Afternoon, gents.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: Kai T-type Dispo Razor
Blade: (1)
Brush: Kabuki Bamboo
Shave soap: Arko
Aftershave: Pashana Bay Rum
Cologne: Czech & Speake Neroli

These Japanese disposable all-metal injectors are very sharp! Still, I got close to a BBS with a very careful one-pass ATG.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

BSB HMW 2 band (thank you Good Doctor)
'Kaily'/Gillette Super Stainless (NOS 1991 Argentina made)
RL Safari SS
Neutrogena oil free moisture sensitive skin (excellent bang for the buck thick soothing unscented balm)
RL 'Safari' EdT (vintage juice)

Well, a crazy good shave today using some fun stuff. My 4th time getting this brush wet and first with soaps and still getting the hang of it's charms. Not very familiar with how really nice knots work and am still tweaking things. Hah, main problem is it creates the lather too fast in the very beginning, making it tough to face lather. Yeah, it works too well (ok, I am sorta kidding). Amazing how effective it is though and feels great in my hand. The Good Doctor has come up with a very classy homage to a favorite design of many people.

This long heavy UFO handle (100mm 92g) takes that bearing down variable completely outta the mix, which is nice. The blade/head combo is excellent and the soap is a favorite.

BBS results,

Martin

Prep: Dove face scrub
Cream: Truefitt and Hill No 10
Brush: Edwin jagger Chatsworth ebony synthetic bristle
Razor: Merkur 25c open comb
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic

This is my first time using T & H No 10. Not bad, but left me just a tiny bit dry.

SOTD%25252023-05-2015.JPG

Bulldog Face Wash
Meißner Tremonia Strong & Scottish (Hard)
Muhle Silvertip Fibre
Klas Tornblom 9/16 Faux Frameback
L'Essor & GEM Stainless (6)
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Witch Hazel Toner
Brut Musk Aftershave
Aramis Havana EDT

Face Lathered
Three Pass - Klas Tornblom (WTG), L'Essor (WTG Slide) & Klas Tornblom (WTG ... just because)

In a word, about as good a shave as I've ever had.

To preamble Meißner Tremonia soaps, quite simply they are excellent: intuitive lathering, phenomenal shave performance and luxurious post-shave feel. The rest is about preference for hard soap or for soft soap, paste as Meißner Tremonia put it, and for scent, which Meißner Tremonia give us some quite unique experiences, not least coupled with the clever selection of natural clays, salts, tars and oils which remain quite untouched, not bleached or recoloured to give us a really pure product absolutely and genuinely affording of the term artisan.

Today I shaved with Strong & Scottish, the hard soap which from a cursory scan over the ingredients gains its earthiness from "whiskey" (presumably whisky) and juniperus oxycedrus wood tar, or juniper wood tar and not dissimilar to cade, which Thomas at Meißner Tremonia mixes with red clay to reinforce the earthiness resulting in a seriously heady, woody, ashy, peaty, burnt wood experience which is absolutely sublime.

I had read about this soap being the worst scented soap ever, a scent which only its mother could love and a stink of stale ashtrays, all descriptions which I won't disagree with - yes, I get the ash, yes, I get that it is really quite unusual, earthy, mucky (not necessarily dirty) and I originally described the scent as having the same polarising effect as Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal. But, this is not a Marmite soap, one which divides opinion, but rather one with draws the absolute same opinion from all and it is the response from each that is of note - whether the person is reviled or whether the person is intrigued, even exhilarated.

I am one who is exhilarated by this scent. As a sample in a plastic bag it gains the same effect as good drink in a snifter, the scent concentrated and alive for each of the constituent smells to be explored. This is not Marmite, this is oysters, this is caviar, this is that very special bottle of red wine that gives off a prolific farmyard smell upon breathing, this is Laphroaig. And on that final note, I don't think we're far from understanding the true nature of this soap - it is strong, it is peaty, it is almost medicinal. It is strong, it is Scottish. I get it.

... and there it is: Thomas is a genuis.

As a shave, lovely to fly my Klas Tornblom and my L'Essor cushioned by this very excellent soap, its wonderful scent pervading throughout; lovely to splash on the Brut Musk, rich in tobacco and very much complimenting the experience, lovely to spray on some Aramis Havana and revive the booziness.

... about as good a shave as I've ever had.

Saturday 23rd May

SOTD2023.5.15_zpsmd92pplb.jpg

Warm shower
Hot towel
Shannon's Coconut Lime bowl lathered
Finest Badger brush made by myself
Gillette NEW LC (Made in England)
Gillette Nacet Stainless (2)
Cold rinse
Thayers Superhazel
TOBS No74 Victorian Lime aftershave

SOTN - Saturday evening
Pre: Noxzema/Hot-towels, then RazoRock menthol/lime soap
Cream: Antica Barbieria Colla (ABC)
Brush: El Druida "Chubbic Dark Night" 26mm 2-band Finest
Razor 1: ERN 1934
Razor 2: Schick dial adjustable (M15)
Blade: (NOS) Gillette Platinum Plus 1973 (2)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel with 444, followed by ABC "Tabacco Verde" balm
Final shave with the ERN before it goes to its new owner on Tuesday. Still has a super sharp edge, managed 2 passes (WTG/XTG) with a ATG touch-up pass with the Schick.
This ABC cream is an absolute joy to use. Slick aromatic lather with top-notch skin care.

C&E West Indian limes cream
Frank Shaving 28mm pur-tech
Weber PH
Polsilver SI
C&E West Indian limes ASB
Acqua Di Parma Colonia Intensa

Beer and curry await ...

Greetings

Sunday 23rd May 2015
Prep: Shower
Razor: Ever Ready Streamline
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated