Chinese Silvertip Fibre
De Vergulde Hand Cream
Rocnel MD SE-P-TR Open Comb
½ Astra SP #1
Rinse > Alum > Rinse
Fahrenheit A/S
Lacura Body Moisturiser
1ANlwp8.jpg

After having a lot of great shaves from my original solid bar Rocnel, I was really pleased with the first really smooth result from the open comb, making it a nice alternative that now goes into regular rotation. In fact I'm using it again next time with a different ½ blade.

Thursday 6th April 2017

SOTD 6th April .JPG

Pre Shave: Hot Shower, L'Oreal Hydra Power Face Wash and Proraso Red
Razor: Gillette Fatboy F2 Adjustable (8)
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (#3)
Brush: Semogue 610
Soap: Monsavon
AS: Lucido

Another excellent shave today from the Fatboy and the Polsilver, went down 1 to 8 to see if it might reduce the irritation I got yesterday, there was still a little irritation today but again it soon faded. Planning to try the Polsilver in my trusty Fatip Piccolo tomorrow for comparison.

Thursday 6th April
Chinese Silvertip Fibre
De Vergulde Hand Cream
Rocnel MD SE-P-TR Open Comb
½ Astra SP #1
Rinse > Alum > Rinse
Fahrenheit A/S
Lacura Body Moisturiser
1ANlwp8.jpg

After having a lot of great shaves from my original solid bar Rocnel, I was really pleased with the first really smooth result from the open comb, making it a nice alternative that now goes into regular rotation. In fact I'm using it again next time with a different ½ blade.
Arthur,
You made me think you were a bit bonkers, then remembered Hand is Gold.and you were using D V
Shaving cream. How do you find it.
Mike

61e48472048fb1449872d43eb887325d.jpg

-Brian Brown 6/8 Spike
-Stirling 24 mm Fan
-Soap Commander Passion
-Adidas Citrus

Have a great day everyone. [emoji1]
@PickledNorthern - That's a great brush. I don't know about you, but I exclusively face-lather and the knot is just perfect for that, in my experience. I find the hair isn't that soft when dry but soaked there is a really nice balance of soft tips and backbone. Good chunky M7 type handle - comfortable for big hands. It's also butterscotch - what's not to like? I.

SOTD

This is probably my 12th DE shave, still enjoying trying new stuff. This was also my 1st 3 pass Shave.

Pre shave - Hot shower
Razor - Edwin Jagger DE 3D
Blade - Gillette Nacet (2)
Brush - Edwin Jagger best badger medium
Soap - Phoenix & Beau Albion
Bowl - Chinese eBay's finest
Post Shave - Cold water, Windrose Alum block, Avon balm, Kouros, Woody's oil on the fluff under my bottom lip

View attachment 24512
Fluff? I.

@PickledNorthern - That's a great brush. I don't know about you, but I exclusively face-lather and the knot is just perfect for that, in my experience. I find the hair isn't that soft when dry but soaked there is a really nice balance of soft tips and backbone. Good chunky M7 type handle - comfortable for big hands. It's also butterscotch - what's not to like? I.

Thank you, I am quite pleased with it. The tips are gelled and very soft. It performs like a much more expensive brush than it is.

Arthur,
You made me think you were a bit bonkers, then remembered Hand is Gold.and you were using D V
Shaving cream. How do you find it.
Mike
Mike
Love 'The Guilded Hand'. I have both hard soaps which are excellent (but you already know that). The cream's scent is similar to the original soap, and lathers easily, both face and bowl. It has great slickness (a characteristic I particularly like) especially being (like the soap) a non-tallow product.

Thursday 6th April 2017

View attachment 24513

Pre Shave: Hot Shower, L'Oreal Hydra Power Face Wash and Proraso Red
Razor: Gillette Fatboy F2 Adjustable (8)
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (#3)
Brush: Semogue 610
Soap: Monsavon
AS: Lucido

Another excellent shave today from the Fatboy and the Polsilver, went down 1 to 8 to see if it might reduce the irritation I got yesterday, there was still a little irritation today but again it soon faded. Planning to try the Polsilver in my trusty Fatip Piccolo tomorrow for comparison.
@Bizzyberry - my experience with adjustables went as follows - I have two - first a Progress and then some years later a Slim. With both razors I tended to set them quite high initially (Spinal Tap moment - it goes up to 11. It's one more) - 4 or above with the Progress and 6 onwards with the Slim - just because I could. I recognise the description of the irritation you mention. My break-through with using an adjustable was to select the middle of the range - if not a notch lower - and see what happens. It was a revelation for me. The Slim is now normally used on 4 unless I'm taking off a week's growth and I get no irritation from either razor on middling settings. Obviously - entirely depends on your beard type. I have no idea of your prior experiences with adjustables and apologise if you know this already. I.

Last edited:

Evening Gents,
Went with the 0.68 OC and Astra blade. The combination was better than my last outing, which isn't saying much.

The shave wasn't as uncomfortable as last time but I still struggled going against the grain.
I'm massively dissapointed with this razor. Luckily for me it hasn't been a costly mistake.

A big thank you to @Lann AKA Paul for the loan of the razor, you are a gent. You have saved me a lot of cash.

Cheers
Rob

Evening Gents,
Went with the 0.68 OC and Astra blade. The combination was better than my last outing, which isn't saying much.

The shave wasn't as uncomfortable as last time but I still struggled going against the grain.
I'm massively dissapointed with this razor. Luckily for me it hasn't been a costly mistake.

A big thank you to @Lann AKA Paul for the loan of the razor, you are a gent. You have saved me a lot of cash.

Cheers
Rob
@Blackmass - on the other hand mate - you can take solace from a magnificent looking Simpsons' badger. Captain? I.

@Bizzyberry - my experience with adjustables went as follows - I have two - first a Progress and then some years later a Slim. With both razors I tended to set them quite high initially (Spinal Tap moment - it goes up to 11. It's one more) - 4 or above with the Progress and 6 onwards with the Slim - just because I could. I recognise the description of the irritation you mention. My break-through with using an adjustable was to select the middle of the range - if not a notch lower - and see what happens. It was a revelation for me. The Slim is now normally used on 4 unless I'm taking off a week's growth and I get no irritation from either razor on middling settings. Obviously - entirely depends on your beard type. I have no idea of your prior experiences with adjustables and apologise if you know this already. I.
@Digimonkey Thanks for the feedback, I have a Slim which the previous owner said set it on 5 and I have to say it worked well and I usually just stick with it on that setting, since getting the Fatboy back I thought I would see what it was like at the extremes. (I like the Spinal Tap quote - one of my favourite films).

I think I prefer the Slim to the Fatboy, I also have a Wizamet W-11 and that one really does go to 11! Not on the dial but on the feel, it only needs to be used on 3 or even 2 to shave like the Slim. Keeping with the Spinal Tap theme, I find the Fatboy gives more audio feedback than the Slim and the Wizamet is even louder than the Fatboy.

Back
Top Bottom