S.O.T.D Saturday 1st July - Friday 7th July

Good Morning Paul

Virtually all the reviews/initial findings so far that I have read seem to be very positive, it would be nice to hear some comparisons with vintage SE razors especially regarding the level of aggression of the Sabre. I know you shave with and like the GEM Heavy Flat Top/G Bar what are your thoughts comparing it to that razor? I fully accept it is early days for comparisons.

Regards
Dick.
Good morning Dick.
Yes with only one shave with the sabre it is early days for making comparisons but having said that I have only used the Pal Super in the G bar twice so maybe not so difficult to make a comparison. The shaves are not dissimilar, both are mild but effective and very smooth. Blackland gave it a 5/10 for aggression and if that means mild but effective they have it right. The benefit of the sabre over thr G bar is the handle, the perfect weight and length (for me)
I've always liked the G bar and the shave it produced especially just recently when fitted with the Pal Super blade and I think the Sabre has done a good job of bringing the the G bar and other razors like it into the 21st century. Some shavers have already addressed the " short handle " issue by with the aid of a clever grub screw and fitted their own stainless handles (can not be done with the G bar or lightweight) so I can see some shavers with their vintage razors saying no thanks, not for me.....but I like it and I like that I can now use the Gem type blade in a modern stainless steel razor. :) I have a 1912 razor on its way to me now and if it leaves me as clean shaven with zero irritation as with the Sabre I shall be very happy indeed.

Last edited:
Or other more efficient razors. The Heavy Flat Top is after all just a Feather Weight in chrome clothing and not among the most efficient of the GEM/Ever Ready family. I'm not expecting MMOC or Shovelhead efficiency but I'd be very disappointed with an expensive if good looking Contour.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I only have a lightweight and a G bar with a 1912 on its way to me so I could not comment regarding it efficiency when compaired with any of the razors you mention but all I can say is my face could not be any smoother than it already is with no signs of any irritation whatsoever, so all I can say is as I found, it's mild but very effective indeed.

I only have a lightweight and a G bar with a 1912 on its way to me so I could not comment regarding it efficiency when compaired with any of the razors you mention but all I can say is my face could not be any smoother than it already is with no signs of any irritation whatsoever, so all I can say is as I found, it's mild but very effective indeed.
My only issues are with my head shave where too much buffing is required when using the milder Gem razors. They do fine with the beard for me as well.

My only issues are with my head shave where too much buffing is required when using the milder Gem razors. They do fine with the beard for me as well.

I don't shave my head so I wouldn't know if head shaves are different to a face shave and require buffing but I did not require any buffing on my face to get it as smooth as it now even as mild as it was.

Wed 5th J uly

RazoRock Syn.22mm
Lea Classic Soap
ES Claymore V1
Feather Pro [ 3 ]
Alun Rub/Rinse off
Lea Classic A/S Lotion

Am really enjoying the Claymore/Pro combination, as I have discovered that due to the head shape I can make subtle adjustments to the Shaving Angle to suit the different areas to be shaved. The Shave today was Smooth and Ultra close, without problems.

At the moment not sure whether I prefer the Claymore to The General, so need more shaves with the
latter. I certainly do not regret having acquired the Claymore, and may consider getting a V2 Head.
Whilst I enjoy reports on the New Gem Powered Razors, I am not sure if the Cost + Shipping/Tax
can be justified by their superior performance over the Vintage models.

Could well be that newcomers to the delights of using a Gem/SE S/S razor, may be tempted to
go Vintage, and buy some of my 1912s ;) .

IMG_1375.jpg

I don't shave my head so I wouldn't know if head shaves are different to a face shave and require buffing but I did not require any buffing on my face to get it as smooth as it now even as mild as it was.
Sure, it's always a YMMV situation even among head shavers. But for me, yes the requirements are very different for me...some mild razors I just love..like my Schick Krona.. just don't fit the head shaving bill for me.

Greetings All,

Wednesday shave.

One days' growth and warm shave

Preparation – showered with face washed with Clique Liquid facial soap (mild)

Pre: Prorosa Red pre-share
Soap: P&B Spitfire
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Derby Premium (1st)
Brush:RazoRock 400 Noir

Post Shave: Cold water rinse, ALUM, cold rinse, followed by Proraso aftershave lotion (red) and Nivea 2 Phase.

Bleep, bleep, bleep (please feel free to add in your own profanity), slap me sideways and call me ‘Stupid' (It burns), that must be the worse shave EVER. I thought, I would give the Derby Premium blade another outing, you know, give it the benefit of the doubt and try again. No, No, NO!!! What a mistake to make, the shave was awful and that' being polite. It started well enough with the aroma of P&B Spitfire wafting from my Razorock 400. The lather was silky and smooth and I even put more Proraso Red pre-shave on my second pass. But no, the blade was having none of it. If anyone reads comics, I think I ended up looking like Spawn. And the Alum, I had too, I had weepers and it BURNED! Not that nice tingly sensation, no the Fires from HELL BURN.

Those blades are assigned to the bin to never darken my bathroom again. That's all I will say about that. :(

I love wet shaving :cool:

Greetings All,

Wednesday shave.

Post Shave: Cold water rinse, ALUM, cold rinse, followed by Proraso aftershave lotion (red) and Nivea 2 Phase.

Bleep, bleep, bleep (please feel free to add in your own profanity), slap me sideways and call me ‘Stupid' (It burns), that must be the worse shave EVER. I thought, I would give the Derby Premium blade another outing, you know, give it the benefit of the doubt and try again. No, No, NO!!! What a mistake to make, the shave was awful and that' being polite. It started well enough with the aroma of P&B Spitfire wafting from my Razorock 400. The lather was silky and smooth and I even put more Proraso Red pre-shave on my second pass. But no, the blade was having none of it. If anyone reads comics, I think I ended up looking like Spawn. And the Alum, I had too, I had weepers and it BURNED! Not that nice tingly sensation, no the Fires from HELL BURN.

Those blades are assigned to the bin to never darken my bathroom again. That's all I will say about that. :(

So you don't like the blades then? :)

Wed 5th J uly

RazoRock Syn.22mm
Lea Classic Soap
ES Claymore V1
Feather Pro [ 3 ]
Alun Rub/Rinse off
Lea Classic A/S Lotion

Am really enjoying the Claymore/Pro combination, as I have discovered that due to the head shape I can make subtle adjustments to the Shaving Angle to suit the different areas to be shaved. The Shave today was Smooth and Ultra close, without problems.

At the moment not sure whether I prefer the Claymore to The General, so need more shaves with the
latter. I certainly do not regret having acquired the Claymore, and may consider getting a V2 Head.
Whilst I enjoy reports on the New Gem Powered Razors, I am not sure if the Cost + Shipping/Tax
can be justified by their superior performance over the Vintage models.

Could well be that newcomers to the delights of using a Gem/SE S/S razor, may be tempted to
go Vintage, and buy some of my 1912s ;) .

View attachment 26650
Nothing wrong with going vintage at all, even better when you have both and on any given day go vintage or modern, it's all good :)

Wednesday 5th July
Zenith 506U TS
De Vergulde Hand Stick
Rocnel SE-P OC
½ Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless #1
Alum Wash
Electrif's Bay Rum
Lisseáu Coconut Body Butter
soWIIdf.jpg

The Zenith synthetic is very suited to face lathering and the DVH gave a great scented slick lather.
A great shave and another blade is added to my Rocnel favoured blades.
Good shaves everyone :)

Greetings All,

Wednesday shave.

I had very similar experience this year with a Derby Extra, resulting in a rather nasty nick on the lower right-side of my bottom lip!:eek:..I changed the blade for a new one but it was still tuggy, i ended up putting in a Voskhod blade, which finished the shave off without anymore bloodsport shaving drama...Ok you expect to get the occasional nick & weeper with DE shaving,it's part of the fun, but my gut instinct told me not to use these blades again, i was going to PIF the remaining 80+blades, but i thought it would have been a insulting PIF to pass on a dangerous unpredictable pile of shite,"Sorry for the choice of words readers", you've done the right thing , by putting the rest in the Bin..Once bitten,twice shy.;)

Last edited:
I had very similar experience this year with a Derby Extra, resulting in a rather nasty nick on the lower right-side of my bottom lip!:eek:..I changed the blade for a new one but it was still tuggy, i ended up putting in a Voskhod blade, which finished the shave off without anymore bloodsport shaving drama...Ok you expect to get the occasional nick & weeper with DE shaving,it's part of the fun, but my gut instinct told me not to use these blades again, i was going to PIF the remain 80+blades, but i thought it would have been a insulting PIF to pass on a dangerous unpredictable pile of shite,"Sorry for the choice of words readers", you've done the right thing , by putting the rest in the Bin..Once bitten,twice shy.;)
When I started this wet shaving-ness a couple of years ago, Derbys were included in a sample pack. Trying them nearly put me off. Mercifully, Personna Israeli Reds and Astra SPs were in the mix. Derby blades are the Devil's instrument, imo.

When I started this wet shaving-ness a couple of years ago, Derbys were included in a sample pack. Trying them nearly put me off. Mercifully, Personna Israeli Reds and Astra SPs were in the mix. Derby blades are the Devil's instrument, imo.
I bought the Derby extras.., when i started DE shaving last year,(Because of their inexpensive cost), and to be honest i had fairly good shaves with them until the experience i had with them this year...It did knock me back slightly , for a while..then i thought it could possibly have been a faulty batch, but i didn't take a chance at finding out and opening another puck..the rest are now in the DE blade graveyard among the rest of the others that have been binned for probably the same reason...I stick with blades that have gave me good results..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom