard work getting a good lather but using a little more product helped,
the result surprised me. Very acceptable shave I know that my technique has improved and it's not perfect but it's more than acceptable. So that looks like my travel kit sorted.

Today's Shave

imagezga.jpg

Gillette FatBoy (set on No7)
Feather Blade
Kent Bk12 Brush
Suriabchi Bowl
NSS Citrus Zinger
4711 splash

Result BSS :heart:

All the stars aligned for me with the FatBoy this morning, perfect in every way.
For once I'm speechless :icon_mrgreen:

Prep: Hot shower, hot flannel
Pre: Proraso pre-shave
Soap: Trumper's Coconut cream
Bowl: Woodhead Scuttle #1B
Brush: New Forest 2213
Razor: Merkur 37c Slant
Blade: Gillette Thin (2)
After: Superdrug Sierra AS, Coral skin food, Cade ASB

Relieved that the Ingram's week is over; I could only last 3 days.
Trumper's Coconut is my favourite cream, it ticks all the boxes and if I had to eat any cream then this one would be it.

Back to the luxury of the scuttle to try Dodgy Martin's suggestion of dissolving the cream in a little hot water, swooshing the brush around gently to soak up the proto-lather then face lathering. Works well and the scuttle keeps the brush warm between passes. Only problem for me is that the first pass uses most of the lather which tends to run out by the third. I've got to find a way of holding back the lather on the first pass.

Slant gave a very smooth baby butt result.

Have a great weekend all.

SOTD20130518_zpsfc853f0b.jpg

SATURDAY MORNING

Prep: Hot flannel
Razor: CJB Kamisori \ Cobra Classic
Blade: Feather Proguard (3) \ Feather Professional (6)
Brush: Simpsons PJ 2 band
Soap: Nannys Lavender hard soap - face lathered
EDT: Hugo Boss

Managed two WTG passes and one ATG pass with the Kamisori, then some tidying up with the Cobra. No blood and a smooth finish.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Semogue SOC
Razor: Max Sprecher, Las Vegas - the Lizzard vs the Snake
Soap/AS: Proraso
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uberclean :D

What a game, the stubbles never really had a change, plain and simple :D

fancontroller said:
Back to the luxury of the scuttle to try Dodgy Martin's suggestion of dissolving the cream in a little hot water, swooshing the brush around gently to soak up the proto-lather then face lathering. Works well and the scuttle keeps the brush warm between passes. Only problem for me is that the first pass uses most of the lather which tends to run out by the third. I've got to find a way of holding back the lather on the first pass.

Hi there,

Might I suggest giving your brush a good 10-15 seconds of some serious charging of that hot soapy water mix to work the lather in deeply.

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

Saturday 18th May 2013
Prep: Shower
Blade: Treet Durasharp Carbon
Brush: Vulfix 406 Boar
Soap: Sample of Nanny's Olive Oil Marzipan
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

A truly fabulous shave on all fronts. These Pakistani carbon blades whist they have a tiny bit of tug, cut like demons and are IMHO as good as most stainless coated blades and better than many.

Very impressed with this soap of Sharon's it's very slippy and smells like Cello only a little milder, it left my face feeling very nice and it is not in the slightest bit drying.

The 'Old' shaves great as (in my opinion) they all do. Thanks to Antdad for the soap.

Regards
Dick

DSC04321.JPG

Hello Dick,
I see I have raised your interest in the Old type razors. I'm very pleased with the shave I get from mine. Surprising as it's one of the cheapest razors I've bought.
Regards Brian

Seattle Shave / Travel Kit
Proraso pre
Omega 36
Speick Stick
Fatip Grande (1st use)
Astra SS (1)
Thayer's Original
Cade ASB
Polo Sport EDT

3 day growth mowed down easily by the Fatip. The Omega 36 works well as a travel brush. Looks like it has found its long term place in my collection.
[attachment=7296]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368885364.293766.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368885364.293766.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 27
782sirbrian said:
Norfolkdick said:

Hello Dick,
I see I have raised your interest in the Old type razors. I'm very pleased with the shave I get from mine. Surprising as it's one of the cheapest razors I've bought.
Regards Brian
Greetings

You have Brian this is the only razor and indeed the only shaving related item I have found 'in the wild', it was in a quirky little antique shop in a huge box of razors all completely rusty rotten and beyond salvation (mainly Valet Autostrops and broken Rolls Razors). I do the rounds of all my charity shops once a week or so and have never ever found a single item!

Regards
Dick

Saturday 18th May

sotd18513.jpg

Warm shower
Hot flannel
DR Harris Arlington cream scuttle lathered
Simpson POLO 8 best badger brush
Gillette Old type OC
Polsilver super iridium (3)
Cold rinse
Witch hazel
DR Harris Arlington aftershave

Clean and comfortable shave again today. A different razor and blade set up for tomorrows shave.

Brian

782sirbrian said:

Hello Dick,
Regards Brian
[/quote]

Oh, hello there fellows,

Now first let me state this is in no way an attempt to do anything other than maybe educate a few of the newer members. By far my favorite of the Old Type versions.

It's a 1919 Gillette Bulldog, which is a good description of how this bloodsu.....of how aggressive it is on my face. Silver plating and a rare US bulldog handle design.

This one musta been sold to a German market, having all German blades in the holder and the silver case says 'Made in Germany'. These old silver plated beauties can clean up amazingly well after the tarnish is easily removed.

As Brian mentioned, most Old Type versions are very reasonable for what you can get.

Here you go:

Attachments

• 1919 Bulldog 001 (Small).jpg
    1919 Bulldog 001 (Small).jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 1`919 bullfog1.jpg
    1`919 bullfog1.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom