S.O.T.D. Saturday 29th April to Friday 5th May 2017

J. Peterman 1903 shave cream

This is a special cream made by Creighton I am sure as it lathers marvelously just like the top shelf English creams and has a wonderful nostalgic scent:

http://www.jpeterman.com/item/mac-1403/199211/1903-concentrated-shaving-cream

Yes, it's a very good cream that I was hooked on for quite a while years ago and really should get another tub sometime. Excellent performer with a vintage oakmossy sorta thing going on. Not that pricey for a large container with reasonable shipping here in Yankeetown USA. Oh, for some reason I have the feeling about it being made in the States somewhere but can't be sure.

For any fans of the show 'Seinfeld', the J Peterman Company often was involved with the script in various ways. Most people I know think it's fictional but far from it and actually the catalogue is a pretty darn good read. Nice stuff....eclectic and purty and handsome stuff. Quality things too, at least the multiple clothing pieces have been and there's even very good sales in certain limited sizes. Worth looking em up online sometime.

Heh, I believe there may be a few other members with thet thar kinda 1903 druthers of yours.

Last edited:
5ef88d2337ab89217fd4be16f4fc9914.jpg

Gartbnx....

Greetings
I just love the retro look of that handle, it looks like the style some of the old German slants used. Nice to see someone making a Titanium razor with a real old school look about it, certainly to my eye the best looker of the "new breed" of razors.
Perhaps I am just a lover of traditional razor styles. I'm glad you are getting on well with it.

Regards
Dick.
I also like the look, and the feel of the razor. After a couple of shaves I'm very impressed.
Take care.

Morning gents,

My 13th straight shave.

Yesterday was my birthday and I'd promised the person who bought me this beautiful Max Sprecher razor as a present, that I would use it on my birthday!

So use it I did… I did use this razor once, when it first arrived over a month ago and then promised I wouldn't use it again until the day. I lathered up using two of my favourite products, my ATG Shavemac Unique and Wickham 1912 Chasmere, not much to say here because they were fantastic as usual…

Back to the razor, I struggled a little with it the first time I used it and unfortunately I struggled with it again last night. I love this razor aesthetically and the feel of it in hand, but I just struggle with the actual shave. I'm still not anywhere near proficient with a Straight Razor, but some I get on with better than others at this beginners stage that I'm at. This razor I can use just fine on my cheeks, under the nose is just about OK, the chin is nearly impossible, I can do that area with other straights, I have no idea why I can't with this razor! My neck, I got through, but I've got a fair bit of irritation and a couple of weepers… No cuts or nicks at least. I sincerely hope I learn how to use this razor properly, it means a lot to me and it's my most beautiful (and expensive) piece of shaving equipment so I will certainly be persevering!

The second pass was also a first for me for the last year! I didn't have any blades in the bathroom and I didn't want to disturb my sleeping lady, banging around getting a new pack of blades, I did however have a brand new Cornerstone Cartridge Razor. I haven't used a cartridge, like I said, for a year, so I picked it up with some trepidation. Well, I was reasonably pleasantly surprised. It did the job, without adding to any irritation, not the smoothest finish, but it was reasonable. My neck is still quite red this morning in places and I imagine I'm going to have a few ingrown hairs which are a real pain in the bum. Never mind. All in all, not the best birthday shave, but hey-ho, I had a lovely evening regardless and look forward to this evening and the weekend where there are a few more things planned.

Enjoy the rest of your Friday gents and enjoy the weekend!

img_20170504_231422-01-jpeg.11580

Have you given our blades and creams a try? Happy to give you guys a 50% off code to try? sterlingshaveclub.com

Back
Top Bottom