S.O.T.D. Saturday 1st April to Friday 7th April 2017

Somebody said patent anniversary so double Shovel it is. The Gem bladed (third use) razor gave up the ghost mid head shave, switching to the Permasharp equipped '24 was a great relief. Dolphin Town.
71ee62a6ebc29a1a01d7b1305441b99b.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Prep: Saponificio Varesino Preshave
Bowl: Fine
Brush: Saponificio Varesino 2.0
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina
Razor: Barbaros & Rocnel Adjustable
Blade: Ladas
AS: Floid Blue
AS: Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina
A124ADF4-0D80-4F89-8CA8-7E2DAA90E62B_zps2omgf942.jpg

Best Regards
Marco

Greetings

Saturday 1st April 2017
Prep: Shower
Razor: Kampfe Bros. Star Lather Catcher
Blade: Kampfe Bros. Star
Brush: Vulfix / L'Occitane Plisson
Soap: Vitos Extra Super
Aftershave: Astral Cream (soft)
EDT.: Pal Zileri Cuoio

I purchased this old lather catcher several years ago but I have only ever had one joint of the two joint handle that goes with it and no blade holder for stropping. I have kept a look out for another joint but have never found one in all those years, it is possible to shave with the one joint but it makes the handle only about an inch and a half long. Problem solved, the handle from my GEM Junior Bar has the same coarse thread.

I have to say that this is not a very nice shaving razor at all, it only has a fairly small blade gap but the blade protrudes to the end of the comb making it very (and unnecessarily) aggressive, it gives a close but fierce and unpleasant shave; not a face friendly razor by any standards and certainly not in my top ten razors. These old Kampfe blades are relatively soft steel and hone to a lovely gentle forgiving edge when used in my other razors so it's nothing to do with the blade.

Regards
Dick.

View attachment 24426
Glad you got around to using it, not such a good result with the shave!

Sun 2nd April
Omega s10065 Synthetic
Haslinger Honig
General + S/S handle
Feather Pro [ 8 ]
Alum Rub/Rinse off
Tabac A/S Lotion

Results as expected a good smooth/close Shave, with a great lather from the Haslinger the Feather Pro shows no sign of tail off. Surprising fact is that the finished shave is only marginally better than the one of yesterday with the
venerable ER 1924.

IMG_1221.jpg

sq329w.jpg

Brush: Omega 20102
Razor: Gillette Rocket HD w/ Astra SP (2)
Soap: Phoenix & Beau Solaris
Post: Thayers Rose Witch Hazel & Acqua di Parma Fico di Amalfi

Inspired by today's sunny weather, managed to get a lot of gardening done on a lovely sunny day. Great shave, love Solaris as a scent, hope it gets a solid cologne eventually. The Astra was very good in the Rocket, must have been a duff blade on Friday.

Sun 2nd April
Omega s10065 Synthetic
Haslinger Honig
General + S/S handle
Feather Pro [ 8 ]
Alum Rub/Rinse off
Tabac A/S Lotion

Results as expected a good smooth/close Shave, with a great lather from the Haslinger the Feather Pro shows no sign of tail off. Surprising fact is that the finished shave is only marginally better than the one of yesterday with the
venerable ER 1924.

View attachment 24448
Is that a windrose handle Mike? I bought one that looks the same but mine is brass with a colour coating, goes very well with my claymore head.

Prep: Hot shower, L'Oreal charcoal face wash and Wickhams Magnum bath soap
Pre: King of shaves oil
Razor: Timeless 0.95 OC with a ATT Kronos
Razor blade: Gillette Yellow (2)
Brush: shavemac unique knot
Bowl: Little Wren Pottery
Soap: Saponifico Varesino Stella Alpina
Post: Thayers witch hazel and Dove sensitive aftershave balm.

Good evening gents,

Second outing of the Timeless generously on loan from @Lann this time with the 0.95 OC base plate.

Did it improve on the 0.68? Well the simple answer is yes. I found it smoother and more efficient. I had no irritation and a close shave. I will need a few more shaves to improve my technique and evaluate whether or not I would buy one.
The funny thing is I'm not blown away with it. Don't get me wrong I really like it but I don't know how I would have felt if I'd paid £200 + for it. Would my feels and first impressions be different? Would I be raving about it to justify the cost to myself and others?
It's early days and I'll see how the next few shaves go. I'll try the ATT Atlas handle and a different blade next.

Any suggestions for the next blade I should use?

Onto the Wickhams bath soap. Really liked it and the scent is lovely. @Fox

Of all the Saponifico Varesino soaps I own (I have all of them apart from Cosmo) the Stella Alpina is probably my favorite. The performance is just excellent. Highly recommended.

The shavemac was a pleasure to use too.

Thanks again to Paul for sending the Timeless. I really do appreciate it.

Have a good evening.

Cheers
Rob

Prep: Hot shower, L'Oreal charcoal face wash and Wickhams Magnum bath soap
Pre: King of shaves oil
Razor: Timeless 0.95 OC with a ATT Kronos
Razor blade: Gillette Yellow (2)
Brush: shavemac unique knot
Bowl: Little Wren Pottery
Soap: Saponifico Varesino Stella Alpina
Post: Thayers witch hazel and Dove sensitive aftershave balm.

Good evening gents,

Second outing of the Timeless generously on loan from @Lann this time with the 0.95 OC base plate.

Did it improve on the 0.68? Well the simple answer is yes. I found it smoother and more efficient. I had no irritation and a close shave. I will need a few more shaves to improve my technique and evaluate whether or not I would buy one.
The funny thing is I'm not blown away with it. Don't get me wrong I really like it but I don't know how I would have felt if I'd paid £200 + for it. Would my feels and first impressions be different? Would I be raving about it to justify the cost to myself and others?
It's early days and I'll see how the next few shaves go. I'll try the ATT Atlas handle and a different blade next.

Any suggestions for the next blade I should use?

Onto the Wickhams bath soap. Really liked it and the scent is lovely. @Fox

Of all the Saponifico Varesino soaps I own (I have all of them apart from Cosmo) the Stella Alpina is probably my favorite. The performance is just excellent. Highly recommended.

The shavemac was a pleasure to use too.

Thanks again to Paul for sending the Timeless. I really do appreciate it.

Have a good evening.

Cheers
Rob
It's a very good point you make there Rob, would your feels and first impressios be different had you have bought it in order to justify the cost even if it was just to yourself, a very good point indeed.
That is the beauty of trying before you buy I suppose. Try a Polsilver , just a thought. :)

It's a very good point you make there Rob, would your feels and first impressios be different had you have bought it in order to justify the cost even if it was just to yourself, a very good point indeed.
That is the beauty of trying before you buy I suppose. Try a Polsilver , just a thought. :)

Cheers Paul. Polsilver is now on the short list.

Hi Paul
Yes it is a Windrose. Rather a shame that ones like it are no longer available . They seem to have gone a bit more upmarket these days.
Mike
Yes I've noticed that, I have two fat windrose handles, one 16mm x 85 mm in Stainless, one the same size in coloured brass and I think they feel good to hold being thicker and because they are only 85 mm long all the extra weight is in your hand and not really effecting the razor head too much. Not a bad price ether .

Back
Top Bottom