S.O.T.D. Saturday 30th May to Friday 5th June 2015

Brush: Edwin Jagger synthetic XL
Soap: A sample of Acqua Di Parma Collezione Barbiere Shaving Cream from House of Fraser.
Razor: Weber Polish Head
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
ASL: Speick

The second use of the free sample of Acqua Di Parma Collezione Barbiere Shaving Cream. It's scent free so it smells of fresh chemicals, a bit like Nivea Sensitive, not unpleasant but not a selling point. It easily makes thick lather but doesn't seem particularly slick, a bit like Nivea Sensitive. However, there was zero sting from the Speick so it must be doing something right. At £37 a tub is expensive, not a bit like Nivea Sensitive! Personally, I think these two last shaves have been a wasted opportunity to enjoy a better, nicer smelling soap. But at least I didn't have to spend £37 to find that out.

Monday
Razor - GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf (courtesy of The Gordie Shaver)
Blade - GEM Personna
Brush - Simpson Chubby 2 Best Badger
Soap - MWF
A /S - TOBS Victorian limes
attachment.php

[attachment=14146]
First shave with this razor, arrived on Saturday and bought from Derrick, it's in immaculate and gave a fantastically close shave. Thanks Derrick for the speedy service. :icon_razz:

Attachments

• 14331394173020.jpg
    14331394173020.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 152
Monday

Afternoon, all.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJDE89
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Brush: Kabuki Bamboo
Shave cream: Flint
Aftershave: Forest Fresh
Cologne:

IMG_0806.JPG

Bulldog Face Wash
Meißner Tremonia Salty Sea Sage (Soft)
Kent Infinity Silvertex
Waterford Crystal (Gillette Trac II) & Feather FII (8)
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Parfums Bleu Blue Stratos Aftershave & EDT

Bowl Lathered
Two Pass - WTG & WTG (Slide)

Bigger than I'd imagined, the Waterford Crystal razor is a Gillette Trac II compatible and a real joy to use. I did wonder just how slippery a glass razor might get, the fear being it would be dropped in the sink and become an expensive head, but it didn't happen. It's actually easy to keep a hold of, a good weight and delivers an intuitive shave, the neck being longer than most Gillette Trac II type razors.

Onto the soap ...

Yes, altogether now: "another run with a Meißner Tremonia soap", tonight being time for their Salty Sea Sage in soft paste form. Wet brush, just flicked out, loading is perfectly straightforward and then into the bowl. My technique with synthetics is to start out dry and add water slowly to build up a good, strong lather. Lathering up needed, I would think, maybe a teaspoon of water adding in several goes. Thick, cushioning lather. I think the way to split the hard soap and the soft paste is to say that the paste is creamier, the hard soap more cushioning.

Scent? It's sage. Just as if you like lavender, you'll love their lavender ... if you like sage, you'll love it! It's flanked with two, well three other key ingredients that distinguish this soap from the rest of the range: camphor oil and amyris resin, and citric acid. I think the camphor gives it that woody earthiness that would otherwise be lacking in a pure floral/herbal scent, the amyris rounding it all off.

Much enjoyed!

I think I am going to buy the full soap of this scent ... more likely as a hard soap as I enjoy the Lavender Deluxe so much as hard soap and think it quite similar in many ways.

Absolutely zero fancy about tonights shave. It happened to be my first attempt with a shavette.

Prep: Rock Face scrub post shower and hot towel
Soap: L'Occitane Cade
Brush: Wilkinson Sword boar bristle
Razor: Bluebeards Revenge Shavette
Blade: Israeli

As mentioned, this was my first ever use of a shavette or indeed a straight razor of any kind. I fully expected bloodshed that would require Dexters attendance, and my resuscitation (I don't do copious amounts of claret). I did not get the claret at anywhere near the level I expected. Three small nicks, which is far less than when I used a cartridge razor. I now have a distinct desire for a quality blade...

Saturdays shave:

Razorock xxx
Muhle synthetic
Super Max super platinum
Ikon deluxe OC

My first shave with this new (to me) razor. I found the open comb to be just right, not aggressive but very efficient. A great shave.

Tonights shave:

The same as above except I swapped the OC plate for the SB plate, and what a difference. Much more aggressive, I had read on here about it being like this. Plenty of balm after the shave and my face is beginning to feel normal again. I definitely need more practice with this one. Overall I am very pleased with the Ikon.

Prep - Shower / Pre-lather / 3 min steam towel
Razor - Gillette Slim Adjustable @ 9
Blade - Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge Yellow (#4)
Brush - Omega 10810
Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
After - Frozen towel / Alum & WH Mix
Result - BBS +

Finally got around to getting Mitchell's Wool Fat, and I have one major question - what is all the fuss about this being difficult to lather? I found it easier than Arko!
I need a new abbreviation for my results, as I feel BBS (excuse the pun) just isn't cutting it. BBS to me is smooth all over, no stubble to feel. In a 10x mirror, I'll still see stubble. The results I achieved tonight can't be seen in the mirror, and consequently I won't feel stubble until tomorrow evening.
The 7 O'Clock SharpEdge Yellow continues to impress me. I thought 9 on the Slim might prove too aggressive but no, still got an amazing shave.

Back
Top Bottom